Sennheiser Momentum vs Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) P7
Dec 23, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #46 of 141
I think I made it quite clear that the P7 is superior
wink.gif

$100 better sonically? Depends. But you also get better build quality, so to me the difference in $$$ seems legit.

Totally.

Dec 23, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #47 of 141
What store did you price match. I just bought my P7s so I can still get money back if you don't mind providing me your source. Please and thank you.

XRiddler- It was kid of a weird deal....

I called the 800 number to but the Senn Momentums over ear. They had them listed at 349, but every place on the planet has them at 299. So when I called, the guy on the phone and I went through 4-5 stores to see which one Apple would price match. The deal ws, the store had to be an authorized Apple Retaile for tthem to price match. An the match wsa only for 10% max. So we went through a list until one matched. I wish I could remember which store. I will say the Apple rep ws very helpful.

So when I decided I didn't want the Senn's , I brought it to an actual Apple Retail Store in Dallas to return the Senn's. The noticed my 10% discount and I asked them if they could extend that for my P7's. It was a little tricky in store, but the were very nice and did extend the same discount.

I wasn't expecting a discount on it, but it was nice.

Dec 23, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #50 of 141
Sorry about that! It may be worth watching the price and calling apple to see if they will refund the match. How are you liking the P7's?

After 8 days of burning them in about 150 hours give or take as i usually leave them playing when i sleep too, the initial boomieness has subsided. My ears have either assimilated to them very well or the break in is really working. At first I couldn't listen to Labrinth's, Beneath Your Beautiful as the bass would drive me literally insane but its subsided now and it sounds just right to me. I think they really shine when I listen to City and Colour and i can just sit down and listen till I fall asleep. 

Dec 23, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #52 of 141
Good Lord, a lot of baloney gets thrown around in here. What the heck would burn-in even look like in the P7? They're not even built like most headphones! If you have no idea on what's going on internally with the hardware, physically, why not settle for that thing that forgets to turn off the oven, damages its own hearing despite the warnings, etc—your unpredictable and fluxing brain/body gets used to the sound!

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #53 of 141
Please enlighten us Chimichanga as I am new to this side of the world of audio. Don't just throw me under the bus and throw me some of that knowledge so I can learn and not be ignorant. I dont like to throw baloney around and like i said I am new please give me a break and put me out of my misery and teach me. 

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #54 of 141

Please enlighten us Chimichanga as I am new to this side of the world of audio. Don't just throw me under the bus and throw me some of that knowledge so I can learn and not be ignorant. I dont like to throw baloney around and like i said I am new please give me a break and put me out of my misery and teach me. 

Don't worry, it's chill :)

The phenomena of burn-in has a lot of controversy among the audiophile community. If it sounds better to you, then that's great! Whether burn-in or your brain adjusting to the sound, doesn't really matter imo. just be careful if you are leaving your headphones on for significant periods of time to make sure that they are on normal listening volumes or else you can damage the drivers.

I personally do not believe in burn-in from my own experiences, but everyone has different perspectives.

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #56 of 141
Just got my P7. My Momentum arrived back in Oct 2012.
You get a strong smell of leather unboxing this baby.  Not sure if it is really leather. While the unit appears solid throughout, the area near the left removeable cup seems a bit coarse.  Looked like seasoned leather, scratched.  Not sure how long this baby will last.  No matter.  The extensions of the metal headband is not much and just barely fit on my size 7.75 head.  It is very tight.  Much tighter than the initial experience I had with the Momentum and nearly as tight as the Audeze LCD-2.

I tried squeezing and stretching out the headband and it lossened considerably.

The sound.

Well, it's not the LCD-3 or the TH-900.  It is though musical right at the start.  Sings with vocals and handled Toccata & fugue in D minor damn well.  Hotel California sounded new again.  Is is very different from my Momentum.  Really can say which is better.  The P7 is simply new and exciting at this time.

I placed the P7 on a stand and is now running loops.  Probably until year end.

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #57 of 141
Both the P5 and P7 use genuine lamb skin leather.

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #58 of 141
Dec 29, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #59 of 141
that confirms the smell.  thxs!

It definitely is made with leather. http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Headphones/Headphones/P7/explore.html

"We’ve cut no corners in terms of build quality and our choice of materials. Moving parts and back plates are constructed from brushed and stainless steel, as is the ingenious folding mechanism. The logo plates are crafted from brushed aluminium. The headband and ear pads are encased in luxuriously soft leather, making them a delight to wear even for long listening sessions."

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #60 of 141
How's the comfort level between these two headphones? I've tried the P7s at the Apple store a few times but they never have any Momentums out to try. I found the P7's ear cups a little stiff compared to my Philips L1s. Do they soften over time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back