Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Apr 6, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #1,726 of 3,594
I was able to spend some time with them this last week and compare them to the k550 and some others. They really do have a great sounding midrange and treble. I just wish it extended more. It didn't seem as dark sounding this time.

It definitely had the most polish and engaging sound of the bunch. I really like them.

Apr 7, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #1,727 of 3,594
I've been listening the Momentum with Fiio E17 for 2 months now and I'm getting enjoy it day by day.

Since my E17's "aux in" port has been bad contacted so right now i could only have the Momentum directly connected to my IPC when I'm on the go.

So I'm considering to get the CLAS Solo-DB and ALO RX3 for the on the go purpose (The buy would also be justified by by my mid-term plan of trying some Ortho HP like LCD2)

Anyone have such setup (IPC+Solo-DB+RX3+Momentum) and could share the experience and the listening impression?

Since Solo-DB+Rx3 combination still have some hiss/noise/channel imbalance issues (so far I've read from these two forums and some fixed version has been shipped out recently) especially in sensitive iems pairings (I suppose the low output impedance of Momentum also classified as sensitive iem) 

Apr 7, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #1,728 of 3,594
i wonder if the momentum would be an upgrade to the vmoda m80 soundwise. both seem to be warmer sounding headphones with some bass emphasis and rolled of treble. i would be interested in a comparison especially in imaging and soundstage depth.

Apr 7, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #1,729 of 3,594
Quote:
i wonder if the momentum would be an upgrade to the vmoda m80 soundwise. both seem to be warmer sounding headphones with some bass emphasis and rolled of treble. i would be interested in a comparison especially in imaging and soundstage depth.

I would consider the Momentum a better headphone.  Or at least it would be my choice.  The treble is far more rolled off on the M-80.  I will say the bass is a bit punchier(word?) on the M-80, but the Momentum goes deeper.  The mid-range is very robust on the M-80.  I just feel the Momentum has a much more balanced presentation when you compare the two.  There is something that is just unnatural about some vocals on the M-80.  To be fair, I have an aversion to excessively rolled off treble.  

Apr 7, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #1,730 of 3,594
Quote:

If you're using a Grado (or any other open design) in a quiet public place then yes, they can hear you. Closed cans are closed for a reason.

In that case i would turn the volume all the way to barely audible then, i also regularly check the loudness of the leak by taking them off my head and holding it near me, if i can hear it means i turn it down. I have done this check so many times that i roughly know how loud is my maximum level i can play in a noise area without disturbing other people at certain distances.
For closed i have my sony stock IEM's which are surprisingly really good for a stock.(amping does helps too) Probably about almost as good as an XBA-1 in overall quality.

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #1,732 of 3,594
Quote:
I sometimes clamp the Momentums on my thigh to simulate how loud others can hear my music when their sealed tightly around my head. Sometimes it's unnoticeably quiet. Sometimes the opposite.

That's the weirdest thing I've read all day, however, I've been trying to figure out how loud my Momentums are while I'm listening to them as well. The place I work at has a quiet floor and no one ever complains about how loud they are so they can't be too bad (I've been yelled at for having whispering conversations before).

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #1,733 of 3,594
Quote:
That's the weirdest thing I've read all day, however, I've been trying to figure out how loud my Momentums are while I'm listening to them as well. The place I work at has a quiet floor and no one ever complains about how loud they are so they can't be too bad (I've been yelled at for having whispering conversations before).

Oh the irony...

As long as one listens to respectable sound levels the leakage of any closed should not be a problem.
But if anyone listens to ungodly volumes then leakage becomes a problem on any headphone.

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #1,734 of 3,594
Oh the irony...

As long as one listens to respectable sound levels the leakage of any closed should not be a problem.

But if anyone listens to ungodly volumes then leakage becomes a problem on any headphone.

Well not entirely true. My denon d2000 leak like the devil and I do not listen to them at ungodly levels.

Apr 8, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #1,735 of 3,594
Quote:
Well not entirely true. My denon d2000 leak like the devil and I do not listen to them at ungodly levels.

Lol well if i remember the d2000 does not isolate well?

Apr 8, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #1,736 of 3,594
I'm still debating between the brown and black. I like the momentums but is there anything that is similar with a little bit of a larger soundstage? I prefer something that is designed to be portable as i plan to use them on the go as well as in home. I really wanted to get the hd 598 but the fact it is an open design has kind of made me shy away from that.

Apr 8, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #1,737 of 3,594
Quote:
I'm still debating between the brown and black. I like the momentums but is there anything that is similar with a little bit of a larger soundstage? I prefer something that is designed to be portable as i plan to use them on the go as well as in home. I really wanted to get the hd 598 but the fact it is an open design has kind of made me shy away from that.

I have yet to hear them for myself, but I've read the (also very stylish) MDR-1R has a wider soundstage, and it's also designed for portable use. If you wanted something very similar in sound to the Momentum but with large soundstage, the only headphone I'd know is the HD600/650. Problem is, they're not portable. Maybe look up the Sony and see if it fits your tastes. I wish I had more recommendations, but in my little collection the Momentum's sound signature is unique. Good luck!

Apr 9, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #1,739 of 3,594
Quote:

Don't think so... I've found the DT1350 to be a much more refined headphone than the Momentum with better resolution, less upper bass and more sparkle. They might sound better when your ears fit within the cups, but the overall signature is too far from my ideal: small changes to the better would not suffice...

I don't consider the Momentum to be a bad sounding headphone, but much too warm for my taste.

I think the DT1350 has better but not more treble than the Momentum. I found the Sennheiser a bit splashy and unbalanced, too much artificial boosting at both of the spectrum. The Beyers are much more balanced and neutral to my ears.

Apr 9, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #1,740 of 3,594
Momentums are better than MDR 1R, I think. I listened to MDR 1Rs at a Sony store and they didn't impress me the way Momentums did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back