Sennheiser Pronunciation
Jan 17, 2004 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Newbie1

100+ Head-Fier
Just a quick question here- how are you supposed to pronounce Sennheiser? Ive always said it like SEN-HI-ZER, but my friend says it like SEN-HOW-ZER. It never occured to me that I might be pronouncing it wrong before, but seeing as how Sennheiser is probably a German word, I might be.

Jan 17, 2004 at 12:09 AM Post #2 of 17

D-EJ915

He...or is it she...is a......Headphoneus Supremus
Auf Deutsch

zen-high-zer

In English

sen-high-zer

notice the Z and S difference

if you wanted "how" in german, it would be "hau", but I've never seen that...lol
tongue.gif
, basically, your friend is incorrect.

Jan 17, 2004 at 12:23 AM Post #4 of 17

philodox

Headphoneus Supremus
I sometimes catch myself saying SIGN-HIGH-ZER

its a bad habit... I know its SENN... SIGN just feels right for some reason
confused.gif

Jan 17, 2004 at 12:41 AM Post #5 of 17

JeffL

500+ Head-Fier
In german the S is pronounced like a Z. EI is pronounced like an I. The E is often accented like an A.

I don't think it is SAIN-HIGH-ZAR though. I've always pronounced in SENN-HIGH-ZER.

Dunno.

Jan 17, 2004 at 2:20 AM Post #6 of 17

raif

Headphoneus Supremus
The real question is, if you post in one of these threads before its moved to certifiably inane, does it still increase your post count?
tongue.gif

I always catch myself saying SIGN-HIGH-ZER. Oh well, luckily I write sennheiser alot more than I say it. I don't run in to many audiophiles in everyday life.

Jan 17, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #8 of 17

Demolition

1000+ Head-Fier
I pronounce it as "Sen-high-zer", but I've heard others pronounce it as "Sign-high-zer". I've never figured out why, but it seems to be popular.

D.

p.s. Another weird one is "Toshiba". The correct pronunciation is "Toe-shee-bah", but I keep hearing people say "Toe-shib-ah".
rolleyes.gif

Jan 17, 2004 at 5:01 AM Post #10 of 17

Demolition

1000+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
Kinda like Mitsubishi too...

It's mitt-tsu-bih-shee, not mit-tsu-bee-shee...

Or at least that's my aspect on it...haha.

Actually, the correct pronunciation is "me-tsu-be-she". An "i" in Japanese is pronounced as a long "e" (e.g. like the "i" in Suzuki or Kawasaki).

Not like it makes much of a difference. I suspect that most of us Westerners just can't wrap our mouths around foreign words and, a lot of the time, what we actually say/hear isn't even close to what we think we said/heard.
tongue.gif

D.

Jan 17, 2004 at 5:16 AM Post #12 of 17

kyrie

1000+ Head-Fier
Well, the "i" in japanese is like the "ey" in "key" except short.

And the "s" in german is like "sz." Not quite "z" all the way.

Jan 17, 2004 at 5:56 AM Post #13 of 17

lini

Thought the last line in Citizen Kane was nosebud.
Interesting theories - and mostly not too far astray.
wink.gif
Anyway, when being a short one like in S_e_nnheiser (that double n afterwards makes it very short, "Sen" would be longer, and "Sehn" very long...), our e is pronounced like in your "wreck" or "pen". Our s is mostly a mixture of your s and z, while our z here would be more like a ts for you. But there are local deviations in pronounciation, anyway - for example the er at the end is often a bit shortened to an a, especially in the southern part of the country. So you'd in fact find some variations from zen-hi-za to senn-high-ser.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

HighwayStar: Right you are - the eiser part is pronounced exactly identical. However, the u over here is pronounced like the ou in your "you", whereas your pronounciation of bud would be written as "bad" over here.

Jan 17, 2004 at 6:07 AM Post #14 of 17

lini

Thought the last line in Citizen Kane was nosebud.
Quote:

Originally posted by kyrie
Well, the "i" in japanese is like the "ey" in "key" except short.

Yup, or like the e in your "me", only shorter.
wink.gif
Or the ea in your "sea", only much shorter...

The Japanese guy from Mitsubishi I knew over here, seemed to swallow the t a bit though, so he pronounced it more like missu-be-she...

Oh, well...
smily_headphones1.gif

More greetings!

Lini

Users who are viewing this thread