Sennheiser MX-980 Review - Elegance and power in a small package.
Jun 6, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #16 of 35
good lord how is that even possible for the iphone to reach that type of volume to totally break them?  I mean, i had a scare with my mx580s with my guitar amp that is giga powerful, got feedback and hiss and didnt see them plugged in as soon as i turned it on and SCHREEEECCHHHHHHH...but they are fine and didnt break

thats scary, im sorry to hear about that, the 980s are awesome

RIP your 980s :[

*salutes

Jun 6, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #17 of 35
Yeah I was a bit disappointed and shocked that it actually managed to kill them.  They sounded great, sadly it seems the internals were not quite as strong as everything else.  

I may give them a second chance later on at a lower price point.  But right now having $200 earbuds killed by an iPhone just kinda put me off a little. :frowning2:  

Aahh but they sounded so good! 

Jun 7, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #18 of 35
Was it the iPhone killing them or the user who was not careful enough?

Quote:
Yeah I was a bit disappointed and shocked that it actually managed to kill them.  They sounded great, sadly it seems the internals were not quite as strong as everything else.  

I may give them a second chance later on at a lower price point.  But right now having $200 earbuds killed by an iPhone just kinda put me off a little. :frowning2:  

Jun 7, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #19 of 35

Quote:

I find it hard to believe it blew up. Im assuming you haven't burned them in for a good 1 month then you played it fresh from the box, straight from your iphone, with volume set to max? am i correct? then that might be the cause since the drivers arent used to the songs played at a very high volume and it also has something to deal with the frequencies coming through. i think any earphone will yield the same result if you do that. Mine should arrive very soon and i hope i dont experience what you experienced. Maybe you got a defective pair. Who knows

Jun 7, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #20 of 35

Quote:
I only have a pair of very old Sony earbuds that I would not want to compare to anything, haha.

Bass is ok, but there is not too much of it, not enough for basssheads. Soundstage is not great either. I am now planning to buy a Fiio E7 to see how it improves the MX 980s.

Maybe I am a bit too critical comparing these earbuds to my ESW9s? I do not know. I am keeping them for portability mainly.

Im assuming you still need to burn them in for a few more weeks? well since im a burn-in believer that is most likely the reason why the sound hasnt opened up yet. I dont think comparing them to your esw9's is fair since its just like apples to oranges but both prices are almost the same and i would not be surprised if the senns are better overall. Could be just the sound sig preference i guess. Mine should arrive soon and i hope they really dont dissapoint. I have been spending a lot for the past couple of months exceeding $1k on mid fi gear and if it does then im gonna stop buying for a while and take a break haha

Jun 7, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #21 of 35
Based on the way he said it happened, I don't think it was the mx980s that were the issue.  It is rare, but there could have been an error in the music file you were playing, one of that static pop glitches that produce massive and loud feedback.  Happens on bad quality mp3s most of the time, if that happens, the output can easily damage headphones.  But thats immensely rare and consider yourself lucky, not unlucky :) 

id have gone out and bought lottery tickets, thats just how rare something like that is. 

Jun 7, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #22 of 35
As I said I am definitely keeping them even for the portability factor itself. I travel and carrying my ESW9s is a bit more bothersome than carrying my MX980s :wink:.

Plus I wand to wait and see how they after some burning and then I am going to buy a portable amp to check how that improves things.

Quote:
Im assuming you still need to burn them in for a few more weeks? well since im a burn-in believer that is most likely the reason why the sound hasnt opened up yet. I dont think comparing them to your esw9's is fair since its just like apples to oranges but both prices are almost the same and i would not be surprised if the senns are better overall. Could be just the sound sig preference i guess. Mine should arrive soon and i hope they really dont dissapoint. I have been spending a lot for the past couple of months exceeding $1k on mid fi gear and if it does then im gonna stop buying for a while and take a break haha

Jul 8, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #23 of 35
just got them today!
they are pretty good out of the box
bass is controlled but doesnt extend super low
mids are smooth and forward
highs are just amazing for earbuds this small
soundstage is wide but lacks a bit of depth
now time for burn in!

Jul 8, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #24 of 35
Bass in general just lacks texture. Not sure if that's FR or some other reason. They're not bright but people might want a bass boost to give the mids more 'body.' Very good sound-staging. 

Jul 8, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #26 of 35
wow i noticed these do pack some low bass rumble and go very low
you just need to get the best fit
it will look crooked tilting upwards
when metal parts on the earbud will look straight
thats when you get the most bass

Jul 8, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #29 of 35
The knob is immensely light and feels hallowed out.  It feels really cheap and it easily slides, slides easier than the mx580 at least, which got the slider just right, but was way bigger than the mx980

you wont notice any of them, even on the 580 which has a big bulky slider compared to the 980...you wont notice any of them and if you can, you are a super hero :p

Mar 16, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #30 of 35
After listening to some classics on MX980 in a dealer's shop, I was disappointed.
The Beethovens and Messiahs and even ABBAs demonstrated just a little better than my MX365.
So I ended up with buying HD558 to get a more real music.
To my experience the MX980 is overhyped, its bass performance can't match a hi-end headphone.
BTW, inspired by this thread, I use earpad foams to enhance the bass of MX365, it really helps, the improved sound is comparable to full-size headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back