Sennheiser PXC 450
Jan 25, 2011 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

johnlowe11

New Head-Fier
Ever since everyone at my school now own Beats, i have been looking for an alternative to beat them out. I first started with the Denon AH-D2000. I liked these but i think that the Sennheisers may be better. Im looking in terms of sound quality and performance as well as noise cancellation on the sennheisers. I would also like to know how these compare to the cheaper Sennheiser PXC 350 model and beats by dre (studio). Also, alternative products for around the same price would be appreciated. Thanks you

-John

Jan 25, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 7
I have the sennheiser pxc450, it sounds pretty good to me quite netreul expect a bit of boosted bass the bass is quite strong but never over powers anything or gets boomry, it's also quite detailed and clear and true to the source, i've never actually used the noise reduction and the only reason i brought them were because i got them for £40, i've had them for a couple of years now as my primary headphone and never felt the need to upgrade from them.

Feb 9, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 7
JonC,
Please inform me on how these headphones compared to the QC15's and how these perform.

Also anyone else i just ordered these but i dont know wether to return them or not

Feb 24, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
JonC,
Please inform me on how these headphones compared to the QC15's and how these perform.

Also anyone else i just ordered these but i dont know wether to return them or not

I finally was able to fly with the PXC 450's so I can make a comment now. 

I've been using IEM's when I fly (SE310 and S4) for the last couple years, but recently decided to go the full size ANC route because I got tired of sticking the IEM's in my ears.  My original thought was that I wanted the best noise cancelling I could get as a priority over SQ.  With this in mind, I got a set of QC15's.  The noise cancelling of these was great and the SQ was adequate.  I then started wondering if my priorities were wrong and I should instead get something with great SQ and adequate noise cancelling.  So, I returned the QC15's and got the PXC 450.  

So far, I'm happy with my decision.  On the plane, the noise cancelling of the PXC 450 is pretty good.  Its probably not as good as the QC15, but it does reduce a lot of the drone and I couldn't tell a significant difference between the two.  As far as SQ, the PXC 450 is noticeably better than the QC15 (to me).  I liked the warm sound of the QC15, but it seemed kind of flat to me.  The PXC 450 seems more dynamic or rich as compared to the QC15.  They're definitely not bass monsters, but can have good bass when it is in the song.  They are pretty detailed and have a nice natural sound. 

One significant advantage to the PXC 450 is that they sound good when the ANC is by-passed.  For example, tonight I am in a fairly quiet room so I am listening to them without ANC (using a PA2V2 amp) and they sound great.  With the QC15, you must have the ANC on, whether you need it or not. 

Overall, I think they are the best choice (again, for me) in ANC headphones.  I haven't tried the ANC7b, but was worried about their sound leakage, so I dismissed them.  You can get some pretty good deals on the PXC 450 right now, so their value is better than it used to be.  I'll be keeping these.

Mar 3, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #6 of 7
I own both QC15 and PXC450.  JonC's comments are right -- I still cant tell you which one I prefer.  The PXC450 is a bit larger and feels a bit heavier, but it works when the batteries run out of active noise cancelling.  The QC15 is smaller, more comfy, sounds more neutral, but are just a pair of ear muffs when the batts run dry.

One under-rated function on the PXC450 (and the new CXC 700) is the TalkThrough function.  This is a button you press to allow outside noise enter the headphone, i.e. you can talk as if the headphones are not there.  This is really nice on flights ... although some cabin crew people look at you funny when you have conversations with them with the 450 on you :)  It is a neat feature.

Jun 14, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 7
blink.gif
How would PXC450 compare with:

Sennheiser CXC 700
or
Audio Technica ATH CKS90NC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back