Sennheiser Momentum iPhone cord sound quality
Jan 2, 2013 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

dlami130

New Head-Fier
Does anyone have issues with the Momentum's iPhone remote headphone cord? There is a dramatic drop in sound quality using this cord over the cord without the iPhone remote. 

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 21
Yes and I've called Sennheiser UK today to ask about it...awaiting a reply. I've seen a couple of posts regarding this and as I've only ever tried the mic cable, I plugged in the non mic cable today to try it and there is a big difference in SPL as well as SQ.

Jan 4, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #5 of 21
Any cable with a volume control and/or microphone built In would sound worse than the same cable alone, IMO.

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #7 of 21
No, hence the IMO disclaimer. Its just common sense that if you put a volume control and microphone in the signal path it will degrade the signal. One is bad enough but both is a sure compromise.

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #8 of 21
Well I can say that the Amperior's cable has both a mic & volume control with a different design of cable and it seems fine. The difference between the two on the Momentum's is not a subtle or minimal one - as the original poster states - it's dramatic, as in a huge difference.

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #10 of 21
Has anyone tried the cable plugged into something (like port amp) that doesnt take advantage of the mic/volume rocker? Curious if it would sound the same. Tonight i'll try with both, plugged into my FIIO E17.

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #14 of 21
I couldn't hear any difference with mine.

The remote/mic seem quite useless to me though, so I just use the cable without anyway. 

Edit: To clarify my source for portable is a galaxy S3

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #15 of 21
FWIW I have an older shuffle... the little turd with no buttons on the thing.  I won it in a raffle so I didn't pay for the stupid thing.  When the stock iPuke buds bit the dust (which didn't take long btw).  I bought a little adapter cable with the buttons on the wire.  It noticeably degrades the sound quality as compared to directly plugging into the turd with no adapter (and no button control).  It was a cheap generic 3rd party adapter though, not anything auth'd by apple... FWIW.  I probably should have bought one from scoche or a more reputable company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back