Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Apr 12, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #1,758 of 3,594
Quote:
Just checking, is anyone hearing any difference between the iPhone cable and the stock cable provided?

none

Apr 12, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #1,759 of 3,594
Quote:
got mine today. ah, am i wearing my hd439? sound is exactly the same. sennheiser must be kidding! there is absolutely no difference except the he439 is comfortable and the momentum is not. never say never, but i guess it will be my last sennheiser for a longtime. its not bad, but hey, you can get the same sound for 60 bucks. do not think, the fancy leather style is worth 5 times the price.

I disagree. Momentum is much closer to HD600 in terms of sound signature, quality and refinement. You should use  CD or lossless formats such as Flac though. Obviously mp3 format isn't going to sound nice on quality equipment.

Apr 12, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #1,761 of 3,594
Quote:
no one has won a blind test yet

Between an HD439 vs a Momentum or a low bit-rate mp3 vs a flac/wav? 
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #1,763 of 3,594
Quote:
what do you guess?
wink.gif

Well, I would guess mp3/flac - but I think most of the mp3 vs wav tests are flawed. 
I've taken a few tests and usually score around 85% correctly (does that count as losing a test?), but I think I would score higher if they used different music.
Even to score that high took MANY A/B listens before I could make a decision on each sound sample.

Almost all of the tests I've taken were either a single instrument, or a very small ensemble jazz or acoustic music. These technically don't have a huge amount of information, so compression doesn't lose a lot of information. 
If however the tests included full orchestra classical music or rock/metal where A LOT of sounds are occurring simultaneously, the differences between wav and low-bit-rate mp3 become vastly clearer as there is much more information to lose in the compression. 

What this does prove (IMHO) is that under some circumstances there is practically no difference, but I'm sure people would score a lot higher in the tests and care more about wav/flac files given more complex source material. 

Apr 13, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #1,764 of 3,594
The simplicity of the design and Senn's sound signature brought me to momentum as well.

That's just my quick, first feeling, thoughts from one hour shop encounter, so I don't have much experience with them but I trust my guts.
I feed them from Note2> flac 16/44>neutron MP> headphone     OR    usb audio out> otg usb> Fiio E7 dac> Fiio E7 amp> headphone.

So went to store yesterday, spend one hour testing new momemtum and amperior and, comparing directly to my old DT150, just wasn't 100 % sure about them, everything was there but I guess was just looking for something else in sq,  they both great phones and luckily the had just display once...

I wanted momentum as a portable and as much I love the design and sound, I don't like cable very much so will replace it and had a feeling that in those moments when I can't listen to them I couldn't wear them on my neck much,  they are still on bigger side for portable use, to beauty to stuff them to the bag and very nice protector case is very big as well.
For home use their nice leather pads are soft and fit my ears but there is very little space so ears might get warm and possibly sweaty in prolonged home use.
I know they are beauty and simple design is best I've seen so far
but I had my doubts, probably, for the price high expectations as well....

Then my uncle came to replace apple ear buds which just can't stay in his ears. I suggest him over ears instead of buds and only in store with apple control were Sennheiser PX100IIi.
OMG what a gem of a phone... in first minute they spoke to me. I dare to say that this fresh, from the box, not burned in PX100IIi, moved me more then Momentums Amperiors... all in first minute no doubts and for 80euro with iphone controls and 26GBP !!!!!! on amazon.co.uk without controls... these are my portables now together with Heirs IEM 5.0.
They drivers fold flat so I can't fell it on my neck, great on ears, sound is miracle for the price, and you can fold them to fit small sunglasses case for transport.

Lads help me on that one as I seems to not trust my ears now! Does any one compared A to B Momentum with PX100II??
Mad Dogs vs Momentum for home use ??

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #1,765 of 3,594
The simplicity of the design and Senn's sound signature brought me to momentum as well.

That's just my quick, first feeling, thoughts from one hour shop encounter, so I don't have much experience with them but I trust my guts.
I feed them from Note2> flac 16/44>neutron MP> headphone     OR    usb audio out> otg usb> Fiio E7 dac> Fiio E7 amp> headphone.

So went to store yesterday, spend one hour testing new momemtum and amperior and, comparing directly to my old DT150, just wasn't 100 % sure about them, everything was there but I guess was just looking for something else in sq,  they both great phones and luckily the had just display once...

