Sennheiser Pronunciation
Jan 17, 2004 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Newbie1

100+ Head-Fier
Just a quick question here- how are you supposed to pronounce Sennheiser? Ive always said it like SEN-HI-ZER, but my friend says it like SEN-HOW-ZER. It never occured to me that I might be pronouncing it wrong before, but seeing as how Sennheiser is probably a German word, I might be.

Jan 17, 2004 at 12:09 AM Post #2 of 17
Auf Deutsch

zen-high-zer

In English

sen-high-zer

notice the Z and S difference

if you wanted "how" in german, it would be "hau", but I've never seen that...lol
tongue.gif
, basically, your friend is incorrect.

Jan 17, 2004 at 12:23 AM Post #4 of 17
I sometimes catch myself saying SIGN-HIGH-ZER

its a bad habit... I know its SENN... SIGN just feels right for some reason
confused.gif

Jan 17, 2004 at 12:41 AM Post #5 of 17
In german the S is pronounced like a Z. EI is pronounced like an I. The E is often accented like an A.

I don't think it is SAIN-HIGH-ZAR though. I've always pronounced in SENN-HIGH-ZER.

Dunno.

Jan 17, 2004 at 2:20 AM Post #6 of 17
The real question is, if you post in one of these threads before its moved to certifiably inane, does it still increase your post count?
tongue.gif

I always catch myself saying SIGN-HIGH-ZER. Oh well, luckily I write sennheiser alot more than I say it. I don't run in to many audiophiles in everyday life.

Jan 17, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #8 of 17
I pronounce it as "Sen-high-zer", but I've heard others pronounce it as "Sign-high-zer". I've never figured out why, but it seems to be popular.

D.

p.s. Another weird one is "Toshiba". The correct pronunciation is "Toe-shee-bah", but I keep hearing people say "Toe-shib-ah".
rolleyes.gif

Jan 17, 2004 at 5:01 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
Kinda like Mitsubishi too...

It's mitt-tsu-bih-shee, not mit-tsu-bee-shee...

Or at least that's my aspect on it...haha.

Actually, the correct pronunciation is "me-tsu-be-she". An "i" in Japanese is pronounced as a long "e" (e.g. like the "i" in Suzuki or Kawasaki).

Not like it makes much of a difference. I suspect that most of us Westerners just can't wrap our mouths around foreign words and, a lot of the time, what we actually say/hear isn't even close to what we think we said/heard.
tongue.gif

D.

Jan 17, 2004 at 5:16 AM Post #12 of 17
Well, the "i" in japanese is like the "ey" in "key" except short.

And the "s" in german is like "sz." Not quite "z" all the way.

Jan 17, 2004 at 5:56 AM Post #13 of 17
Interesting theories - and mostly not too far astray.
wink.gif
Anyway, when being a short one like in S_e_nnheiser (that double n afterwards makes it very short, "Sen" would be longer, and "Sehn" very long...), our e is pronounced like in your "wreck" or "pen". Our s is mostly a mixture of your s and z, while our z here would be more like a ts for you. But there are local deviations in pronounciation, anyway - for example the er at the end is often a bit shortened to an a, especially in the southern part of the country. So you'd in fact find some variations from zen-hi-za to senn-high-ser.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

HighwayStar: Right you are - the eiser part is pronounced exactly identical. However, the u over here is pronounced like the ou in your "you", whereas your pronounciation of bud would be written as "bad" over here.

Jan 17, 2004 at 6:07 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by kyrie
Well, the "i" in japanese is like the "ey" in "key" except short.

Yup, or like the e in your "me", only shorter.
wink.gif
Or the ea in your "sea", only much shorter...

The Japanese guy from Mitsubishi I knew over here, seemed to swallow the t a bit though, so he pronounced it more like missu-be-she...

Oh, well...
smily_headphones1.gif

More greetings!

Lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back