Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
May 2, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #1,876 of 3,594
My first pair was wholly unremarkable, and I passed them off as rubbish.  I happened to try out another pair at a local store a few months later and the difference was astonishing.  I ordered another pair and they sounded *so* much better than the first pair.  The first pair was just as you described: dull.  No dynamics to speak of, bass was anemic.  They didn't sound broken, they just sounded like overpriced mediocre headphones.  Second pair was a completely different animal.  Don't know if there was a defect or what, but the difference was amazing.

May 2, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #1,878 of 3,594
Quote:
My first pair was wholly unremarkable, and I passed them off as rubbish.  I happened to try out another pair at a local store a few months later and the difference was astonishing.  I ordered another pair and they sounded *so* much better than the first pair.  The first pair was just as you described: dull.  No dynamics to speak of, bass was anemic.  They didn't sound broken, they just sounded like overpriced mediocre headphones.  Second pair was a completely different animal.  Don't know if there was a defect or what, but the difference was amazing.

Quote:
got my second pair momentum today and from memory they sound dull compared to my first pair. is that a known issue, that sennheiser has some factory problems on them? 

Quality issues? It's not like that doesn't happen.

May 2, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #1,879 of 3,594
Quote:

I generally don't believe in break in.  But the Momentum definitely open up after a few hundred hours of use.

May 3, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #1,880 of 3,594
I generally don't believe in break in.  But the Momentum definitely open up after a few hundred hours of use.

I don't believe in break in too. To me is more like getting use to with the sound. The more we listen to it the more our ears can adapt its SQ. But one thing thou..i do believe the sound is changing after some period of time and the cause of that still mistery to me :D

May 3, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #1,883 of 3,594
^^^ Glad I bought the brown ones. 
size]

Great photos too!

May 6, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #1,887 of 3,594
I just received mine. Initial impression is good. As i would expect....the sound has similarity presentation to hd650. It not as airy and spacious as hd650. But anything else runs almost same presentation to hd650. The bass is definitely there. Good quantity..enough punch..and good depth and textured too. The mids has a good distance. Not too laidback. Not too forward. Just right. The mids has a good body to it. Nothing like thin that i can feel. It has a good weight too. Very good for blues or jazz. Vocal is clean and clear enough to listen. For slower jazz songs i love it so much. Very romantic sound it is. So relax with very nice quality of sound. The highs is also very good. I can say is far from being harsh or sibilant. Some recording (especially with faster pace music) i would expect a bit, just a bit of a crisp. But i guess no problem at all so far. Overall is very good actually for this size of headphone can produce this quality of music. I am happy so far !

The cup is smaller than i guess. But this smaller size compared to my vmoda m100, makes it more comfortable on my ear. It just sit almost totally on my ear with very soft clamping where as vmoda m100 only covers the back part of my ears and i have problem with the top and bottom part of my ears as they don't snug quite well. So for fitting i prefer momentum then vmoda m100.

I have problem with my new unit. On the left metal headband, on the shinny parts, i got some scratches. Bad scratches. Not a deep one...but Very noticeable when they positioned against the lights. Sad.

The Momentum and M100 they are good for allrounder and i love them both...but:

For jazz/blues/country/rock/ any easy listening genres i choose momentum over m100.

For pop/trance/dubstep/rnb --- nothing so far as good as my M100.

Happy listening !

May 7, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #1,889 of 3,594
I wonder if there is some sort of factory variation on these or do they really transform during the break in process? I ask this because after reading through this thread I hear some people making comments that they are disappointed that the Momentum is not more bassy. What? I heard them for the first time this weekend at a local meet. They have very punchy bass...of that there is no question. 

I heard a pair that was well broken in so maybe that is the difference. I saw a like new pair of these pop up today on the used forum and couldn't resist pulling the trigger. Looks like I'm in the club. 
size]

May 7, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #1,890 of 3,594
Quote:
I wonder if there is some sort of factory variation on these or do they really transform during the break in process? I ask this because after reading through this thread I hear some people making comments that they are disappointed that the Momentum is not more bassy. What? I heard them for the first time this weekend at a local meet. They have very punchy bass...of that there is no question. 

Momentum's frequency response measures almost identical to the HE-500 from 1000Khz downwards: putting aside the HE-500's brighter (neutral) nature, to my ears the closed back design of the Momentum naturally creates a much bigger punchier bass. 
If there were more bass it would certainly lean even further away from neutral, which I think would ruin most acoustic recordings. 

Welcome to the club - bassheads need not apply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back