Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless 3 Impressions Thread
Nov 25, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #361 of 560
Thank you. I found the MTW2 sound signature slightly off until I got the Comply tips. No matter the EQ.

So will you say that MTW3 with Wind Mode turned on handles wind noise clearly better than APP2? Apple really need to consider an anti-wind option - APP1 handled wind better than APP2 I feel.

Nov 25, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #362 of 560
Thank you. I found the MTW2 sound signature slightly off until I got the Comply tips. No matter the EQ.

So will you say that MTW3 with Wind Mode turned on handles wind noise clearly better than APP2? Apple really need to consider an anti-wind option - APP1 handled wind better than APP2 I feel.
I've never used either with Comply tips. They've always given me too much bass on pretty much every TWS I've tried them on to this date.

Anyway, I've not used the APP1 for a very long time and when I did there were no windy conditions unfortunately. So, I don't have a direct comparison there but I've honestly thought so far that my APP2 are handling wind quite well so I'm suprised to read many people have a different experience.

The MTW3 handle wind very well when the option is activated but the ANC is not nearly as strong anymore then. So, there's another tradeoff there.

Nov 25, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #364 of 560
Thanks again. How do you find the SQ comparison between APP2 and MTW3?

I was pleasantly surprised by the improvement made by Apple over their previous gen.
I really (!) like the APP2. Not just have they improved a lot but for me they are the go to TWS for Apple users, period. They just can do most things incredibly well and they sound great.

The MTW3 are bassier which some might prefer but for me need a little boost in the highs (I use +2) as the highs are slightly subdued in comparison to the lows and the mids. With a little lift in the highs I like them very much, mind you.

Imo, the APP2 sound better when no EQ is applied to both sets but once there is, it’s personal preference more than anything. Both great.

Nov 30, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #366 of 560
After 1 month using the TWS3 I'm really thinking about passing it forward due a few points:

- Considering sound quality... well, it's a Sennheiser. Really amazing soundstage for a TWS and in this case it’s into my expectations.

Cons

- Unable to configure functions for calls. That's primordial for me. Using on MS Teams I cannot mute calls using touch functions and worse than that, if I try to settle the tws into my ears it Ends the Call and we cannot change this function. That's annoying. Next time i do this with my boss I’m out (crying....)

- Unable to use transparency when in calls (not sure phone calls, never use it) but on computer calls. It automatically uses the NC, and I cannot use transparency or neutral mode and we don’t have a 'hear through' function like the TWS2 has. due to this if I use both sides people around me think I'm crazy cause keep talking loud during calls.

- Connectivity is not the best idk why. I've faced a few disconnects when using computer (And due to this it End Calls) or when playing music getting a few "sparks" in sound (but never disconnected). Seems to have a quite low range for the mobile phone.... but well... even when using in front of my computer I've already experienced something....

As far as my Jabra elite 85t has not the sound quality as this one I've never faced any problem as I reported. Really sad about that.

Dec 7, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #367 of 560
Use case: With Fiio M3 in Aptx mode, mostly FLAC files, using Comply foam tips made for these. Mostly using for gym and running.

Impressions after 3 weeks:
Returned for replacement (giving me the time to reflect and write this review) - Yesterday the sound in my R. earbud disappeared. The touch control feature on it still works. I was first getting a crackly sound, cutting in and out, and then finally dead. Sending back and getting new ones on Friday. I love the sound so I will try again.

>>> Am I pushing too hard when I insert the earbuds and that damaged the R. one? I like a deep insertion and I do push on them pretty hard as I'm putting them in (sometimes mixed with foam rolling if I have the time). Otherwise was very careful with them. I'll try to be more gentle with the next ones and see if this happens again.

SQ - Amazingly good. (I'm coming from other TWSs and also SE530 and a couple of mid-high end headphones). Clarity and overall tuning/balance are super impressive for a TWS. For me, these require no EQ'ing. Definition/quantity/quality in the bass is excellent, mids and treble well balanced, etc...Very smooth sound, never harsh. The treble is outstanding, the right amount so these aren't dark, but not painful after long listening. I'd like to say "neutral" overall, but I don't think that's true. I think there's some un-neutral fun-but-controlled-and-tight tuning here that just appeals to me really well. The sound is tasty.

Fit - Decent. Insertion is deeper than some others, allowing for good passive noise isolation, especially w/ the foam tips. Fit is fine for me in the gym (lifting). Running usually works OK, although I do get some bounce. I'd say for an SQ focused earbud not really intended for exercise, these do very well (I don't want to buy poorer SQ earbuds intended for exercise, I want the best SQ I can get and figure out the fit from there).

ANC - Wow, this works really great in the gym. Cuts down the overall background noise level tremendously. Some voices and gym music pop through a little bit, but easy enough to ignore. With NC off, whoa, my gym is really noisy!
When background noise is quiet, I can hear the NC sound itself in my left earbud for some reason. And the anti-wind feature doesn't do much on a bike. And these earbuds in general get a lot of wind noise even when walking for me.

Controls - I hate the volume going up and down when inserting. I've mostly switched to turning the touch controls completely off and using my M3 to control instead. Otherwise the controls work as intended and I like being able to customize them when I do use them.

Multi-point - Wow, that was a nice add. Allowing my M3 and iPhone to stay connected at the same time has done many positive things.
Vs.

