Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Jan 8, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #1,246 of 3,594
To Speakerphile,
Thanks for the tip. Yes, it was the buttom of my right ear leaking sound. I actually tried for about half hour to get a good fit. And I did lowered the ear cup. I tried every possible position I could think of, still I can't get the fit.
(I ended up buying DT770 Pro LE, which is very good sounding too)

Jan 8, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #1,247 of 3,594
My Youtube Review:

Jan 8, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #1,248 of 3,594
Having fun ABing the Momentum w/ the DT770 LE.

Huge favor: Can anyone do a side by side picture (and maybe one stacked) comparing the Beyer DT Bag (which comes standard w/ many of the Beyer Headphones but not the LE, sadly) with the Momentum case. I'm factoring which I like the best and portability is definitely a concern. I'm pretty sure Momentum will win out on the portability, but if I'm only talking a couple inches difference, I'd like to know..

Right now, the Momentum's mids are more engaging, warm, inviting and detailed than the DT770 LE. The DT770 is a more overall encompassing sound, more similar to live music w/ its bass presentation. The DT770 is no slouch without an amp, but amping seems to tighten up the bass and maybe bring forward the mids a bit (w/ the C421 OPA2227). The Momentum has an addicting clarity but you can feel the music more with the DT770 LE. Bringing cost into consideration, the difference between the two is enough to leave funds for a portable amp for the DT770, though not quite the C421. (Though having a portable amp kind of makes the whole set up less portable; I like that the Momentum is ridiculously easy to drive.) Currently, its a tough call. I look forward to listening to both more. Overall, Its been a very  enjoyable two hours after I woke up not being able to sleep. I think I'd be happy with either. Were the Momentum case slimmer and more compact, it would be a slightly easier sell, imo, as the one stop answer to a portable headphone; the size of the case leaves me questioning if its worth to got a bit bigger and lug around the DT770 LE.

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #1,249 of 3,594
Quote:
Having fun ABing the Momentum w/ the DT770 LE.

Huge favor: Can anyone do a side by side picture (and maybe one stacked) comparing the Beyer DT Bag (which comes standard w/ many of the Beyer Headphones but not the LE, sadly) with the Momentum case. I'm factoring which I like the best and portability is definitely a concern. I'm pretty sure Momentum will win out on the portability, but if I'm only talking a couple inches difference, I'd like to know..

Right now, the Momentum's mids are more engaging, warm, inviting and detailed than the DT770 LE. The DT770 is a more overall encompassing sound, more similar to live music w/ its bass presentation. The DT770 is no slouch without an amp, but amping seems to tighten up the bass and maybe bring forward the mids a bit (w/ the C421 OPA2227). The Momentum has an addicting clarity but you can feel the music more with the DT770 LE. Bringing cost into consideration, the difference between the two is enough to leave funds for a portable amp for the DT770, though not quite the C421. (Though having a portable amp kind of makes the whole set up less portable; I like that the Momentum is ridiculously easy to drive.) Currently, its a tough call. I look forward to listening to both more. Overall, Its been a very  enjoyable two hours after I woke up not being able to sleep. I think I'd be happy with either. Were the Momentum case slimmer and more compact, it would be a slightly easier sell, imo, as the one stop answer to a portable headphone; the size of the case leaves me questioning if its worth to got a bit bigger and lug around the DT770 LE.

I have not seen the Beyer case, but I will say that the Momentum case is rather large.  They definitely could have made it smaller.  It seems as though it would be pretty rugged though.  I don't think you would have to worry about your headphones being damaged.  

Jan 8, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #1,254 of 3,594
It's a good thing I waited.  I like the black with red cable more.

No matter the color I'm sure you'll enjoy the headphones.

I'm listening to them right now and like every time they just leave a smile on my face. They really hit all the right spots for me. While they sure don't have the openness and utmost clarity/resolution of my HD 800 (and especially STAX) or that last bit of bass tightness and extension of the LCD-2 I only think about this when directly comparing.

They are EXACTLY what I want tonality wise for a headphone of this type. Full, rich, smooth, grain-free - with a tastefully laidback (and peak-free) treble that makes them easy on the ears and nicely forgiving with lesser recordings without sounding dark or muffled/lacking in air like the B&W P5, Shure SE535 and even the LCD-2 and some slight bass emphasis that never sounds overbearing but adds some fun-factor.

The only thing about them that sometimes makes me wish for a "high-end" headphone is that the soundstage is really quite small but that's nitpicking.

And for $350? With a design and build quality as classy as this, great portability and good isolation?

Call me seduced :D

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #1,255 of 3,594
About the case - it is quite large, though as others have said it's also pretty durable. There are only 2 things I dislike about the case -
1. I'm not that keen on the colour, it would be nice if it was a bit darker
2. You have to put the ear cups back to their highest position and re-adjust whenever you take them out of the case. It's not too much of a problem right now, but I wonder if it will cause the cups' grip on the band to loosen over time.

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #1,257 of 3,594
Quote:
About the case - it is quite large, though as others have said it's also pretty durable. There are only 2 things I dislike about the case -
1. I'm not that keen on the colour, it would be nice if it was a bit darker
2. You have to put the ear cups back to their highest position and re-adjust whenever you take them out of the case. It's not too much of a problem right now, but I wonder if it will cause the cups' grip on the band to loosen over time.

Having to move the cups is definitely annoying.  I would worry about long term wear as well.  I can't really think of a better solution for this though, without making the case considerably larger.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back