Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Nov 22, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #767 of 3,594
Quote:
The earpad isnt going back on. :/ BTW when the heck is the m100 coming out?

is it possible to post picture of the earpiece and the earpad? maybe we can figure out a way

Nov 22, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #768 of 3,594
Quote:
Are you getting a good seal with the Momentums? If the pads are resting on your ears rather than your head, you will experience less 'detail/clarity'.

I'm fairly fortunate to have small enough ears for the earpads to fit around my ears.  I do wear glasses, but I've tried the Momentum both with and without.  Don't get me wrong:  I think that the Momentum has the best clarity among the headphones it competes with (blows away the P5. for example), but my IEM is a Westone ES5 (yes, a different level altogether and not a fair comparison) and I just got done with an extended trial of the Beyer T5p (yes, different level, too), and both of those have awesome clarity and detail, even straight from an iPhone.  The ES5's treble (very detailed, but quite recessed) is not as nice as the Momentums, and the T5p's bass is not as nice without amping (some would argue even with...), so that's why I kept the Momentum.  It's warmer and more bass emphasized, but I think that comes at the expense of clarity, and I'd be thrilled if Sennheiser came out with a model of the Momentum that was tuned more for detail and clarity, and less bass.  On the other hand, at low volumes, the additional bass adds fullness to sound that made them more enjoyable than the T5p. 

I'm new to headphones, and many have commented that there is no perfect headphone, and I'm beginning to see that may be the case.

Nov 22, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #769 of 3,594
Quote:
I'm new to headphones, and many have commented that there is no perfect headphone, and I'm beginning to see that may be the case.

Personally the Momentum is my perfect outdoor headphone. It ticks all of my boxes. 
All I can say is, don't give up; there's ALWAYS one more headphone to try out 
ksc75smile.gif

I was listening to the Sony MDR-1R again today, and that would EASILY be my 2nd choice, but I'm a sucker for brown leather. It is also a little more 'trebly' than the Momentum so it could be closer to YOUR perfect headphone. Anyone looking for a closed headphone in this price range should absolutely try it out - the sound quality and timbre is so close it's almost the same, but the Sony has more 'sparkle' and the Momentum is more 'easy listening/relaxed' in treble. I think they're also the two best looking headphones on sale today, so I felt absolutely spoiled for choice. 

Nov 23, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #772 of 3,594
Interesting comments about the MDR-1R and the Momentum. I had the 1R until I made the mistake of returning them for NC model which turned out to be a major mistake. So I returned the NC's today and had a chance to get the Momentum for a very good price and decided to take a chance on them. I find both headphones to be similar but different in key ways such as the Momentum being warmer and a bit more laid back. The 1R has slightly deeper bass but slightly less mid bass and a bit brighter upper mids.

The 1R is more comfortable but I find the Momentum to be very comfortable even though they are mostly on ear for me. I think the Momentum has a bit more isolation though and I find the overall build of the Momentum to be better and more portable. The cable is also more supple which is important where I live because of the cold which caused the 1R's cable to get very stiff.

I may decide to go back to the 1R in the end but I like them both. I will see how feel about the Momentum after a few days of use.

Nov 23, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #773 of 3,594
Quote:
Heres the pad and headphone. It seems that rubber lining thats supposed to go in the crack around the edges got best a little so it's hard to put back in. Any tips?

well although it can be tricky it is definitely possible to put them back on,
i tried it with my HD202 (though not a momentum,but it is similar in shape and basic construction concepts)
and i managed to do it in 5 minutes (still quite troublesome and long compared to the HD558's 5 seconds)
the technique here is to insert it bit by bit,working your way around the earcup while holding the rest of the inserted parts with your other hand so it doesn't come back out
hold the inner lining and try to allign it with the crack and then put it in, after you have done the first part,(i advice you to start at the sides, since the flatter shape makes easier than the top/bottom) hold that part down with the other hand (basicalliy the one holding the headphones in place)
then pull the surrounding parts of the inner lining and place them in the crack, keep doing this until you reach the last part,
the last part is probably either the top or the bottom since it requires the most stretching. do stretch it so it fits push the inner lining from under/inside the earpad and slowly work at in until it is all in. [i wanted to post pictures but my camera happened to have failed on me 
frown.gif
 ]

hope this helps^^

Nov 23, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #774 of 3,594
Quote:
brown leather =)

=)  

Unfortunately I just can't stand silver coloured plastic, it just looks cheap to me, like most mobile phones from around 10 years ago. Or like when around 2002-2003, EVERY car was silver, because it was 'new'... and now it just looks cheap.
If it was brushed aluminium I probably would have been all over it like a rash.

Nov 23, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #776 of 3,594
Quote:
The ends of the rubber part are bent a little so they don't seem to go in like at all.

what do you mean by bent? as in in an oval shape? or bent inwards?

Nov 23, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #777 of 3,594
Quote:
Interesting comments about the MDR-1R and the Momentum. I had the 1R until I made the mistake of returning them for NC model which turned out to be a major mistake. So I returned the NC's today and had a chance to get the Momentum for a very good price and decided to take a chance on them. I find both headphones to be similar but different in key ways such as the Momentum being warmer and a bit more laid back. The 1R has slightly deeper bass but slightly less mid bass and a bit brighter upper mids.
The 1R is more comfortable but I find the Momentum to be very comfortable even though they are mostly on ear for me. I think the Momentum has a bit more isolation though and I find the overall build of the Momentum to be better and more portable. The cable is also more supple which is important where I live because of the cold which caused the 1R's cable to get very stiff.
I may decide to go back to the 1R in the end but I like them both. I will see how feel about the Momentum after a few days of use.

I wear glasses, and the nice thing about the Momentum is that the earpieces are small, and so long as they work for you (and you wear glasses), they exert pressure on the arms of the glasses pretty close to your ear, where it really doesn't make a difference.  You can tell that they are putting a little pressure on your glasses, but not much.  I spent a lot of time with the Beyer T5p, which also is reputed to be very comfortable.  It is (but quite a bit heavier), but the larger ear cups mean that they are exerting pressure further up the arms of your glasses, where it's much more noticeable. So that's a real plus for the Momentum.

Nov 23, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #778 of 3,594
Oh never mind I got it, now there is wind noise though. I hope putting them back on wrong won't effect sound quality in terms of bass leakage and such because it means there is a hole or opening somewhere I think. :/

Nov 24, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #780 of 3,594
Finally today I can get proper listening time to this Momentum, what I get for now:
- The build quality is good enough, and it's also very comfortable to wear compare to many other portable headphone out there.
- The sound character is really reminds me of HD650, though not exactly the same. Actually I still can describe the sound with the same words as describe HD650: Warm, laidback, smooth. (But Momentum has cleaner presentation!)

- I think I like Momentum the most for songs like pop, jazz, vocal. Basically medium to slow pace songs.
- This headphone is really relax and musical, analytical listener can get better choice out there.
- I will choose this baby over ATH ES10 anyday.
- This Senn isn't really need amp to shine, but when I tried to using some amps, it's still sensitive enough to easily take the different between all amps I've tried with them.
- At first, I think due the laidback and smooth signature will make this headphone has slow pace. But when I tried with Burson, it's just show me that I'm wrong.
- Can't wait to do A/Bing with Sony 1R, hopefully I can do this next month if I were not too busy.

I think that's all for now, still enjoying much listening this baby!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back