Sennheiser PXC 550 Discussion and Reviews
Dec 12, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #136 of 206
The pxc550 goes on sale quite frequently. I got mine for $250. I forgot if it was frys or buydig.
How would the 598/599 sound in comparison? Yes, I got mine for $299 with a free $50 gift card from Bestbuy a few days ago. Even at that price I can still get the open and closed 598’s for Less on Amazon. Just wondering if you get similar better sound quality.

Dec 12, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #137 of 206
How would the 598/599 sound in comparison? Yes, I got mine for $299 with a free $50 gift card from Bestbuy a few days ago. Even at that price I can still get the open and closed 598’s for Less on Amazon. Just wondering if you get similar better sound quality.

I can't speak for the 598/599. I have the 595 and overall the 595 has better sound quality when in a controlled environment. They serve different purposes. If you could only have 1, then I'd say, stick with the 550 because it's so versatile.

Dec 14, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #138 of 206
I agree the volume on the 550's when using an iPod or phone is not loud enough. V-Moda have an amazing range and to me are very balances between highs, mids and bass especially if you listed to newer genres.
Which V-modas? I’m new to all this. I probably will return my 550’s. I think I’m going back to wired where I can get more bang for my buck. I’d like a fun air of headphones to use for a short commute and ten hour days in a cubicle. Don’t need noise cancellation but open back would prevent me from turning up the volume too. I listen to a lot of classical but also rock and alternative.

I’m no audiophile. I don’t have the budget to be one plus I like a little fun in my music, so it doesn’t have to be a flat neutral reference monitor sound, but not beats either. Something great quality for under $300 nearer $250 ish. Wired too. I Iisten only via my iPhone 8 Plus. I don’t want to get into amps or dacs.

The 550’s are cool but I don’t want to have to buy a pair of headphones every two years due to all the tech upgrades etc and all the fancy parts malfunctioning. The more gadgets the more likely it’ll break. I want a reliable great sounding pair I can use for years hopefully with earcups I can periodically replace. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dec 15, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #139 of 206
I am having a hard time getting Smart Pause to work properly - or should I say, not work. No matter how I position the headphones, my track will randomly pause if I turn or tilt my head. Does it with different devices (phone & laptop) and different players (spotify, audible, CapTune). Have taken the 550s back 2x now for replacements and all sets do it.

I think my head shape is normal. No side horns etc. But having to turn Smart Pause off is a bummer - I get interupted at work all the time and the feature is great when it works - which it does. Just too much....

Dec 15, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #140 of 206
I am having a hard time getting Smart Pause to work properly - or should I say, not work. No matter how I position the headphones, my track will randomly pause if I turn or tilt my head. Does it with different devices (phone & laptop) and different players (spotify, audible, CapTune). Have taken the 550s back 2x now for replacements and all sets do it.

I think my head shape is normal. No side horns etc. But having to turn Smart Pause off is a bummer - I get interupted at work all the time and the feature is great when it works - which it does. Just too much....
I have the exact same problem. I think it’s fairly common. I have also had to turn off that feature. BUT, sometimes I turn it back on and it works perfectly for days before it starts playing up again...
There are comments somewhere in the Sennheiser App that mention a specific method of turning on the Smart Pause feature - as if it needs to ‘learn’ between off and on - maybe it’s worth persevering with the learn feature?
Apart from this problem (which is only a minor thing for me) I love these headphones...

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #141 of 206
I have the exact same problem. I think it’s fairly common. I have also had to turn off that feature. BUT, sometimes I turn it back on and it works perfectly for days before it starts playing up again...
There are comments somewhere in the Sennheiser App that mention a specific method of turning on the Smart Pause feature - as if it needs to ‘learn’ between off and on - maybe it’s worth persevering with the learn feature?
Apart from this problem (which is only a minor thing for me) I love these headphones...

Dec 15, 2017 at 4:00 AM Post #142 of 206
Don't recall where I read it, and frankly, I may be confusing it with another of my headphones, but supposedly, the Smart Pause feature calibrates when the headphone is turned on.

I've had good luck turning both sides into on/listening position and waiting a few seconds before putting them on my head. It seems to work better that way, but I may be just be talking out of my ass.

It definitely helps to adjust them to form a good seal. You can turn them a little before they click off so they line up better with your ears and head.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #143 of 206
Don't recall where I read it, and frankly, I may be confusing it with another of my headphones, but supposedly, the Smart Pause feature calibrates when the headphone is turned on.

I've had good luck turning both sides into on/listening position and waiting a few seconds before putting them on my head. It seems to work better that way, but I may be just be talking out of my ass.

It definitely helps to adjust them to form a good seal. You can turn them a little before they click off so they line up better with your ears and head.

Yes I think you are right - I too remember that somewhere in the instructions it’s best to wait a few seconds before putting them on, need more experimentation...

Dec 15, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #144 of 206
Thanks everyone, will have a play with different conditions when activating Smart Pause. Have emailed Sennheiser to get the inside story as well.

