Sennheiser PXC 550 Discussion and Reviews
Apr 8, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #91 of 206
I owned the 600, I wish I bought the 650. Massdrop had a sale on a model called the HD6XX or something like that. It was the HD650 with some modernization and sold for a really good price which has lowered the value of the HD650. You might want to see if you can find a used one of those as well as the 650. I tried to by the HD6xx but the whole Massdrop system ground to halt when they went on sale as people rushed to buy them. They were sold out in less than 1 hour...

If you want to save money look in the for sale section here on Head-fi. Or just go new if you have a good deal lined up on an HD650.

Apr 8, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #92 of 206
In a sad way, that's great to hear...
Mine are back in the box and shipping back tomorrow morning.

You know what's kinda funny?  You got me more curious tonight so I reconnected them to my phone and they were still quiet... until I "turned them up" with my finger on the right cup!  DERP.  I guess the analog input on these is run through their internal mixer, which is pretty smart but somewhat unintuitive.  They got plenty loud after that.

Sorry if you otherwise liked them but have already sent them down the road.  Also, mine almost never need to be charged.  Battery life seems to defy physics with these things.

Apr 8, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #93 of 206
You know what's kinda funny?  You got me more curious tonight so I reconnected them to my phone and they were still quiet... until I "turned them up" with my finger on the right cup!  DERP.  I guess the analog input on these is run through their internal mixer, which is pretty smart but somewhat unintuitive.  They got plenty loud after that.

Sorry if you otherwise liked them but have already sent them down the road.  Also, mine almost never need to be charged.  Battery life seems to defy physics with these things.

I could replicate the same with my iPad. I lost volume when listening out of my mixer and//or the Headpad amp.

Thanks all for your patience. I realize I parachuted into this thread with my first post here and am already moving on. For that I apologize and I, in no way, mean any ill will to these fine headphones. In their intended applications, they work great and sound terrific. In my specific situation, they haven't worked out. That's my issue, not the product. I have a lot more questions about what I should be doing for my situation, but I've already pullled this thread OT enough, so I will ask them elsewhere on this site. Thanks again!

Apr 14, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #94 of 206

Glad to hear the battery life is working well for you!

Being that these PXC 550 are a Bluetooth model, they have a matched amp in the signal path, and the volume controls on the headset will still work when connected with an analog wire (3.5mm). You tried exactly what I was going to suggest when I started catching up on this thread, good thinking!

I could replicate the same with my iPad. I lost volume when listening out of my mixer and//or the Headpad amp.

Thanks all for your patience. I realize I parachuted into this thread with my first post here and am already moving on. For that I apologize and I, in no way, mean any ill will to these fine headphones. In their intended applications, they work great and sound terrific. In my specific situation, they haven't worked out. That's my issue, not the product. I have a lot more questions about what I should be doing for my situation, but I've already pullled this thread OT enough, so I will ask them elsewhere on this site. Thanks again!

What kind of instruments do you play? What kind of listening environment do you have (do you need isolation for microphones, or do you play a digital instrument that requires a speaker to be heard)? Feel free to PM me and perhaps I can share a few recommendations.

Carry on everyone!
:D

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Apr 14, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #95 of 206
I play both keys and bass. Not a recording environment but a practice space, so no mics in play (although when I play live, I use a Sennheiser wireless system with a Countryman headset mic).

For the curious, I've blown up my practice rig.
Here's what I've done:

Returned the PXC 550s.
Bought HD650s
Retired my 15 year old Mackie mixer (going to eBay for whatever it'll fetch)
replaced the Mackie with a new Allen and Heath mixer with digital out.
Got a Schiit Modi Uber DAC and Valhalla 2 headphone amp.

Instruments and pre-recorded music will run through Mixer digital out to the Modi, then the Valhalla 2, then the HD650s.

Will put it all together tonight, but I expect significant improvement vs. my old PXC450s straight out of the Mackie.

Apr 15, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #96 of 206
I agree the volume on the 550's when using an iPod or phone is not loud enough. V-Moda have an amazing range and to me are very balances between highs, mids and bass especially if you listed to newer genres.

Apr 26, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #98 of 206
Since PXC550 works via USB, i tried to connect to my iPad Pro using Apple's USB 3 Camera Adapter - that works too!

it's certainly louder than on bluetooth at the same volume level on the iPad. And this setup works also on my iPhone.

May 1, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #99 of 206
Just picked up a pair of PXC550's for $240/ea (used, bought two, since I needed an offering for the SO's happiness on airplane rides). So far, so good... has way more features than I realized. I'm actually enjoying ANC in the office since I'm near an open space where a lot of people work. It's rather nice for that. :)

Using it paired to an iPhone 7 Plus, makes it pretty essential for my business and personal travel. Have yet to try phone call controls, however the portability right now can't be beat. Hopefully the battery compares to my Sony 950BT's!

