Sennheiser Momentum too small, what now... UE6000/9000?
Mar 28, 2013 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

FlangeMonkey

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

I own a pair of Momentum's, which I love the sound quality.  The only thing I don't like about them is the Can sizes.  There just small enough to cut my earlobes and make it uncomfortable after a while of wearing them.

I'm considering returning them because of it, but want something with a similar sound and longevity of comfort.  I've been reading about the UE9000 because of the sound quality, in passive.  The extra features are just "icing on the cake", which I'm sure will get used from time to time.

Can someone with experience of both sets, please give me some feedback regarding the UE6000/9000 in comparison to sound quality with the momentums and general comfort?

Thanks in advance,

Mar 28, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 15
For a similar sound quality experience I would look more in the direction of Sony MDR-1R.
IMO It just sounds more similar to the Momentum than the UE's. 

Mar 28, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:
For a similar sound quality experience I would look more in the direction of Sony MDR-1R.
IMO It just sounds more similar to the Momentum than the UE's. 

Interesting.  I was looking at the MDR-1R's but after some research people suggested they sound quite different, although I was looking at the NC models, were NC tends to hurt the sound IMO.

Mar 28, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:
Hi Guys,

I own a pair of Momentum's, which I love the sound quality.  The only thing I don't like about them is the Can sizes.  There just small enough to cut my earlobes and make it uncomfortable after a while of wearing them.

I'm considering returning them because of it, but want something with a similar sound and longevity of comfort.  I've been reading about the UE9000 because of the sound quality, in passive.  The extra features are just "icing on the cake", which I'm sure will get used from time to time.

Can someone with experience of both sets, please give me some feedback regarding the UE6000/9000 in comparison to sound quality with the momentums and general comfort?

Thanks in advance,

Before giving up on the Momentums try stretching out the headband to reduce clamp pressure.

Mar 28, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:
Interesting.  I was looking at the MDR-1R's but after some research people suggested they sound quite different, although I was looking at the NC models, were NC tends to hurt the sound IMO.

Fair enough - I was just thinking about the non NC version. I havn't listened to the UE9000, but I've heard good things about them. 

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance,

The UE9000s have a very similar sound (and they measure fairly close too). The earcups are a bit bigger. I use the Momentums as part way around to on-ear headphones and I find them quite comfortable. But that said, every head is different. 

The UE9000s in passive are very good indeed and very comparable to the Momentums. They are however, heavier due to the NC and wireless circuitry. 

Mar 29, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #8 of 15
Thanks for peoples responses.

I managed to try on a pair of MDR-1R's (not BT or NC) today and I'm not sure what it is but the mid's are missing something, there smooth, clean, sharp and warm, but again missing something.  They sound good, but just didn't blow me away like the Momentum.  Unfortunately I wasn't using my own source as I found a pair randomly, so the difference might be the non-lossless that I normally use.  I'll take my own source soon...

Comfort wise, wow, so much better and the build quality is also really nice.

If only I can find the UE's somewhere local.

Thanks,

Mar 29, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #9 of 15

I managed to try on a pair of MDR-1R's (not BT or NC) today and I'm not sure what it is but the mid's are missing something, there smooth, clean, sharp and warm, but again missing something.  They sound good, but just didn't blow me away like the Momentum.  Unfortunately I wasn't using my own source as I found a pair randomly, so the difference might be the non-lossless that I normally use.  I'll take my own source soon...

Thanks,

Their mids are recessed a bit and I agree on the sharpness too. If there's an Apple Store by you, a great place to hear the ue9000/ue6000s.

Mar 29, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Thanks,

That would make a noticable difference. The source you tried them on might also have been EQd.
I didn't think the UE6000 cups were much bigger than the momentums? The 1Rs definitely are.

Apr 3, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #11 of 15
Best Buy will most definitely have the UEs for you to try out. If you find one that has a Magnolia Home Theater there will be some other headphones you might be interested in.

Thanks,

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #12 of 15
I'm in the UK... BestBuy got out lickity split... 

I tried on the Sony's again with a good source and not much changed.  I've also returned my Momentum's today, it kills me but after persisting with them, I didn't feel I could get around the comfort.

Anyone got anymore recommendations?

Apr 4, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #13 of 15
My first thought would also be the MDR-1Rs. If you weren't using your own source, then the something "missing" could just be a lower bitrate. I did a side-by-side comparison of the MDR-1R and Momentum and I did not get the something missing feeling. I would recommend trying them again with your own source as they are definitely one of the most comfortable portable closed headphones around, but if you just aren't interested...

Perhaps AKG K550 if you aren't trying to be portable. Giant cushy earcups. also available at Best Buy Magnolia Centers. I personally liked them better than the Momentum.

Or maybe the Sennheiser Amperior if you are trying to stay with the same brand, but I haven't tried those, so I am not sure how they compare to the Momentum.

Apr 4, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:
My first thought would also be the MDR-1Rs. If you weren't using your own source, then the something "missing" could just be a lower bitrate. I did a side-by-side comparison of the MDR-1R and Momentum and I did not get the something missing feeling. I would recommend trying them again with your own source as they are definitely one of the most comfortable portable closed headphones around, but if you just aren't interested...

Perhaps AKG K550 if you aren't trying to be portable. Giant cushy earcups. also available at Best Buy Magnolia Centers. I personally liked them better than the Momentum.

Or maybe the Sennheiser Amperior if you are trying to stay with the same brand, but I haven't tried those, so I am not sure how they compare to the Momentum.

Yep, I used my own source, lossless...  I did think they where comfortable and I did like them, but I won't mention the sound thing again.

I'll checkout the AKG K550, I think I have found some locally.

Apr 4, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:
Yep, I used my own source, lossless...  I did think they where comfortable and I did like them, but I won't mention the sound thing again.

I'll checkout the AKG K550, I think I have found some locally.

Actually, now that I think about it, I think I might have found the Momentums to sound more airy and clear compared to the MDR-1R and the MDR-1R seemed slightly more congested in comparison. However, it's been a while since I did the direct comparison, so my memory is fuzzy.

It is really weird when you listen to a pair of headphones & feel like you are missing something. I think it's usually just due to your ears being used to your previous sound signature, so it takes some time to adjust. However, there can definitely be something to that feeling. Often times, it is really fun to do a really serious comparison using a ton of different tracks to try to identify what it is that you are missing so it helps you in future headphone hunts.

Good luck with your search & I hope you find what you are looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back