Sennheiser Orpheus HE 90 vs. HE 1 - Impressions of a direct comparison
Sep 25, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #16 of 153
Um yes. :p

This is old story.

And the minority of people who never had problems from the original design consider it a powerhouse of epic proportions. And I'm one if them :)

Without the legend no DIY T2 for you.

Most of DIY T2 also use better version of Stax output connector as well as the almighty Apl RK50. I feel wrong seeing a $35 RK27 on a $10k amp.

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #17 of 153
Not to take anything away from it, but being in the "minority" of people that never actually had one blow up on them isn't exactly high praise for such a legendary amplifier. I'll go with the more reliable DIY T2 with the updated power supply, thanks all the same.:smile_phones:

...... ? Blow up ? ....

Never heard. Never will. Source? Links? are you sure you read that properly somewhere?

The only way the T2 can blow up is installing unauthorized tube bulbs. Trying to fix the issues inside the T2 without any electrical experiences can blow it up. 220V on a 100V circuit can blow it up.

Never heard a malfunction of the T2 blowing up in someone's apartment building or house.

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #18 of 153
Most of DIY T2 also use better version of Stax output connector as well as the almighty Apl RK50. I feel wrong seeing a $35 RK27 on a $10k amp.

Yes not denying the DIY T2 is amazing. It is! Hands down the best amp currently out! Better wiring, connectors, tubes, etch etch etch etch etch....

It is just that the 1994 T2 is a Legend and gave birth to most of the wonderful DIY amps out there!

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #19 of 153
...... ? Blow up ? ....

Never heard. Never will. Source? Links? are you sure you read that properly somewhere?

The only way the T2 can blow up is installing unauthorized tube bulbs. Trying to fix the issues inside the T2 without any electrical experiences can blow it up. 220V on a 100V circuit can blow it up.

Never heard a malfunction of the T2 blowing up in someone's apartment building or house.
I was exaggerating, but I'd feel uncomfortable having anything in my home that could possibly overheat to the point of breakdown, or something even worse. I also think that you are probably in the minority of people who feel the original T2 is better than it's more modern counterpart.

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #20 of 153
We do respect the original T2 but the DIY has better PSU and that is saying a lot. I feel previlage to own the DIY T2 actually.

Sep 26, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #21 of 153
May I see a close up picture of your DIY earpads for the HE90?

Sure, here you go (click to maximize)!

DSC_6846.JPG

FullSizeRender-2 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #22 of 153
Thanks for sharing the pictures. I need to get mine done. May I ask how much did it cost you to get the leather done? Can you organize a group by for the HE90 owners? :D

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #25 of 153
PM's replied!

Jan 5, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #26 of 153
...... ? Blow up ? ....

Hmm, there are shed loads of posts about this very subject. That and the fact the expensive and ultimately unreliable nature of the design ended up leading to (or contributing to) nearly bankrupting the company. As reported in those posts, the issue seems to be lack of heat dissipation and cramped chassis layout. That and the complexity of the circuit. But if you know different I am all ears. How much have you used your T2 / How long have you owned it? Has it ever been checked or serviced?

Having not owned the T2 I am re-quoting what is out there, not in anyway saying it is true / fact. It is good to hear from an actual owner in the forum obviously.

Jan 5, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #27 of 153
The DIY T2 has a much better power supply placed on a separate chassis, plus much better heat dissipation and several times better volume control (RK27 for the original T2, RK50 for the DIY T2), it should be not only more reliable but also better sounding than the original, there's no way around it. It's nice if you owned an original T2 but that statement feels like something to earn more money from the original T2 in the second hand market in case of selling it, it just doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #28 of 153
5189569.jpg

The DIY T2 has a much better power supply placed on a separate chassis, plus much better heat dissipation and several times better volume control (RK27 for the original T2, RK50 for the DIY T2), it should be not only more reliable but also better sounding than the original, there's no way around it. It's nice if you owned an original T2 but that statement feels like something to earn more money from the original T2 in the second hand market in case of selling it, it just doesn't make sense.

Indeed, though the original T2 also had an external PS. But the main amp housed in that big but still too small chassis and in a closed system, i.e. internal tubes and all those Fets with internal heatsinks. Way too much heat in that tight space IMO. Was it socially unacceptable to have tubes out the top? Stax don't do that on any of their amps. Possibly the home market was not to keen on that idea and they would buy it?

I wonder how many T2's Stax actually produced, and how many are still out there working? Or is it more a collectors item, the mystique of it?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back