Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Mar 18, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #1,607 of 3,594
Quote:
I came back to my room after having some dinner, and I encountered this wild animal thinking of chewing me cable

Bad, bad bunny.

The cups would DEFINITELY not fit over his ears.

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #1,610 of 3,594
Nothing "unclassy" about the black version...
wink.gif

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #1,611 of 3,594
Black is always more classy and hip if you are into that. Hope no one cares but I'm selling my mint momentums on the FS forums if anyone is interested in buying this great portable headphone!

Mar 19, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #1,614 of 3,594
Quote:

... audiophiles generally favor neutral sounding headphones....

Still, no matter what the case is, what is ultimately better is what sounds better to you. 
k701smile.gif

Sorry, but that's a load of rubbish.
Audiophiles generally prefer whatever they prefer - which is exactly what your last sentence states very clearly. Do I sense some contradiction? 
biggrin.gif
 (don't worry I'm just teasing)

Although I agree that the Momentum isn't neutral, I would say the sound on the whole is quite natural, and the timbre is really excellent. A little thick at times, but mostly is sounds right.

Mar 19, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #1,615 of 3,594
Quote:

I'm not saying it is. What I am saying is the Momentum is highly colored with very accentuated lows and audiophiles generally favor neutral sounding headphones. I don't think anyone would say the Momentum is neutral, but people would say that about the K550, comparatively.

Still, no matter what the case is, what is ultimately better is what sounds better to you. 
k701smile.gif

The Momentum is warm, that doesn't make it colored. 

The bass is slightly pushed up though, and slightly "bloomy". And the treble a bit laid-back. But the midrange tonality is very, very good. 

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #1,616 of 3,594
Quote:

The Momentum is warm, that doesn't make it colored. 

The bass is slightly pushed up though, and slightly "bloomy". And the treble a bit laid-back. But the midrange tonality is very, very good. 

The Momentum is beyond warm, IMO, with the lows highly exaggerated. Not to the point of calling it a basshead's can, but not far off either.

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #1,617 of 3,594
Quote:
Sorry, but that's a load of rubbish.
Audiophiles generally prefer whatever they prefer - which is exactly what your last sentence states very clearly. Do I sense some contradiction? 
biggrin.gif
 (don't worry I'm just teasing)

Although I agree that the Momentum isn't neutral, I would say the sound on the whole is quite natural, and the timbre is really excellent. A little thick at times, but mostly is sounds right.

From what I've gathered and read here, this is my perception. Now could it be wrong? Sure. I'm wrong all the time. Now that line I through up there, I know it's a bit black and white and very very generalized, but I've been told by audiophiles on this forum one a lot more than one occasion that it is generally the case. I could probably go back and find the posts where that was said. Now the second line in there, yeah, it is a contradiction. I threw it in there because I tend to believe it more than the "an audiophile must love this!" line.

Thoughts?

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #1,618 of 3,594
Quote:

The Momentum is beyond warm, IMO, with the lows highly exaggerated. Not to the point of calling it a basshead's can, but not far off either.

I don't agree. Both measurements and my hearing tells me that overall, the Momentum is nicely balanced and on the neutral side. I've not spent enough time with the K550 to compare but the Momentum is closer to neutral than let's say the HD 800. Or the AKG K701. 

Many headphones today have a sound that's a bit on the colder side. Brighter and thinner headphones seem to be perceived as cleaner and more detailed by many. That was my impression of the HD 800 at first. But comparing them to STAX (my reference) the Momentum is closer than the HD 800. 

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #1,619 of 3,594
Quote:

I don't agree. Both measurements and my hearing tells me that overall, the Momentum is nicely balanced and on the neutral side. I've not spent enough time with the K550 to compare but the Momentum is closer to neutral than let's say the HD 800. Or the AKG K701. 

Many headphones today have a sound that's a bit on the colder side. Brighter and thinner headphones seem to be perceived as cleaner and more detailed by many. That was my impression of the HD 800 at first. But comparing them to STAX (my reference) the Momentum is closer than the HD 800. 

I hear what you're saying. It's all subjective. Different ears, different... strokes?

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #1,620 of 3,594
Quote:

From what I've gathered and read here, this is my perception. Now could it be wrong? Sure. I'm wrong all the time. Now that line I through up there, I know it's a bit black and white and very very generalized, but I've been told by audiophiles on this forum one a lot more than one occasion that it is generally the case. I could probably go back and find the posts where that was said. Now the second line in there, yeah, it is a contradiction. I threw it in there because I tend to believe it more than the "an audiophile must love this!" line.

Thoughts?

Now let's count how many threads started in the past 2 years were titled something like "Best headphones under $150 for BASSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!" 

An audiophile is anyone interested in [higher end] audio equipment, but a lot of new audiophiles these days seem to only be interested in one aspect of audio - the lower registers, and how well it 'shakes ma' brainz'. 
Do I agree with this? No. But it's a trend we shouldn't ignore. 

Sorry, but I must have missed the bit about "an audiophile must love this!" - could you explain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back