Jul 8, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #100 of 206
My first pair that I bought last week had a small problem: when the ANC was at its maximum setting, the white noise hiss (that is characteristic of ANC implementations) was heard pretty much only in the left earpiece. This created a slight sense of imbalance when there was no music or podcast playing, or when there was a pause in a podcast. Even though the effect was slight, it was annoying enough that I wanted to return the pair and get another pair of the PXC 550. The person at the store was kind enough to agree to it. My second pair is more balanced in this regard, but still seems to have a slight imbalance to the left earpiece in terms of the ANC hiss, but not annoyingly, or even almost noticeably so. In both pairs the actual audio has been balanced from what I could tell, only the hiss had an imbalance. Has anyone else noticed the same hiss-imbalance?

In both of the pairs I've had there has been slightly less hiss than in the QC20i that I own, and probably slightly less hiss than in the QC25 and QC35 that I tested at the store.

Another small annoyance I have is the touchpad of the right earpiece. I find that I touch it accidentally when I adjust the headphones, resulting in me either making the currently playing podcast jump to the start (I'll have to read the manual for the gesture that does this), or making the next podcast start playing. Sometimes I also pause the current audio (tap gesture). This only happens when using Bluetooth -- when the audio cable is connected, only the volume up/down gestures, the battery level gesture (hold for 4 secs) and the double-tap gesture for temporarily reducing the ANC (by routing the mics to the headphones) seem to work, and accidental touches don't usually result in anything annoying. There doesn't seem to be an easy software or mechanical solution to disable the touchpad, so connecting the audio cable instead of using Bluetooth seems to be the best solution, if the touchpad becomes too annoying. It's nice that this solution exists though, and it demonstrates how versatile these headphones are, making the PXC 550 act almost like a PXC 480.

Otherwise the PXC 550 seem very nice. My QC20i (black-grey, i.e. first generation) have had problems (https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/205173/How+to+fix+'static'+noise+on+Bose+QC20i+Noise+Cancelling+Headphones) for a long while, and I was thinking of getting the QC25 or QC35 as a replacement, hoping that their build quality would be better due to there being more room for components. Having read many reports of a characteristic problem of the QC25 (https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/237606/The+left+ear+is+not+giving+audio) and fearing that QC35 might have the same problem, I picked the Sennheisers instead.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #101 of 206
Maybe one of you can help me figure this out. The manual states that the PXC 550 can pair with 8 devices, but I really only can connect to 2.
I got a Phone, A Tablet , My PC and my FiiO X7. The 550 Connects to two of them (calling them both phones) but when I try to connect to a third or fourth there seems to be some conflicts. For example when I have 2 devices connected the third may conflict with one of the others, so there will be 2 "Phone 1s" and there's connection or playback issues. It only seems to be stable when only 2 devices are paired.
In comparison, the Bose wireless headphones calls each device by their actual names. And you can switch between them with the flick of a switch without conflicts.Bose also provides firmware updates, perhaps Sennheiser can do the same?

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #102 of 206
I'm new to the forum, but have been reading reviews and articles as I test several Bluetooth noise canceling headphones. Out of VModa Crossfade 2 Wireless, JBL Everest Elite 700, Bose QC35, Sony MDR-1000x and the PXC 550, the Sony and the Sennheiser would be my top picks. Unfortunately both have serious faults that make them hard for me to be satisfied. The Sony is great, but I've seen too many posts and reviews of cracked headbands to even want to risk it. Too bad, because it's otherwise great.

As far as the PXC 550, there's a lot to like.

They're comfortable for those without big ears or particularly big heads. I've got a pretty large melon and these still fit comfortably, but just barely. The QC 35 was much more comfortable in every respect and the headband expands much more. Still, the Sennheiser are comfortable for frequent, extended use.

Sound quality is good. I've found this model brings out more detail in the music, particularly in things like cymbals, high hats, certain brass and woodwinds. In stock mode, the bass is a little weak, but setting Director mode with rumble boost fixes that well enough. Overall, I found it to be on par with the Sony. The Vmoda also sounds good, but is a bit too bass heavy for my taste. The JBL sounded surprisingly good, but was the least comfortable.

ANC is good, but not as effective as the Bose or the Sony. It works well enough though. One problem is wind noise. With ANC on full, wind noise is amplified to the point of almost overpowering the music. The adaptive mode is better, but when it's windy, I end up having to turn off ANC altogether.

In general the controls work reasonably. Twist on/works fine. It's nice to have the ANC switch and the effect button instead of relying on an app like others. For the touch controls, you have to be pretty accurate with your swipes, but it does work and makes for a nice UI for playing music and videos. I like that I can use the volume control when wired. It's particularly nice for using with a PS4 controller.