XM4 (using LDAC that my M3 can do) - The Sony's are a little bigger and don't insert as deeply. Less good for exercise for sure, bounce too much, center of gravity well outside the ear. The Sony stock tips were nice for me though and sealed well enough. SQ - Overall sound is in a similar top end TWS category. NC excellent. I almost kept these if not for the fit. And stock Sony tuning was more bassy and less instrument separation, clarity, etc...The Sony's do EQ well though, so increasing the brightness was possible. Even then, I still give the win to the MTW3. Once I got the MTW3, I was very glad I had returned the Sony's. The difference to me was not huge, but substantial for sure.

Melomania 1 (original version, using Aptx) - I LOVE the fit of these. I put on large Comply foamies and shove these deep in to my ears and they don't budge. Ever. Amazing fit for exercise. Wore these for years when my SE530 cable wasn't manageable (like in the gym). Then just recently I tried the Sony's and then the MTW3s and it was game over...The M1s are darker, muddier, boomier, less instrument separation. Bummer. Not even close. Different class (and pricing to match).

Samsung Buds 2 Pro - I had these for a short time as a gift and then re-gifted 'cause I don't have a Samsung phone and so couldn't customize. I liked how small and light they were. I didn't like the shallow insertion and i.e. weaker passive noise isolation. SQ was bright and lacked overall oomph - but that was with the stock silicone tips, I didn't have foamies for these.

Dec 8, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #368 of 560
Is there a granular volume control in the app? Or do you always depend on Android?

I had the MTW2, but had to return it due to connectivity issues, it often didn't pair and crashes were frequent. Does the 3 have a better bluetooth connection?

Dec 8, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #370 of 560
I do not know the mtw2, but the mtw3 do not have any connection problems with my google pixel 6a here.
@sebek same here. No connection with my MTW3. My MTW didnt have connection issues either. I skipped the MTW2 in favor of waiting for the third gen. Very happy with the MTW3. I use it with a Samsung Galaxy S22+ and LG V60.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #371 of 560
The problem is this should of been out day one.

There’s been no update for other problems since launch

1. when u put the headset back into the case they still stay connected to the phone. Many times I have come back with flat headsets. v2 never had this problem

2. Very very slow connection to the app

3. No ANC adjustments

4. There way to sensitive at picking up breezes when anc is turned on

5 no way of activation wind anc with the buds you have to go to the app all the time to do this.

6. No High-End Sound Tuning option v2 have this

7 no transparency mode when on a call. v2 have this

8. Not enough Volume adjustments as it’s about 7 from 0 to full needs more adjustments as the jump are way to much and you have to revert to the phone to adjust these small changes

These needed to be addressed but in the 4 months they have been out not one update to fix any of the problems above.

They do sound excellent and prob the best sounding wireless buds I have had but there also more to it and that. Plus the build issues I have had. But that’s another matter

Specifically registered to up-vote this post. these are all true pain points of the mtw3. what is really annoying is that they are software issue that can be solved by proper app update. It feels Sennheiser really invested in the hardware and left the software far far behind. And they are all pretty small efforts in respect of development. Like - why we can't customize the amounts of touches it takes to disconnect a call? it's so simple. The amount of times I accidentally disconnected a phone call because of the ridiculous one touch to hang the phone is outrages.

Dec 30, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #372 of 560
Yesterday when listening to music from my phone very quietly, suddenly the mtw3 female system voice hammered out a "No Connection". Quite shocking.

It would be really great if you could configure the volume for this system messages, because IMO they are too loud.

And also: Why do the mtw3 report "No Connection" while the music still keeps playing, so they seem to be connected all the time? Probably it has to do with the second device that was not nearby? But this should not happen that you get reports for the second device while playing music via one device. Also no other device was nearby all the time, but the "No Connection" was reported after listening to music for some minutes already. Did anybody else sees this behavior?

Jan 12, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #373 of 560
I haven't used these in a week or so and put them in today to find that I am getting unbalanced sound. The left side is much quieter than the right. I've cleaned out the left bud, rechecked it's seating in the ear etc but I continue to hear the majority of audio from the right. Sound is definitely coming out of the left, but I'm hearing perhaps 65% from the right.
Anyone else find this?
I put some other headphones on with the same tracks to double check not my hearing and they sound correct. Have to do a reset?

Jan 12, 2023 at 1:27 AM Post #374 of 560
I haven't used these in a week or so and put them in today to find that I am getting unbalanced sound. The left side is much quieter than the right. I've cleaned out the left bud, rechecked it's seating in the ear etc but I continue to hear the majority of audio from the right. Sound is definitely coming out of the left, but I'm hearing perhaps 65% from the right.
Anyone else find this?
I put some other headphones on with the same tracks to double check not my hearing and they sound correct. Have to do a reset?
If a reset doesn’t help (and you‘re using stock tips) try cleaning that mesh part that’s on the inside of the silicone tip. It can be gently removed and put in again afterwards. I’ve read that this might help as well in the past when people on reddit had a similar issue.

For that reason I wanted to buy some spare stock tips from Sennheiser directly, but for some reason they literally never seem to have them in stock.

Jan 12, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #375 of 560
Thank-you for this! I will give that a try also. Fingers crossed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back