Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Mar 17, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #1,576 of 3,594
Hello  everyone!

I am planing to buy the momentum and use it with my galaxy s3. I read that my phone has  3.45 output impedance and momentum impedance is around 18 (only around 5 times higher). So do I need a dac/amp to have good sound?? Maby an amp/dac like iBasso D-zero would do the trick? 
happy_face1.gif

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #1,577 of 3,594
I really like the sound of the momentum, but I just find myself moving them around every 5-10 minutes because my ears get sore. I really wish they were a bit bigger. I don't think my ears are really much bigger than normal either...

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #1,578 of 3,594
Quote:
I really like the sound of the momentum, but I just find myself moving them around every 5-10 minutes because my ears get sore. I really wish they were a bit bigger. I don't think my ears are really much bigger than normal either...

Same here. It makes me wonder how Sennheiser got these to market without anyone pointing this out first, or maybe they just didn't care.

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #1,579 of 3,594
Quote:
Hello  everyone!

I am planing to buy the momentum and use it with my galaxy s3. I read that my phone has  3.45 output impedance and momentum impedance is around 18 (only around 5 times higher). So do I need a dac/amp to have good sound?? Maby an amp/dac like iBasso D-zero would do the trick? 
happy_face1.gif

Your phone should handle the Momentums fine. You don't need one, but a dac/amp combo would still improve the sound.

Also, maybe I just have small ears but I find the Momentums insanely comfortable. I spent four hours with them on last night and only had to adjust them once or twice.

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #1,580 of 3,594
Quote:
Same here. It makes me wonder how Sennheiser got these to market without anyone pointing this out first, or maybe they just didn't care.

I wonder what their beta testers were doing when evaluating the comfort of the HD205 as well. It was almost as uncomfortable as the mixrs to me
blink.gif
 (and to speak of that who evaluated the comfort of the mixrs anyway??)

Mar 17, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #1,581 of 3,594
Quote:
Hello  everyone!

happy_face1.gif

The Momentum is made to be powered directly by any iDevice or other portable player. It's highly efficient and sounds stunning without an amp.

Mar 17, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #1,582 of 3,594
Quote:
Your phone should handle the Momentums fine. You don't need one, but a dac/amp combo would still improve the sound.

Also, maybe I just have small ears but I find the Momentums insanely comfortable. I spent four hours with them on last night and only had to adjust them once or twice.

I am afraid that I will have problem like this http://www.head-fi.org/t/639224/sennheiser-momentum-help-audio-issue

How much would a dac/amp like iBasso D-zero improve the sound? 10% , 20%?

My ears ar 6,3cm long, so I think Momentums should fit nicely
normal_smile .gif

Mar 17, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #1,583 of 3,594
Quote:

This was THE REASON I bought the MDR-1R instead. Although I prefer the sound of the Momentum, it means nothing if I can't leave them on for an extended time. The 1R is damn near close to the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn and I'd say it gets 99% of the way there in terms of its sonic differences with the Momentum.

Mar 17, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #1,584 of 3,594
Quote:
I am afraid that I will have problem like this http://www.head-fi.org/t/639224/sennheiser-momentum-help-audio-issue 

normal_smile%20.gif

I found that an amp/dac improved upon the overall sound quite significantly. Even though they are easy to drive... refinement, clarity, and detail was improved upon. I would say 10 to 15% better sound with a good amp/dac would be correct.

Mar 17, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #1,585 of 3,594
Quote:

normal_smile%20.gif

An amp may improve the sound. It's really dependent on the amp and it's highly subjective. If I were to amp the Momentum, I would stay with solid state and look for something that helps with the mids.

Bottom line: I really think you're going to be 100% satisfied running the Momentum straight off your Galaxy. Try that first before making any other sort of investment. Even if you do make an investment, don't expect a noticeable difference.

Mar 17, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #1,586 of 3,594
Quote:

An amp may improve the sound. It's really dependent on the amp and it's highly subjective. If I were to amp the Momentum, I would stay with solid state and look for something that helps with the mids.

Bottom line: I really think you're going to be 100% satisfied running the Momentum straight off your Galaxy. Try that first before making any other sort of investment. Even if you do make an investment, don't expect a noticeable difference.

The Momentum runs more than fine out of all my portable devices (including the S3, Xperia Z, iPhone 5, iPad 2). An amp is not at all necessary. 

Mar 17, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #1,587 of 3,594
Quote:

The Momentum runs more than fine out of all my portable devices (including the S3, Xperia Z, iPhone 5, iPad 2). An amp is not at all necessary. 

Exactly.

Mar 17, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #1,589 of 3,594
Quote:
For those that have owed these for awhile and liked the comfort initially, do you still feel that way?  Especially for extended listening sessions, say 3-4 hours?

I use my Momentums for like 5 hours a day (2-3 hours listening, the rest I leave them on while resting my ears with the music turned off or simply as earwarmers). Never, ever, I have felt any disconfort or pain in any point of my ears nor skin.

http://www.madridhifi.com/p/sennheiser-momentum

For anyone living on or visiting Spain, here's a nice price, both brown and black Momentum at 219€ free shipping.

Mar 17, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #1,590 of 3,594
They are very comfortable for long periods if your ears aren't too big. Otherwise they rest on your ears and can get a little uncomfortable... well for me at least. I would easily go couple of hours before I started fiddling with position to ease the discomfort. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back