Sennheiser Orpheus has blown my mind!
Jan 16, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #31 of 80
Quote:
Those listings are wiktor, he's famous for flipping these and trying to artificially inflate the price.  The last couple sets have gone for 16K here, with individual headphones at 8-9K.  Maybe 20K for a pristine set with the best version of the HEV90 would be worth 20-21.

Not exactly true.  But for practical purposes getting more than this would be a skillful sale or a great pair.  

Quote:
My understanding is this was during the main run of 300 that the changes were made (without notice, warning, or offers to change earlier units.)  It is one explanation given for the varying opinions on the HEV90/HE90 rig - that the gear is actually varied.  

There were some different versions.  Birgir does know more, but basically to me the sound mostly varies depending on the tubing, if it is biased properly (not very straightforward).  I've rolled tubes in the HEV myself and found the sound can change quite a bit - and also the HEV takes a good 30 minutes to warm up and sounds different at various stages of this process (in a more pronounced manner than most other tube amps in my experience).  Also these units are old, and from what I have heard, the capacitors need to be checked out as well.  I haven't heard any 'recapped' HEV's yet.  

Quote:

He HATES the Orpheus!! 

Ohhh, hate is such a strong word.  How about, highly doesn't prefer :wink:

Quote:
anything like that happening on the west coast by any chance? 

Yes, used to happen all the time... LA is your best bet these days.

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #32 of 80
Quote:

That's a brilliant way of stating it! To me, it's like bringing out and enhancing the taste of already incredible and fresh food with a pinch of salt. Sure, that $200, dry-aged, perfectly marbled, wagyu porterhouse is out of this world just seared on each side, but add a bit of salt and pepper on top and your taste buds will experience pure ecstasy. 

Oh I just realized you live in SF.  Whereabouts?  If this were literally just a few months ago you could have come by my recording studio and listened for yourself.  In time...

Neil

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #33 of 80
Sigh,

Wish there is an Orpheus here that I could demo...

Heard a Stax 009 + BHSE once and I was floored, the realness of the sounds coming out of it are just amazing. Would love to compare it with another super expensive high end headphones

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #34 of 80
Quote:

Oh I just realized you live in SF.  Whereabouts?  If this were literally just a few months ago you could have come by my recording studio and listened for yourself.  In time...

Neil

Hm, yet another sign that I need to stop being a hermit and get acquainted with the audio community around here...

That being said, purrin is holding a meet in Redwood city next month. I managed to sign up, but there appears to be a waiting list now...

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #35 of 80
You are so invited.  You will fit right in.  Burgers Brew & Booze is how we roll.  Gentleman Jack to be exact, which some people don't like but you know what, these are the same people who don't like the Orpheus.  They consider both too smooth.

We do proper glasses, no jars here, with one perfect ice cube made from Icelandic (in honor of Spritzer) bottled water.  Pour first, set the glass down, turn on the Orpheus.  When the indicator light tells you the tubes are warmed up, the drink will be perfect (not too cold).  Put the Norah Jones SACD in the Wadia, dim the room lights, sip and listen.  The meaning of life emerges.

Personally, I love Glenfiddich (whiskey-scotch, tomato-tomahto :D). I've had Gentleman Jack only once so far, but remember it being rather good. Nothing better than good whiskey, good music and good company.

Jan 16, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #36 of 80
Quote:

Neil

I work in the city so that were i spent most of my time but i live in the east bay. got best of both worlds! :wink: 

Crap, well next time you're back in town, I hope i can take you up on that offer. Thanks!

Jan 16, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #37 of 80
Quote:

Hm, yet another sign that I need to stop being a hermit and get acquainted with the audio community around here...

That being said, purrin is holding a meet in Redwood city next month. I managed to sign up, but there appears to be a waiting list now...

damn it, I completely missed that one. I just replied to the thread - hope I'll be able to squeeze in even though I'm not sure I'll even make the wait list at this point. 

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #38 of 80
Quote:
Personally, I love Glenfiddich (whiskey-scotch, tomato-tomahto
biggrin.gif
). I've had Gentleman Jack only once so far, but remember it being rather good. Nothing better than good whiskey, good music and good company.

which Glenfiddich? i'm a single malt enthusiast so i currently have 12, 15 & 18 at home alongside 6-7 other bottles of various single malts. Out of Glenfiddich, I definitely prefer 15 solera reserve the most. 12 is still quite bland while 18 is a bit too harsh for my taste (as strange as it may seem). 

Gentleman Jack is a nice whiskey but it's nowhere near fine single malts. There are some nice bourbons out there but I have yet to find one that would sweep me off my feet. If I drink Jack, I usually get the original and get it on the rocks. Though, I much prefer Breaking & Entering which is similar to Jack but somehow more complex and sophisticated (as low-end whiskeys go). 

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #39 of 80
I was also so lucky to be able to attend CES as well.  I was really excited to get a chance to hear the HD800s as I have not had the opportunity yet.  I went into the middle room and started with the HD700s and then finally the 800s.  I was actually about to leave when I turned around and my jaw dropped.  I was like OMG they have the Orpheus set up?!?!  I will say they surely did not disappoint.  I own HD 600s myself and I was floored by how much better the Orpheus sounded.

I just had to go back to the booth a couple more times to spend some more time with the Orpheus during the 4 day event.

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #40 of 80
which Glenfiddich? i'm a single malt enthusiast so i currently have 12, 15 & 18 at home alongside 6-7 other bottles of various single malts. Out of Glenfiddich, I definitely prefer 15 solera reserve the most. 12 is still quite bland while 18 is a bit too harsh for my taste (as strange as it may seem). 

Gentleman Jack is a nice whiskey but it's nowhere near fine single malts. There are some nice bourbons out there but I have yet to find one that would sweep me off my feet. If I drink Jack, I usually get the original and get it on the rocks. Though, I much prefer Breaking & Entering which is similar to Jack but somehow more complex and sophisticated (as low-end whiskeys go). 

I usually pick up the 12 - it's not too expensive for a good scotch and still better than a lot of similar priced offerings. I do appreciate a 15; never had the 18 before, though. If I can find it, Glenlivet 15 is pretty great too. If you're into American whiskeys, the Hudson Valley distillery has a really good single malt, as well as a rather nice bourbon.

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #41 of 80
Quote:

Get a bottle of George T. Stagg bourbon from the yearly release of the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection. It will change your mind about bourbons.

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #42 of 80
Quote:
I usually pick up the 12 - it's not too expensive for a good scotch and still better than a lot of similar priced offerings. I do appreciate a 15; never had the 18 before, though. If I can find it, Glenlivet 15 is pretty great too. If you're into American whiskeys, the Hudson Valley distillery has a really good single malt, as well as a rather nice bourbon.

Glenlivets are too ordinary for my taste. From Speyside, I much prefer something like Balvenie 12 Double Wood or Aberlour 16. Truly exceptional in that price range. 

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #44 of 80
Quote:
I just had to go back to the booth a couple more times to spend some more time with the Orpheus during the 4 day event.

yup, that was my story too. I revisited the booth about 4-5 times and every time hogged the Orpheus and HD 800s for a while. I own HD 700 right now so it was really great to do a side by side comparison with HD 800. As much as I like HD 700, HD 800 made it sound like a $50 pair of headphones you can get at a gas station. 

I was also interested in differences going from their all-digital setup back to the turntable going both going through their new amps. Given the awful listening conditions, I couldn't discern many differences in clarity but you could definitely hear differences in color. I wish I got at least an hour with them in a nice quite room. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back