Sennheiser Momentum vs Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) P7
Nov 12, 2013 at 10:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 141

nimano45

New Head-Fier
I have the V-Moda M-100's, but I want another headphone with a different sound, but not overwhelmingly different. The two I have picked out are the Sennheiser Momentum's and the B&W P7. I have a little over-average sized ears (6-7 cm, 2,4-2,8 inches long) and I wonder if there is a big difference in ear-cup size and which one would be the most comfortable for me. If my impression from reading various reviews in right, the two have a similar sound. Any opinions? All good answers will be appreciated. I mainly listen to rap and EDM (Electronic Dance Music), but I also like rock, some alternative and some of the Top 40 music nowadays.

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #3 of 141
Wouldn't say they have a very similar sound. The P7 is less veiled than the Momentum and the P7 is a more refined sounding headphone throughout. More comfortable too, the Momentums are slightly small for me and my ears are about 6,5 cm top to bottom. I've not used the P7 for extended listening, but when I tried for about 20 minutes I definitely found them more comfortable around my ears. 

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #4 of 141
Get the P7.  It has a much bigger cup than the Momentum and sounds decently similar to it.  I have all 3 headphones so I know.

Nov 26, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #6 of 141
I too have all three headphones. In isolation you could probably be happy with each. I have not listened extensively to the VModa but found it to have an emphasis towards the bass and a rather softened presence.
After quite a lengthy break in I think the P7 has the best range and dynamics. At first I found it rather forward on bright material but this has quietened down and given great detail and depth. The Momentum is close to the VModa in having some bass boost but overall it is a very smooth phone which never offends but gives good detail.
The Momentum is for me comfortable but might be a problem for larger ears. It's portability is severely compromised by its disproportionately large case and rigid ear cups.
The P7 and the VMida both fold well into convenient cases.
The P7 has the most comfortable largest ear cups and a very luxurious finish in black leather and stainless steel.
Taking all into account if I could only have one it would be the P7.My hunch is it will get even better with age.

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #7 of 141
I'm liking mine so much I've ordered an Incase DSLR Sling Bag camera case so I can carry my iPad and P7 to and the coffee shop or mall. I love my Tom Bihn Ristretto bag, but the P7 in case just won't fit. I'm hoping the Incase is the answer for me as I don't want to leave the P7 at home. Funny how good equipment drives us to more equipment :wink:

Dec 14, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #8 of 141
Any updates regarding these two particular headphones. I am at a crossroad for these and I have no idea which way to turn. At the moment the momentums are $100 cheaper so I am leaning towards that. I listen to lots Of k-hiphop, rnb and ballads. Any advice would be helpful.

Dec 21, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #9 of 141
Any updates regarding these two particular headphones. I am at a crossroad for these and I have no idea which way to turn. At the moment the momentums are $100 cheaper so I am leaning towards that. I listen to lots Of k-hiphop, rnb and ballads. Any advice would be helpful.

I finally had a chance to compare these side by side at the Apple store. I went with the P7's. The Momentums have a nice soundstage, but was muted in comparison. It is splitting hairs, but the P7's ust did it for me.

Dec 21, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #10 of 141
I finally had a chance to compare these side by side at the Apple store. I went with the P7's. The Momentums have a nice soundstage, but was muted in comparison. It is splitting hairs, but the P7's ust did it for me.

confused.gif

Dec 21, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #11 of 141

The momentums sounded good.. no doubt.  I didn't find anything lacking.  I can't put my finger on it, but the P7's seemed to do better with rock, jazz, rnb, and pop that I sampled at the Apple store.

I probably should have elaborated on the soundstage... :wink:

Listening to the Jazz, it seemed like the "spacing" of the instruments were fine.  I have seen some reviews that knocked the soundstage of the momentums, but they were, well, fine.

The P7's seemed to have better spatial distance and location and to me was overall a better set of headphones. 

Dec 21, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #12 of 141
lol... I personally found the P7 severely underwhelming considering its additional $100 price tag and I strongly preferred the Sennheiser Momentum Over-ears. Price has NO correlation to sound quality for closed portables once you get over the $200 mark.

ymmv

btw: there are some other cool new mid-fi closed portables worth looking at: kef m500 ($300), nad visio hp50 ($300), and the akg k545 ($200 on sale!)

Dec 21, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #13 of 141

The momentums sounded good.. no doubt.  I didn't find anything lacking.  I can't put my finger on it, but the P7's seemed to do better with rock, jazz, rnb, and pop that I sampled at the Apple store.

I probably should have elaborated on the soundstage... :wink:

Listening to the Jazz, it seemed like the "spacing" of the instruments were fine.  I have seen some reviews that knocked the soundstage of the momentums, but they were, well, fine.

The P7's seemed to have better spatial distance and location and to me was overall a better set of headphones. 

Is the P7 known for its soundstage?

Dec 21, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #14 of 141
  lol... I personally found the P7 severely underwhelming considering its additional $100 price tag and I strongly preferred the Sennheiser Momentum Over-ears. Price has NO correlation to sound quality for closed portables once you get over the $200 mark.

ymmv

btw: there are some other cool new mid-fi closed portables worth looking at: kef m500 ($300), nad visio hp50 ($300), and the akg k545 ($200 on sale!)

This is the main reason why I haven't bought it.

Dec 21, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #15 of 141
Is the P7 known for its soundstage?

Its been out for just a few months... not sure what it is "known" for. The dilemma I had was similar to this in that I had an Apple credit to use and they had the P7's, Momentums, and BO H6's.

It all comes down to personl taste, but based on the poster's options, I would say the P7's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back