Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Jan 16, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #1,276 of 3,594
Quote:
Hello Headfiers, I just acquired these Sennheiser Momentum headphones, and aside for being blown away by the sound quality these headphones provide, I do have a question, or rather, a problem with the inline mic. I have a Xperia S Android device, and although I know the inline controls won't work with any Android device, the mic should work, right? 

I don't really care about the controls, as I'm very used to unlocking the phone and skipping tracks, turning the volume up and down and that stuff, but the lack of mic makes me feel like I'm missing a feature. Other hands free devices do work just fine (the one provided with the phone works as it should).

Can anyone enlighten me with an answer? Does the mic work or not with Android devices?

headphones with mics don't work with my Xperia W8 (a recoloured X8) altogether. music doesn't play with it

Jan 16, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #1,277 of 3,594
Quote:
headphones with mics don't work with my Xperia W8 (a recoloured X8) altogether. music doesn't play with it

The new Sony Xperia S, Xperia P and Xperia U will use a different 3.5mm headset standard compared to the older Xperia models from 2010 & 2011. The spec sheet for the new 2012 Xperia models highlight that the 3.5mm jack will now use the CTIA standard as opposed to the OMTP standard it was using previously.

So what does this mean in English? Well, one of the common issues that users of Xperia phones faced was incompatibility with certain headsets/headphones. If you tried to plug a CTIA headset into an Xperia phone it may have had reduced functionality or it may not even have worked at all. This is as the 3.5mm plug is wired differently in both standards. The CTIA standard is more common and is the one adopted by Apple iOS devices.

Sony’s move to adopt the CTIA standard for its 3.5mm jack is good news as it immediately opens up a wide range of accessories for 2012 Xperia owners. However, the flip side to this, is that due to the different pin configuration, older headsets that can currently be used with 2010/2011 Xperia devices will not be compatible with 2012 Xperia phones.

Well, according to this text I copied from a Xperia Blog, 2012 devices feature the same wiring as iOS devices, my Xperia S is a 2012 model so, in theory at least, should be compatible with headsets designed for iOS devices. Which makes things more confusing. Weird.

And after googling a little bit more, I found a posible answer:

After double checking with sony the reason for this is that Xperia S supplies 2V purely from an energy consumption perspective. The microphone in the bundled Sony Mobile headset is Electret microphones that only require a 2V feed. Other suppliers (for example, iPhone headsets) use MEMS microphones that require a minimum of 2,7V.

In order to be fully compatible with all 3rd party headsets, Sony phones need to supply a minimum of 2,7V which it doesn't.

Which renders the mic provided with the Momentum useless to my phone.

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #1,279 of 3,594
I was just in a quiet library for 2 hours with people sitting next to me on he table. I then listened to The Wall at about 75% (louder than my normal listens) from my iPhone 4S for 15 minutes. I then asked the people sitting next to me if they could hear any of my music. To my surprise, they didn't hear anything. Taking off the Momentums before pausing the music was a bad idea though :D

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #1,280 of 3,594
I just ordered the Black version off of sennheiser's own site, only place I could find them really. I was impressed by them earlier when they were released and as soon as I saw the black version I knew I had to get it. I didn't really see anyone ordering the black version yet so I decided to share it here, just click on the 'add to cart' link on the left. According to them it's in stock, I hope they don't take long to ship it.

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #1,281 of 3,594
Quote:
I just ordered the Black version off of sennheiser's own site, only place I could find them really. I was impressed by them earlier when they were released and as soon as I saw the black version I knew I had to get it. I didn't really see anyone ordering the black version yet so I decided to share it here, just click on the 'add to cart' link on the left. According to them it's in stock, I hope they don't take long to ship it.

JR.com has them on preorder, too. 

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #1,283 of 3,594
When I bought mine, I thought I got the black Momentums. I went to this store and saw they had all Sennheisers with 20% off, when they were just released they costed 349€ on that same store, then they stood steady on 299 for several months. So from 299 I got them for 240 or so with said discount.

The funny thing is that I was so getting them, but the only one left was what I thought to be a black one, I liked the brown better, it's classier. But still I asked the guy to confirm if they were indeed black, he checked on the computer and he confirmed, he told me they're black, we never had brown on store, how can it be, just last week I been to the same store and saw the brown version. Anyways, long story short, I sighed, I really wanted them brown, but for 240€ I had to get them even if they were in psycedelich pink. When arrived home, I rushed to open the box, and to my surprise, they were in pretty classy brown and I was like omg :D

They're my first high end phones, and I was instantly blown away by the sound quality, they make my Sennheiser HD449 sound soul less, muffled and boring, and makes my Shure SE215 sound grainy and lackluster in the high end of the spectrum. I'm definetively satisfied. Although girlfriend is not amused by the price, at least I got her to say they're pretty, so it counts as a win.

I thought I'd shared this with you guys.

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #1,284 of 3,594
Here's a short interview with Axel Grell of Sennheiser discussing the Momentums and their reasons for launching them - from CES...I said I'd be posting up here on Head-Fi.

Jan 19, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #1,287 of 3,594
Actually I notice quite a difference when using it with my Jds labs c421, which if I'm not mistaking should also fit in your budget.
It tightens the bass and brings the highs a little bit more forward, which makes it overall a little bit more neutral.
Also I think that the c421 in general is a really great amp :wink:

Jan 21, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #1,289 of 3,594
Quote:
Actually I notice quite a difference when using it with my Jds labs c421, which if I'm not mistaking should also fit in your budget.
It tightens the bass and brings the highs a little bit more forward, which makes it overall a little bit more neutral.
Also I think that the c421 in general is a really great amp :wink:

w/ what opamp? Sounds like the AD8610?

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #1,290 of 3,594
It's the AD8620 :wink:
I haven't heard the OPA 2227 but I'm very happy with the 8620.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back