When I contacted them originally asking about a possible firmware update to lessen the feature's sensitivity, the reply I got was;

Thank you for contacting Sennheiser Australia. We are sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with the performance of your Sennheiser product. We aim to build all our products to the highest technical and manufacturing standards, and many of our products have won prestigious design and technology awards.

Currently there is no plans on changing the smart pause feature.

It seems in this case your experience has not lived up to our ideals, for which we are sorry. We take all such feedback seriously, and ensure that it is shared with our design and product teams in Germany in order that any shortcomings or issues can be addressed in future product designs.
If you remain unhappy with the performance of the product, you can take it back to the retailer you purchased it from for an exchange or refund at their discretion.

Dec 21, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #145 of 206
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Over Ear Wireless vs PCX550

I am considering buying my first pair of wireless headphones and am looking at both the Momentum 2.0 and the PCX 550. While there are plenty of reviews of both pairs, there doesn't seem to be a real comparison between the two. They currently are going for a similar price, so I thought I'd share my thoughts and ask for some opinions.

I currently own a pair of 558s (via FiiO E10K) and wired Momentum 2.0 Over Ears (via iPhone 6s, the FiiO E10K or a FiiO Q1ii). Between the two, I currently prefer the Momentums due to better and tighter bass. While the 558s sound wide and open, they lack in bass response and almost sound a bit tinny compared to the Momentums.

I really like that both the Momentum 2.0 and the PCX 550 can be used wired and wireless. Bluetooth and ANC are convenience factors which I would like to use while commuting and travelling, but I would also like to retain the ability to get good wired sound with a dedicated DAC+Amp.

Based on everything I have read, but without having listened to either headphone, I have come up with the following comparison:

Momentum 2.0:
- better design (subjective!)
- better and tighter bass
- louder in wireless mode
- familiar sound, similar to the wired Momentums in wired mode
- could replace my wired Momentums if the sound really is as good
- lacks ability to switch off ANC in wireless mode which is my main issues with these headphones!
- sound via USB mode does not seem that good (not sure if this is really true!), so I would probably still want to a DAC + Amp in certain circumstances

PCX550
- ability to switch off (and adjust!) ANC in wireless mode
- longer battery life
- better bluetooth connectivity (Momentums seem to drop connections in certain circumstances)
- not sure if I'd like the touch controls
- not particularly loud in wireless mode
- the sound has been compared to the 598s, which are quite similar to my 558s. So subjectively perhaps not as good as the Momentums when it comes to bass, but more open
- some people have mentioned that USB mode is excellent and even works with i-devices via a lightening adapter. So if this mode is really that good, these could have the potential to replace all my other devices and headphones without even the need for DAC and amp. While commuting switch on the bluetooth. At home, plug it into the computer or iPhone via USB.

Opinions and thoughts welcome! Alternative is to stick with wired Momentums + FiiO Q1ii and hope/wait for the wireless Momentum 3.0 which might bring across some of the PCX features

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #146 of 206
Just a follow up on my Smart Pause issues; They have all but been resolved. What I did;

1/ Enabled the smart pause feature from Captune when the headphones were not on my head
2/ I played around with position over my ears - in short allowing the cups to sit lower and further back. More comfortable for me as well.

Has been working well for a few days. Had one instance where it was activating repeatedly - turn on and off seemed to help, but it could have been the repositiioning over my ears too.

Happy for now, so much so that I think I will get my wife a pair for christmas....

Dec 22, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #147 of 206
I demo'd these and the sony's yesterday, and went with the Senns.
For me, the sound was head and shoulders better than the Sony. The sony was dissapointing throughout the entire range. Bass was bloated, and the mids and highs were both extremely veiled and muddy.

The sens are nice and tight in the low end, neutral mids, although the top end is a bit much initially. It's easy to EQ it down though.

My ooonly complaint is that the BT volume (particularly from my PC) could use another 2 steps up, and 1 step up from my android.

Is there a workaround for increasing the BT volume being broadcast from devices?

Jan 4, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #148 of 206
Is it me, or when running the power completely off (battery must be dead to listen with battery off) and listening through the 3.5 mm to 2.5 mm line, do the dynamics sound more robust and wider? The battery must be completely drained to hear these this way. I like the PXC 550, but with the battery dead they sound much better!

Mar 13, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #150 of 206
I bought my PXC550's about a week ago. Like others, I struggled with the overall lack of volume. I believe this is entirely a software issue, related to the EQ and providing headroom for boosting frequencies on demand in the different sound modes. I A/B tested the 'flat' EQ vs bumping the entire curve up to max. I couldn't detect any difference in frequency response with the entire curve maxed... just an increase in volume. So my suggestion is to move the entire EQ curve up to max and then choose 'club' mode if you're looking for a little more punch. I've not noticed ANY distortion or downside to maxing the EQ across the entire frequency spectrum. In short, I don't think moving EQ values up is 'artificially boosting' those frequencies, rather I think it is 'reducing them less' than the theoretical max. Otherwise, AMAZING cans! Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back