Sennheiser PXC 550 Discussion and Reviews
Mar 12, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #77 of 206
Yup, captunes is a music player but it also is just the app you use to set specific features like smart pause on the headphones. Once the feature is set then you don't need to use the captunes app.

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #79 of 206
The complete list of functions the 550 is capable of is quite extensive. If you look through this thread and the official 550 sponsor thread you will see where I kept apologizing because I missed so many of the things it could do :).

Highlights I really are the ability to set a custom EQ I can use (its not super extensive but can be handy) plus the built in EQ's. The ability to be paired to 2 devices. The ability to use a smartphone enabled audio cable, the ability to use (and charge simultaneously) the USB cable with a computer for music plus headset (think apps like Skype). It really ticks off pretty much every box feature wise.

Mar 13, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #80 of 206
The complete list of functions the 550 is capable of is quite extensive. If you look through this thread and the official 550 sponsor thread you will see where I kept apologizing because I missed so many of the things it could do :).

Highlights I really are the ability to set a custom EQ I can use (its not super extensive but can be handy) plus the built in EQ's. The ability to be paired to 2 devices. The ability to use a smartphone enabled audio cable, the ability to use (and charge simultaneously) the USB cable with a computer for music plus headset (think apps like Skype). It really ticks off pretty much every box feature wise.

Yes they are superb and tick all the boxes for me, if I can get past some of these little niggles then I guess I am good. Need to try and figure out why some music that is downloaded to the phone is not playable. In one case it is 4 tracks on one album whereas the rest is playable. Not a biggie though and I may find I don't need the equaliser anyway.

Thanks for all of your help :xf_eek:

Apr 7, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #81 of 206
First post, so thanks in advance for your patience.

Hoping for a bit of help with my new 550s.

I bought the 550s for the feature set and Sennheiser sound to upgrade from a much loved pair of PXC 450s.  Use is some travel but mostly practicing music (I play a couple of instruments for a couple of bands and practice under headphones).  The 450s have been great for this.

Took the 550s to my practice room last night and used the included hard wire to connect the 550s to my Mackie mixer.  SIGNIFICANTLY quiter than the 450s under the same conditions.  Stuck an Aphex Headpod 4 (headphone preamp) between the mixer and the headphones.  Again, the 550s were unusably quiet, but the 450s were screaming - loud and clear well beyond a comfortable listening level.

On the 550s, bluetooth was off (disabled when hard wired) and I didn't have any DSP happening.  What gives?  I was expecting equal or better output vs. the 450s - especially with the Aphex in line.  I don't get it and I can't keep them under these circumstances.  I have got to be missing something obvious - what could it be?!

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Apr 7, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #82 of 206
Unfortunately I have not heard the 450 model so am unfamiliar with how loud it would go. But I can say the 550 is not as loud as any other headphone I own and it doesn't matter if I use them hardwired or with bluetooth. If need them to be loud they won't do what you need.

You might want to give the new 4.50 BTNC a try instead. They don't have quite the same set of features but they may not have the same volume level cap.

Apr 7, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #83 of 206
Unfortunately I have not heard the 450 model so am unfamiliar with how loud it would go. But I can say the 550 is not as loud as any other headphone I own and it doesn't matter if I use them hardwired or with bluetooth. If need them to be loud they won't do what you need.

You might want to give the new 4.50 BTNC a try instead. They don't have quite the same set of features but they may not have the same volume level cap.

Thanks!  The more I think about it, BTNC was a nice to have with the 550 "upgrade" because I have NC on the 450s and BT seemed cool.  Practically speaking my true use is practicing at home and I'm not doing much air travel these days, so the BTNC isn't such a big deal.  Thinking I might just return the PCX 550s for something more straightforward like the HD600s.  They're pretty high impedance at 300 ohms, but thinking the Aphex Headpod 4 should push them just fine.

Apr 7, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #84 of 206
The HD600 is a wonderful headphone as is the HD650. If your practice room is quiet you will love their open sound due due to being open back. If your room is noisy due to loud computers or anything like that or if you need to make sure sound leaking is not an issue for recording purposes then you might want to look at something like the HD200Pro, HD280Pro, HD380Pro, or one of the HD 6/7/8 models.

Apr 7, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #85 of 206
Practice room is away from other parts of the house and quiet, so that's all good as it relates to the 600s or other open ear concepts. 

I'm still perplexed about the low levels on the 550s though.  They were louder by Bluetooth (about the right volume for listening, maybe even a little loud when full up), but 1/3 or less the volume when hard wired into my practice rig.  I've gotta be missing something.  How do I be SURE they're fully in passive mode? 

Sorry for the noob questions.  If I can't solve this at home tonight the 550s are going back.

Thanks again!

Apr 7, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #86 of 206
Hmmmmm, that's a good question. The on off switch is built into the swivel of the cup so it technically is turned on when you wear the headphone. Reading the manual you can turn off ANC but that's about it unless the battery is dead.

Apr 7, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #88 of 206
They were almost unusably quiet for me when passively wired as well... even with an amp. Kinda sad for studio work in certain situations.

In a sad way, that's great to hear. I'm not crazy. After fully charging them last night, still getting asked to charge them tonight. I can't live with cans I can't turn off to passive and make the most of in passive mode without them fussing. I'm out.. Mine are back in the box and shipping back tomorrow morning. Now looking at HD 600, 650 AND 700. Tilting to the 700s for lower impedance and high db. Maybe I'll just rock on with my PXC 450s and forget this upgrade notion.

Apr 7, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #89 of 206
I have owned the HD600 and have listened to the HD650 and 700. The 600 will be the most neutral, the 650 is darker in presentation and the 700 is very bright (way to bright for my tastes). Personally I would stick with thr 600 or 650 and base it on whether you want more neutral or more bass and the warmer 650 signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back