However, the touch controls are also the fatal flaw for this headphone. It's completely unsuited to making calls, especially business or work calls. The gesture for ending a call is a single tap, and even brushing the ear cup often results in dropped calls. Earlier today, I raised my arms to stretch while on a call and brushed the ear cup with my shoulder. Dropped call. It's happened to me a few times during conference calls for work. You have to be very careful and conscious of the touch controls while on a call, and that's a hassle I don't need. I have other Bluetooth headsets I can use for calls, but this is a major design oversight, especially given the large number of gestures the phone supports. Sony manages this issue by requiring a double tap to hang up. If it wasn't for this, I'd gladly keep the PXC 550, but as it stands, I'm not convinced.

The case is really kind of cheap when compared to the Bose and Sony included cases. If I keep the Sennheiser, I'll have to buy a third party case. Harder materials aren't that expensive. Don't be cheap Sennheiser.

The Captune app is another weak point. The JBL Headphones and Parrot Zik apps are examples of well done apps. The Sennheiser offering is disappointing. If you're on Tidal or use files on your phone, then it's worthwhile. For the rest of us, the only real utility is the ability to customize the Director sound effect mode and setting a few options.

I like the PXC 550 and I'm inclined to keep them, if not for the dropped call problem. Beyond that, they are excellent headphones for the price point. However, I'd probably opt for the MDR-1000x if the headband wasn't a concern.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #103 of 206
I got the QC35 and while i like everything about it including the easy comfortable sound signature, i can't keep my eyes away from the ton of features of the Sennheiser PXC 550 (I feel it money Vs. features is much better ratio than the Bose", however i have one concern about the comfort of it considering that i have an average head and average size ears but i have a TMJ problem in my jaw that made most over ears from another manufactures not comfortable to me specially Sony, is the clasping strength really stronger than QC35 and the padding is less??,
Also talking about Captune, the app does it save the setting into the headphone it self so i can use the saved settings into the headphones when connected to any device even without captune??

Sep 8, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #104 of 206
I got the QC35 and while i like everything about it including the easy comfortable sound signature, i can't keep my eyes away from the ton of features of the Sennheiser PXC 550 (I feel it money Vs. features is much better ratio than the Bose", however i have one concern about the comfort of it considering that i have an average head and average size ears but i have a TMJ problem in my jaw that made most over ears from another manufactures not comfortable to me specially Sony, is the clasping strength really stronger than QC35 and the padding is less??,
Also talking about Captune, the app does it save the setting into the headphone it self so i can use the saved settings into the headphones when connected to any device even without captune??

I find the 550's not quite as comfortable as the QC35's but there's not a lot in it. I think the main problem for me is that the oval shape of the 550's is a bit narrow for my ears, especially at the bottom, so they don't totally enclose my ear, they nip in places and I do keep having to readajust them after 20 mins of use, and again until I get them spot on, after which they settle in and become OK.
With theQC35's I found them to be comfortable to the point that you could almost forget you were wearing them...
Captune only works when playing music and using the Captune player/app. So the Captune settings are not saved to the headset. The 4 Effects modes are saved to the phone and are permanent until changed by the user via the small pairing button being pressed to cycle through the 4 effects modes. The 'Director' effect mode is customisable and can be saved as a default
I think that if I could have lived with the gritty and detached top end of the QC35's I would have preferred them over the 550's but I am very happy now with the 550's since setting up the (limited) customisable Director effects mode.
None of these ANC headsets are perfect, they all have their pluses and minuses hence this forum...
I would definitely avoid the Sony MDX1000 - way too many problems with poor quality design/manufacture...

Sep 8, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #105 of 206
I find the 550's not quite as comfortable as the QC35's but there's not a lot in it. I think the main problem for me is that the oval shape of the 550's is a bit narrow for my ears, especially at the bottom, so they don't totally enclose my ear, they nip in places and I do keep having to readajust them after 20 mins of use, and again until I get them spot on, after which they settle in and become OK.
With theQC35's I found them to be comfortable to the point that you could almost forget you were wearing them...
Captune only works when playing music and using the Captune player/app. So the Captune settings are not saved to the headset. The 4 Effects modes are saved to the phone and are permanent until changed by the user via the small pairing button being pressed to cycle through the 4 effects modes. The 'Director' effect mode is customisable and can be saved as a default
I think that if I could have lived with the gritty and detached top end of the QC35's I would have preferred them over the 550's but I am very happy now with the 550's since setting up the (limited) customisable Director effects mode.
None of these ANC headsets are perfect, they all have their pluses and minuses hence this forum...
I would definitely avoid the Sony MDX1000 - way too many problems with poor quality design/manufacture...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back