Sennheiser MX 980 Expression
Jun 8, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #76 of 283
Yep, different on mine too. I don't have the box here, but I recall the SN on the box being A000xxx, while the one the phones is A00xxx, where xxx are numbers, but different numbers on box and phones. When I registered on the sennheiser site, the required format was six numbers I think, so I put in the one from the box. Also, on the phones the format is "S/N A00xxx", that is including the "S/N". But keep in mind that there are two options when registering them: "MX 980 East" and "MX 980 West", so the formatting could be different for them.

Mini review: after using the PK3 and PK2 for a few years, I'm completely blown away by the MX980. The only problem I have is the size of the driver enclosures, which are slightly bigger and don't fit my ears as well as the PK series (The PK series was a dream come true for me regarding the fit, I could wear them for hours and hours without even feeling them). Also, the volume control seems useless. But the sound... let's say I can't listen to my PK2 anymore after using the MX980 for a week. If I can get used to the different size, then this really is the ultimate earbud.

Jun 8, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #77 of 283

Quote:

Don't worry, MX 880 are not too bassy.
I am not at all a basshead and I like the MX 880 a lot.
At least without the foams I consider the bass as quite neutral and very nice, not at all too bassy but also not too reduced. Just nice and natural :)

But the MX 880 need some time to burn in which for example improves the bass and makes the MX 880 much more sensitive (you will need less power to drive them after burn in).

hey can you compare mx880 to mx980? is the overall sound quality of 880 far far away from 980?

Jun 9, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #78 of 283

[size=medium]

Quote:
hey can you compare mx880 to mx980? is the overall sound quality of 880 far far away from 980?

[/size]

The 880 is not that far off in terms of quality,But the 580 and 880 are slightly colored and more forward.  The 980 is the neutral sounding of the MX series.  It is very wide in its presence.  Very unlike the 580 and 880.  Depends on what you enjoy. Do you enjoy a forward un-typical sennheiser sound?  ( if so then get the 580 or 880 )

or do you want a neutral sounding wide soundstage experience that is much more distant than its little brothers in the mx line?  ( the 980 )
Quote:
Thanks for your answer Cee Tee,

I got myself a pair of mx580 and mx760 now to compare them to my mx980. And I've to say that both earbuds impress me more than my mx980. Both buds together cost less than the half of the mx980.

The clarity of the mx580 is on the same level, if not much better than the clarity of my mx980.

The soundstage on the mx760 is confusing coming out of earbuds and much better than the soundstage of the mx980. Bass is excellent on this phones. 

In the end I think as I've posted already that I got a very bad pair of mx980. The serialnumber on the packaging doesn't even matched the serial number on the earbuds. I returned the mx980 to the seller and will enjoy my mx580 and mx760 depending on the type of music I hear.

Maybe I'll give the mx980 another try if one of the others break and hope I'll get a decent pair.

If that is true, you have the first known fake mx980. ( or damaged )  The clarity between the 580 and the 980 is significant.  

Jun 12, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #79 of 283
The first impression shows that this phones will punish low bitrates, listening Depeche Mode in 192 kbps it's not so pleasant at all.
As for confort they are awesome, for me much better than PK 1, did not have the time to listen properly do make a fair comparison,
but at first glance, the sound of the Yuin are a bit warmer.

Jun 14, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #80 of 283

Quote:

Overall sound quality of MX 880 is not so far away from MX 980.
I would say sound quality of MX 880 is more close to MX 980 than price of MX 880 is to price of MX 980.
But don't get me wrong please. MX 980 sounds clear better than MX 880 and you easy recognize this. But I think as long as you not direct compare both you will be happy with sound of MX 880.

MX 980 sounds somehow more open, rich, full.
MX 980 has the more "HI FI" sound.
But some people like in general a more fun sound which usually means less HI FI sound.

Jun 14, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #82 of 283
That is strange, if mx980 is so much better than pk1, ok1 in terms of resolution and imaging then at least it should be on the same level with top tier IEM like se530,TF10 since many regard at least ok1 as a top tier phone, but these reviews seems to place mx980 into a lower league.

Jun 14, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #83 of 283

Quote:

Overall sound quality of MX 880 is not so far away from MX 980.
I would say sound quality of MX 880 is more close to MX 980 than price of MX 880 is to price of MX 980.
But don't get me wrong please. MX 980 sounds clear better than MX 880 and you easy recognize this. But I think as long as you not direct compare both you will be happy with sound of MX 880.

MX 980 sounds somehow more open, rich, full.
MX 980 has the more "HI FI" sound.
But some people like in general a more fun sound which usually means less HI FI sound.

through the years of buying earbuds,headphones,iems
ive come to appreciate "HI FI" if crystal clear/neutral sound is what you mean
im getting excited now
my mx980's should be here in a few days
will write some impressions afterwards

regards
franz

Jun 30, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #84 of 283

Quote:

Unfortunately there is no way to get rid of the volume control on MX 980.

Someone will sonner or later find a way to recable these. But IMHO I cannot see the inline volume control doing any harm. It can simply be left alone at the max level. I might start a new thread: why is there so much hate of volume control.

Jun 30, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #85 of 283
I would honestly prefer to change the 3.5mm jack to something less annoying :)

Quote:
Someone will sonner or later find a way to recable these. But IMHO I cannot see the inline volume control doing any harm. It can simply be left alone at the max level. I might start a new thread: why is there so much hate of volume control.

Jul 1, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #86 of 283

Quote:
I would honestly prefer to change the 3.5mm jack to something less annoying :)

I like this jack and for me it is not at all annoying.
I think this jack is a very good idea but maybe there is still some room for improvements.
I can not tell that it is annoying.

Jul 1, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #87 of 283

Quote:

I am not a fan of inline volume controls but I agree to what you told.
At least on the MX 980 it does nothing bad in my opinion.
I would not recable to get rid of the volume control.
At least not if it is not an option from the original manufacturer of the earbud.

Jul 1, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #88 of 283
The jack isn't very useful. Even when it's rotated it sticks out more than a normal straight plug, which kind of defeats the purpose. As for the the volume control, it is possible quality is slightly degraded, at least no one has removed it and tested it as far as I know. 

SQ (Nuforce Icon -> OMX980): I think there is a bit of a upper midrange bump (very noticeable with sax and trumpet), at least compared with my mostly warm headphone collection (ESW10JPN, SE530, D5000 etc...). Bass is punchy but seems to lack a bit of texture. Soundstage is very decent for drivers that small, probably wider than SE530, directionality and separation are not excellent but decent. I don't think it's quite as good as triple.fi or SE530 but it's not really in a different class either, it could just be a preference thing. Don't get me wrong, it's a very capable performer.

(edit - playing around the EQ) if you love vocals, I think a little bass boost helps. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back