Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Mar 12, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #1,546 of 3,594
Quote:
how big is the price jump?

HD518 around 140$ , HD558 at 170$ and HD598 at 230$ so seems like the middle range model has much better value (I checked prices with google shopping)

Mar 12, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #1,547 of 3,594
Grados aren't the best example, but many have criticised them for producing a lot of the same, and only apparently improving the quality/purity of the copper voice coil, copper cable and external materials.

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #1,548 of 3,594
Quote:
how big is the price jump?

I just quickly skimmed through the grado line and it does seem like they do use different drivers as well as different materials and designs in their different product offerings. Their $100 jump between SR225i to the SR325is at least has different measurable specs on the drivers along with different materials, not just a earcup material swap. how often do you see just a outside material change with no driver changes being marked up a lot? just curious if you knew other examples.

also, do you know of any examples where they just sell the same pair of headphones but "tune" the drivers or something?

The Shure 840 and 940 were rumored to do this (not sure if it was confirmed) and I can tell you for a fact they sound very different

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #1,549 of 3,594
Quote:
The Shure 840 and 940 were rumored to do this (not sure if it was confirmed) and I can tell you for a fact they sound very different

+1... very different indeed.

Mar 13, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #1,551 of 3,594
Get brown, they look better. 
biggrin.gif

But to answer your question, no. 

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #1,553 of 3,594
Quote:
does anyone know if razordogdeals.com is going to get the black color. and when is the black color releasing, i was about to get the brown ones but then i saw these.

Also, FYI.  Should be in stock this weekend.  

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/SENNHEISER+-+MOMENTUM+Over-the-Ear+Headphones/8057248.p?id=1218863729827&skuId=8057248&st=momentum&cp=1&lp=2

Mar 13, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #1,554 of 3,594
I've had these headphones since last December. A while back in this thread there was a discussion about how some Momentums' ear pads on the left and right were different. Mine are different too. I thought it might not bother me, but I'm always having to adjust my right side higher than my left by about an inch, and there's still less seal on one side than the other.

Does anyone know where I can contact Sennheiser to see if I can get a new ear pad?

Mar 13, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #1,555 of 3,594
Quote:
I've had these headphones since last December. A while back in this thread there was a discussion about how some Momentums' ear pads on the left and right were different. Mine are different too. I thought it might not bother me, but I'm always having to adjust my right side higher than my left by about an inch, and there's still less seal on one side than the other.

Does anyone know where I can contact Sennheiser to see if I can get a new ear pad?

I don't believe you will find genuine leather earpads that are an exact match, but if you are in the US, this is their contact page...

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/service-support/contact-center/how-to-reach-us

Mar 14, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #1,556 of 3,594
Quote:

If it's really bad and noticeable, you could try just getting a replacement within warranty, arguing that this model shouldn't have passed Sennheiser's quality control. 
Just a thought.

Mar 14, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #1,557 of 3,594
Quote:
At 299€ I do consider the Momentum overpriced at 199€ I gladly buy another pair (the black ones).

I think they're slightly overpriced but they filled a niche for me that other headphones couldn't. I spent a couple weeks trying to decide on something for my travels and the Momentums were the only headphones that had a balanced sound, are portable on their own, and fit my "look" far more than any competing cans. The V-Modas seem nice but I don't want a strong bass at the cost of mids and their appearance just doesn't fit in with the rest of my everyday attire. The MDR-1Rs sounds good but I like the Momentum look a lot more. At this point in my life I'm willing to spend $100 extra on something that fits my preferences well.

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #1,558 of 3,594
I've been living with my black Momentums for about a month now. For use straight out of my iPhone 4S (which is why I got them in the first place) I find this headphone to be a perfect combination of sonics, design, materials, and ergonomics. I grabbed them new for $300US and feel that they're worth it that price point. $350 though is just a bit too much.

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #1,559 of 3,594
3 months with them now, and theyre pretty good, i dont know too much about audio quality, this is my first pair with real quality i think, i paid the normal $350 price, but im happy with them and its okay maybe theyre overpriced but their material and quality deserves it, very happy.

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #1,560 of 3,594
Quote:
3 months with them now, and theyre pretty good, i dont know too much about audio quality, this is my first pair with real quality i think, i paid the normal $350 price, but im happy with them and its okay maybe theyre overpriced but their material and quality deserves it, very happy.

That's exactly how I feel. If they're overpriced I enjoy them too much to care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back