Sennheiser Orpheus HE 90 vs. HE 1 - Impressions of a direct comparison
May 6, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #31 of 153
Thanks. I just read your comparison once again and I'm very proud to still own the HE90. :)

May 6, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #32 of 153
Thanks. I just read your comparison once again and I'm very proud to still own the HE90. :)

HE90s are true legends. I keep attending headphone-related events and listening to all sorts of gear, and I’ve yet to hear anything like the old Orpheus is capable of.

It’s unbelievable that the T2 will raise the bar even further, and I’m really looking forward to having mine built.

May 6, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #33 of 153
HE90s are true legends. I keep attending headphone-related events and listening to all sorts of gear, and I’ve yet to hear anything like the old Orpheus is capable of.

It’s unbelievable that the T2 will raise the bar even further, and I’m really looking forward to having mine built.

You will be very surprised and then some. The DIY T2 is a true legend of an amp if you ask me. It helps any electrostatic to achieve its very true potential.

May 7, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #34 of 153
I have he90 and he1. I prefer the newer. There are tradeoffs. So I can see the op prefers the older. It evolved like any new model in some ways. It just happens to cost more. Like the difference between hd800 and hd800s. I do not mean the same differences I am just saying not everything is for everyone. The truth is it is not even a big deal to me personally. I will just purchase anything expensive. For instance you can see my old posts on my super cars. It has been said by many that I have more money than brains. Not exactly, I just feel the man that dies with the most toys wins. lol.

OH, I am using an amp I designed that I feel is far superior to either. It was originally based off of blue Hawaii but then strayed far from it. Just because I feel it is superior does not mean you would. To give you an idea though if I were to sell it I think I would ask $350,000. Not just hubris but I feel it is worth that. everyone knows some of this stuff is expensive. some guy would buy it, not bat an eye and be pleased. it is not for sale currently.

I liked his comparison though.

May 7, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #36 of 153
he posted the pictures on the front page of this thread. I never put my gear on the internet because I am paranoid. If you are saying you don't believe me well I can't help you there. Everyone knows I do not post pics though. well, tbh I posted a few years ago when I was drunk accidently. The old one was wood can see it anywhere. the new one is like glass and marble but I bet it is corian as they would weigh a ton. I am someone well known so I enjoy the anonymity of the internet. I mean if I did something bad I should and would be caught but I am not into anything bad. I enjoy talking on forums. I will tell you that people you wouldn't believe are too in the same manner I am. The only person that lets himself be known everywhere is well guess who....Tweet Tweet

May 7, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #37 of 153
OH, I am using an amp I designed that I feel is far superior to either. It was originally based off of blue Hawaii but then strayed far from it. Just because I feel it is superior does not mean you would. To give you an idea though if I were to sell it I think I would ask $350,000. Not just hubris but I feel it is worth that. everyone knows some of this stuff is expensive. some guy would buy it, not bat an eye and be pleased. it is not for sale currently.

That's interesting, because I thought that the HE1 can only be used with its own dedicated amp (because the last stage of amplification is done inside the eacups...)

May 7, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #38 of 153
OH, I am using an amp I designed that I feel is far superior to either.
Did you mod your HE1 headphones to bypass the MOSFETs?

May 7, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #39 of 153
No, I modified the amp I used with the HE90. I am an electronic/sound Engineer. It is no different in topology to theirs really at least in the output stage. Cascaded impedance reference follower. In fact their amp may be better I will admit. I just jumped to "far superior" but that is to me. I just wanted to use mine. Since I did not mod the headphones I can always use their amp. I do not have a schematic either. I built that from an idea in my head. It is working but tbh there are some issues. I can fiddle with mine more or just use the amp for them before I blow out expensive headphones and am sorry. I have blown up my share of stuff. Would not be very happy.

May 7, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #40 of 153
Pics or it didn't happen

PS: You can't expect to post that you modded the most expensive and esoteric headphone system out there and not receive requests for pictures.

I do understand the fact that you may not like to post pictures, nor do I like pictures, but, given the magnitude of your claims and the audio equipment involved, we demand pictures, if not, all your claims are BS, I can also post, with the same credibility, that I modded my Sennheisers to be plugged in the moon, so prove me wrong and post a pic of the modded setup.

May 7, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #41 of 153
Okay, you win BS. Look how many pics I have ever posted. A few when I was drunk once. I could picture the cable going into a cardboard box. Pics don't mean anything either. I value my privacy. In retrospect I should not have mentioned it. Oh well. Remember Patrick82? Enough said.

May 8, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #43 of 153
No, I modified the amp I used with the HE90.

Thanks for your reply. AFAIK, the headphones likely communicate with the amp through some active circuitry in order to work. May I know how did you deal with that?

Also, can you provide the pinout?

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #45 of 153
I feel like people are mocking me. Whatever. What you just said is the answer to Hugo's question. It is a array of diodes that are used to follow the impedance as a reference to provide the current. Sort of like PS audio's Gain Cells if you are familiar with those. It is not terribly difficult if you are familiar with it. I built the new output board and put it in the amp. Like I said being honest it has some quirks. sometimes I turn up volume and nothing happens then 10 minutes later they blast. I can fix that but I am concerned about what I am messing with like I said. The pinout, I don't think so No schematic. Actually figuring that out was more difficult than building the output board. So it senses the impedance of the headphones at a given volume to use as a reference to provide an input current to the mosfets in the phones. Maybe others call that circuit something different not sure. It is often found in test equipment and has been used in a couple of amplifiers in some form. I mean loudspeakers. Think of the amp as of more of a preamp of sorts. The voltage is not that high. Certainly not what you would expect of rectifiers. Like I said if you remember Patrick82 who always posted pics you can get me. Of course I do a lot better work than that. At least I would like to think so. The joke is I mainly listen to loudspeakers. With the given amp these are real nice though. I just can't stop buying things I probably have a problem lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back