Sennheiser Momentum M2
Jul 24, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #92 of 100
Hello guys!

I'm thinking about buying M2 as an upgrade for HD555. I have my HD's for quite some time, in fact about 5 years. They are great sounding headphones, still working. Although I need some revolution instead of evolution. Normal evolution for these will be HD600 or HD650 – but I'm looking for some sort of change. I feel HD555 are good for "natural" music with real instruments, but I listen electronic music a lot. I thought M2 due to their closed construction can be better. HD600 are roughly same priced, so I'm considering them too – will they sound much different than HD555?

I'm amping my pair with FiiO e07k, which is enough when it comes to loudness. 

The questions is – should I get M2 or HD600 when I want complete change? Will FiiO e07k amp M2/HD600?

Jul 27, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #93 of 100
You should have read up on impressions of the HD600 - better suited to "natural" music with acoustic instruments like HD555, only more hi-fi.  For electronic, I recommend HD380pro or HD25-1 II, as far as Sennheiser.  E07k is not suitable to HD600 and HD650, by the way.  You want a desktop amplifier for those costing you about as much as the headphones themselves.  Also, look up Ultrasones within your budget, read up on the JVC SZ2000, Audio-technica headphones, Sony headphones, and DT770pro 80ohm to see what you might like best.  If you want something small and portable, then the M2 might do, though do give HD25 a try sometime, if possible.

Jul 27, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #94 of 100
I don't have that much time tbh. Looking up for prefect set of cans can be painful. I need one solid recommendation "get those, they will be good". Thanks for your answer, much appreciated. I know that HD600 are not for me.

If you have some time, you can look this up. http://www.head-fi.org/t/815458/upgrade-over-hd555-something-else-need-change#post_12751462

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #95 of 100
I don't have that much time tbh. Looking up for prefect set of cans can be painful. I need one solid recommendation "get those, they will be good". Thanks for your answer, much appreciated. I know that HD600 are not for me.

If you have some time, you can look this up. http://www.head-fi.org/t/815458/upgrade-over-hd555-something-else-need-change#post_12751462

I'm not a hard reviewer or anything. But I've had my share of experiences with high end headphones. I owned the original momentums, I felt they were very good headphones, but in the end I wanted open headphones at that time.

Since then I've sold all my open headphones, and I now own the M2 wireless and Fostex TH-900. The Fostex has sort of ruined all cheap headphones for me. I was in for a new portable pair since my girlfriend jacked my sony's, so I tried a decent amount of low end say ~$100 ish headphones. I saw that the momentum came in a wireless version so in the end I decided to buy from best buy due to their easy return policy if I didn't like. 

I believe that the M2 is the best bluetooth headphone in existence. If you're coming from any sennheiser hd 5xx I think you'll notice a healthy low end that's less defined due to it's extension and fullness, none of that tinny stuff, and not unbalanced in a way that ruins the headphone. It's a good thing. I'm not talking overbearing bass, or muddy bass, the headphones are well balanced. For some people, they prefer the other way, as it works for them for acoustic / jazz / classical. Some (I can't say how many, just some that I've talked to) of those people just don't like bass period.

With the M2 I feel it can play all types of music just as well, it's just that people who prefer to listen to ONLY those genres are more in for that older,  open sennheiser signature.

If you're looking for something different from the 555, this will be different. I think compared to open headphones, once again generalizing, closed headphones have a unique thing going with their sound stage, especially when music is panned fully to the left and right and there's a lot going on, the m2 is really great when that's happening (something that is mostly unique to electronic music).

Going off memory, I might most most closely compare them to the Paradox or original Mr. Speakers mod. The difference being mostly in the sound signature, but keeping the other attributes like staging and separation, with very good, but not quite as good accuracy, with M2 wired being of the better value. Those others are more like studio monitors, which IMO are not good for music listening, but great in the studio (which is why I don't like the senn 5 series either).

I agree that looking for a 'perfect headphone' is awful unless you're a person who's just on that quest for your own personal reason. I can respect that for sure. I just want to listen to music man.

Would I recommend the M2 for you? Absolutely, like many on here it's a very good headphone

Is it the kind of difference you are looking for? Most likely.

I would recommend even the overpriced wireless, that's how good of a time I have with it. I don't listen to dubstep or super heavy music though, so I can't give you an opinion there if that's what you listen to. But anything less intense, I've enjoyed it. I haven't once felt like I wanted to send them back. They're very good for me personally.

Jul 28, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #96 of 100
Thank you so much for putting so much effort in writing all this. Highly appreciated!

I found 2nd hand Momentum M2 for almost half price. They seem to be original (as a seller mentioned, that he can even give proof of that). I may just get them. I'm not any close to drop HD555 – they are great for me, for few types of music.

As much as I wish to get wireless I'd stick with cheap 2ND hand option. 

Thanks so much again!

Jul 28, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #97 of 100
  Thank you so much for putting so much effort in writing all this. Highly appreciated!

I found 2nd hand Momentum M2 for almost half price. They seem to be original (as a seller mentioned, that he can even give proof of that). I may just get them. I'm not any close to drop HD555 – they are great for me, for few types of music.

As much as I wish to get wireless I'd stick with cheap 2ND hand option. 

Thanks so much again!

No Worries, Happy Listening 
L3000.gif

Jul 28, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #98 of 100

... healthy low end that's less defined due to it's extension and fullness...

These factors are unrelated with respect to each other.

Jul 28, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #99 of 100

These factors are unrelated with respect to each other.

Yeah misspoken by me whoops, hopefully the message got across

Oct 30, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #100 of 100
I've got the wired M2s to complement my HD 555s, I'm completely satisfied. Very comfy and great sounding, biggest plus is the perfect bass, which isn't the usual overbearing unbearable boosted bass that's in most semi portable headphones nowadays. I've compared them to the VMOD Crossfade Wireless, Bose QC25 35 and some akgs, but this one was the best sounding, kind of replaced my HD555s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back