Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless 2 (MTW2)
Jun 19, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #211 of 228
Personally, I found the MTW1 even better with regard to sound than the MTW2 but only a little bit so. I had both models and sold my MTW1 when I bought the MTW2 and remember that I was a bit disappointed even as I loved the sound of the first generation and found the 2s not as exciting, punchy and detailed as their predecessors. The sound of the MTW1 was a marvellous combination of all that.

Things have gotten better with firmware updates over time and the "High End tuning" feature did refine the sound as well. But no matter the (EQ) setting, I would still give the edge in pure sound quality to the MTW1 up to this day. Most other things are better on the 2s (battery life, ANC, size/fit, case hinge) with one exception: The MTW2 had very slight white noise but that was only audible in very quiet environments and when no music was playing.

I've sold both in the meantime. The MTW1 mainly because of their infamous battery drainage problem and because the left bud failed me twice within 9 months and the MTW2 after they they had that very same problem after 6 months or so. I was not impressed by their durability at all but maybe I was just very unlucky.

Edit: Oh and one more thing that always "bugged" me a bit was the relatively low volume levels on the MTW2. When turned up to 80/90 percent volume they are loud enough with most new recordings but sometimes head room was missing for me on old recordings or classical music.

I have now bought the Sony WF-1000XM4 and while they don't sound as good as the Momentums, they are much louder and have a lot of advantages (better EQ, ANC, battery, both buds can be used independently etc.)
I cancelled my MTW2 order and just use my MTW1 as they are really new. I returned my first pair cause the case broke and they sent me a brand new one a few months ago.

I'll keep my XM4 for now and maybe the PI7 will be in stock again, soon.

Jul 22, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #212 of 228
Just got my MTW2s today off the Euro 2021 goals promotion from a few weeks ago. Took a long time to get to the UK from Germany. Things used to be so much easier before Brexit, but that's another topic. I've charged them up and paired them with the phone app. Replaced the stock tips with Spinfit CP360 tips.

The sound quality is tremendous! Compared to my Jabra Elite 85t wireless IEMs, it's slightly clearer and more musical. Having said that, whilst out walking with lots of ambient noise, I don't think I'd be able to tell much of a difference. Nevertheless, there is a clear sonic improvement for 'static' listening.

However, what's the deal with the very low volume level??? My Jabra Elite 85t can reach volume levels that hurt my ears. With the MTW2s, my 'normal' listening level is nearly at 75% of volume. There's some headroom available but does anyone know why the volume is quite low?

Jul 22, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #213 of 228
Just got my MTW2s today off the Euro 2021 goals promotion from a few weeks ago. Took a long time to get to the UK from Germany. Things used to be so much easier before Brexit, but that's another topic. I've charged them up and paired them with the phone app. Replaced the stock tips with Spinfit CP360 tips.

The sound quality is tremendous! Compared to my Jabra Elite 85t wireless IEMs, it's slightly clearer and more musical. Having said that, whilst out walking with lots of ambient noise, I don't think I'd be able to tell much of a difference. Nevertheless, there is a clear sonic improvement for 'static' listening.

However, what's the deal with the very low volume level??? My Jabra Elite 85t can reach volume levels that hurt my ears. With the MTW2s, my 'normal' listening level is nearly at 75% of volume. There's some headroom available but does anyone know why the volume is quite low?
It just is. I had mine also at 80% most of the time to really enjoy them. Very "quiet" buds in comparison to some others.

Jul 24, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #214 of 228
It's funny how the user manual for the MTW2 is plastered with warnings about hearing loss! Despite the fairly low output levels, the sound quality is very good for a wireless IEM. It's a small improvement over my Jabra Elite 85t when listening at home in a quiet environment.

Jul 25, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #215 of 228
It's funny how the user manual for the MTW2 is plastered with warnings about hearing loss! Despite the fairly low output levels, the sound quality is very good for a wireless IEM. It's a small improvement over my Jabra Elite 85t when listening at home in a quiet environment.
I got the new Sennheiser CX to test and play with yesterday and it's exactly the same thing again :) They are very quiet. 70% volume is the absolute minimum for me. Seems to be a Sennheiser thing these days, sadly.

I take hearing loss seriously btw but if true wireless buds are way too quiet at 50% volume, I don't like that. I often need headroom in various situations (old recordings, YouTube videos, classical music etc.).

Jul 27, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #216 of 228
Hi.
just got this earbud, and I'm trying to pairing with my Samsung s20 phone. it keeps failing. I'm coming from sony XM4, it pairs automatically with no issue.
it's already a hassle. Not a good start.
any suggestions with pair tw2?

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #217 of 228
Hi.
just got this earbud, and I'm trying to pairing with my Samsung s20 phone. it keeps failing. I'm coming from sony XM4, it pairs automatically with no issue.
it's already a hassle.
any suggestions with pair tw2?
Not sure what your problem could be. The MTW2 only supports the tried and tested older Bluetooth protocols so pairing shouldn't be an issue.

I found these two pages that might help:

https://thedroidguy.com/pair-galaxy-s20-with-bluetooth-devices-1122586

https://thedroidguy.com/fix-galaxy-s20-bluetooth-issues-1124423

Some of the tips mentioned on those pages may delete your Bluetooth config on your phone so use with caution.

Jul 27, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #218 of 228
I got it to work. Thank you
Not sure what your problem could be. The MTW2 only supports the tried and tested older Bluetooth protocols so pairing shouldn't be an issue.

I found these two pages that might help:

https://thedroidguy.com/pair-galaxy-s20-with-bluetooth-devices-1122586

https://thedroidguy.com/fix-galaxy-s20-bluetooth-issues-1124423

Some of the tips mentioned on those pages may delete your Bluetooth config on your phone so use with caution.
Thank you for the information.

Aug 6, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #219 of 228
I'd like to use the MTW2 for work where I have lots of long meetings where everyone stays muted for 90% of the time. Would it be possible to mute the MTW2's mic using touch controls? If not, could @Sennheiser consider adding this feature? I think it's a relatively easy software task..

Aug 26, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #220 of 228
Hi all,
around half a year ago I was writing posts here that phone call with the MTW2 was not good at all.
A week ago a new update arrived with description that it is going to improve the sound quality during the calls. And indeed, they works much better after the update!

Nov 17, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #225 of 228
I am thinking of buying the Sennheiser MTW2.

They would be my first TWS iems, I have some questions:

- Is the normal 5V 2A smartphone charger suitable for charging?

- Is it compatible with UAPP, Qobuz and Tidal?

- I've read complaints about the volume, what do you think? I also listen to older music recorded at lower volumes, not just modern music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back