I wanted momentum as a portable and as much I love the design and sound, I don't like cable very much so will replace it and had a feeling that in those moments when I can't listen to them I couldn't wear them on my neck much,  they are still on bigger side for portable use, to beauty to stuff them to the bag and very nice protector case is very big as well.
For home use their nice leather pads are soft and fit my ears but there is very little space so ears might get warm and possibly sweaty in prolonged home use.
I know they are beauty and simple design is best I've seen so far
but I had my doubts, probably, for the price high expectations as well....

Then my uncle came to replace apple ear buds which just can't stay in his ears. I suggest him over ears instead of buds and only in store with apple control were Sennheiser PX100IIi.
OMG what a gem of a phone... in first minute they spoke to me. I dare to say that this fresh, from the box, not burned in PX100IIi, moved me more then Momentums Amperiors... all in first minute no doubts and for 80euro with iphone controls and 26GBP !!!!!! on amazon.co.uk without controls... these are my portables now together with Heirs IEM 5.0.
They drivers fold flat so I can't fell it on my neck, great on ears, sound is miracle for the price, and you can fold them to fit small sunglasses case for transport.

Lads help me on that one as I seems to not trust my ears now! Does any one compared A to B Momentum with PX100II??
Mad Dogs vs Momentum for home use ??

So you're looking for home use? Not something really portable or transportable? The Momentum excels at many things, but for home use, there are plenty of other cans that are much more suited and just better sounding. The Mad Dogs being one of them. If you're really on the fence, head over to the recommendations thread and ask people there instead of in this Momentum focused thread. You're gonna want an answer with a much larger scope.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/full-size-headphone-recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op

Apr 14, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #1,766 of 3,594
I've had a chance to listen to these briefly, with probably a few more chances in the future since a friend of mine has them.

In terms of build quality, they are quite good, and feel fairly upscale. The fit could be better - the earcups are small and the bottom of the earcup could be more secure against the ear. Mind you, I'm very much a member of Team Melonhead.

Sound-wise, they are classic Sennheiser, and that's very much a good thing. They have a warm sound signature, though they're not overly warm. The bass is reasonably well controlled though it doesn't have the resolution and tightness of higher-end cans. The mids are nice and warm, with a good tonality and reasonable resolution, though again they could be more detailed. The highs are where things fall down slightly - they're not overemphasized, in fact they're quite reserved, but they're also a bit artificial sounding and really don't have the resolution of something like the HD600 or HD650. However they're also not offensive in any way. These can also soundstage decently, and they have the ability to make sound appear outside of your head.

Overall, these are very pleasing headphones that don't do anything particularly badly, but also don't really have the resolution to be high-end. However, they are impressive for what they are. Closed headphones are usually flat-out terrible, and these are not.

I think they're a good buy for the money, but I'll stick to IEMs.

Apr 14, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #1,767 of 3,594
A very sexy pair of cans. 

It has me considering the age old question on whether I should let go of my k702s since I like the Sennheiser house sound. That or move towards the HD650. 

Apr 14, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #1,768 of 3,594
Quote:
A very sexy pair of cans. 

It has me considering the age old question on whether I should let go of my k702s since I like the Sennheiser house sound. That or move towards the HD650. 

Those three are all very different and I wouldn't compare a portable closed can anywhere near the sound that comes from either the K702 or HD650. They are simply in a different class beyond anything the Momentum could ever do. That being said, the Momentum is a decent can if you can find it for the right price. Definitely keep the K702, though.

Apr 14, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #1,769 of 3,594
Quote:

Those three are all very different and I wouldn't compare a portable closed can anywhere near the sound that comes from either the K702 or HD650. They are simply in a different class beyond anything the Momentum could ever do. That being said, the Momentum is a decent can if you can find it for the right price. Definitely keep the K702, though.

Oh definitely. I'm acutely aware of that.

I just don't use cans much though to be fair. I was under the brief impression (without reading too much), that the Momentums bear some semblance to the HD598/600/650. I could be completely wrong on this mind. 

I do like the 702s. But just don't see the use for them (too much) in my current setup. Perhaps something to just hold onto :)

Apr 14, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #1,770 of 3,594
Quote:

Oh definitely. I'm acutely aware of that.

I just don't use cans much though to be fair. I was under the brief impression (without reading too much), that the Momentums bear some semblance to the HD598/600/650. I could be completely wrong on this mind. 

I do like the 702s. But just don't see the use for them (too much) in my current setup. Perhaps something to just hold onto :)

Gotcha. From my experience, the Momentum is about the most un-Senn sounding can they produce. It's very up-to-date, hip kinda sound (if that makes any sense).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back