Sennheiser Momentum impressions thread
Jun 4, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #753 of 931
So I just got my pair of replacement Momentums direct from Sennheiser; The left driver started to badly distort after a long, bitterly cold Canadian winter day of being out and about. Seeing how Berlin lays on the same parallel as Edmonton, you would think Sennheiser would take -35'C and windchill into account. Anyway now I have the joy of breaking in a new pair.

If my Momentums were a fighter jet I would have enough flight hours to qualify for the astronaut program. Having a brand new pair I can now fully understand many new user's first impressions. When I originally bought the Momentums I was also burning in both the On-ear and HD598 so I couldn't fully gauge (direct my attention to just one) just how much change there was. Here are my new first impressions after losing my 'Momentum' for a couple of weeks.

1) Ear-pads and headband are rather stiff. I can see how for some it might cause pain or discomfort. Rest assured the Momentums will loosen up to the point the pads are butter soft and the band becomes invisible.

2) Stinky new headphone smell. Yup, they stink like a warehouse and not like a new leather jacket. Anyone who purchased a pair from sites like Amazon and they have a stinky smell, mine from Sennheiser direct have it too.

3) BASS! Yes, after some burn-in the bass does get tamed. New out of the box the sound is a thick as fudge, after burn-in the Momentums sound like milk chocolate.

4) Soundstage (due to original thick sound) seems closed in. After burn-in it really does open up.

Edit: 5) The non-iDevice cable (the straight one) is twice as long as my previous one!

To finish I just want to say a big thanks to Sennheiser Canada. Their service was above and beyond what was expected. As well, I still reckon you simply can't get a more complete sound out of a pair of on-the-go headphones such as the Momentum. Being without my babies made me appreciate their sound even more.

beerchug.gif

Jun 23, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #754 of 931
I am an Audio Enthusiast who is pretty much addicted to music, i listen to music A LOT on-the-go but unfortunately never had a decent pair of headphones, had A LOT but never a good awesome one, recently ive had a some of money almost 250$ but lets say 200$ for now and am interested in buying a pair of headphones, a fter a lot of hours on youtube, amazon and reading reviews i'm torn between the Sennheiser's Momentum ( Over the ear) , the AKG K545 even the sennheiser HD8 Dj ( i know it's a bit pricier and unlike the previous two), Audio Technica's ATH M50x, Sony MDR-1R,Sennheiser HD 598,Philips Fidelio X1 and the Sennheiser HD598 
I know hey are all different in one way or another , i do not have any specific preferences music genre wise, i just want a pair that has an awesome performance and delivers the best music experience, i want to feel the music , get goosebumps you know :)

Note: i am also planning on buy the Fiio X1 Player
any additional suggestions are welcome

thank you all in advance

Jun 23, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #755 of 931
on-the-go --> you need a closed headphone : Sony MDR-1R, Sennheiser Momentum, Audio Technica M50x

I often use my Momentum (V1)on-the-go, it really works well. The isolation is quite good, and it's also comfortable. The comfort also depends on your ear size : the Momentum V1 is small for a "full size" (circum) headphone. The Momentum V2 costs more , but in a same time much more comfortable due to its more appropriate size

If you have big ears, I recommend you the V2. My ears are just a bit under the average size, and I feel that the space inside the cans is limited into the Momentum V1.

Last point : there are no differents in sound between the two versions 

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #756 of 931
on-the-go --> you need a closed headphone : Sony MDR-1R, Sennheiser Momentum, Audio Technica M50x

I often use my Momentum (V1)on-the-go, it really works well. The isolation is quite good, and it's also comfortable. The comfort also depends on your ear size : the Momentum V1 is small for a "full size" (circum) headphone. The Momentum V2 costs more , but in a same time much more comfortable due to its more appropriate size

If you have big ears, I recommend you the V2. My ears are just a bit under the average size, and I feel that the space inside the cans is limited into the Momentum V1.

Last point : there are no differents in sound between the two versions 

I wouldnt go that far to say that the two versions of the momentums sound the same. The m2 is significantly larger. That changes the acoustic properties as well. The comfort as well. Also the akg545 is good consideration as well, nice open sound without going into open headphones. I quite like it when i heard it.

Jun 23, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #757 of 931
first of all thank you for replying
secondly, i listen to all genres , excluding metal though and i tend to listen mostly to acoustic covers of songs and slow vocal oriented songs and the occasional up-beat song every now and then , does that help? 

Jun 23, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #758 of 931
... I'm also planning on buy the Fiio X1 player
any additional suggestions are welcome

thank you all in advance

If you want it for indoor use (home, work)only, go for the Fidelio X2. If you're planning to use your headphones on the go as well, you will love the Momentum. I'd recommend Gen 1 (has two cables, cool looking case) unless you have big ears, in that case, I suggest you to purchase Gen 2.

Edit: I just found out I misread your post. I thought you said "Fidelio X1" instead of "Fiio X1". I guess my entire post makes no sense at all then. Well, my bad.

Jun 24, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #759 of 931
Bought these used from Amazon for under 110, are there any good replacement earpads for these?

I figured out why these were being sold as "like new" by the seller. The earpads are mismatched in size, its like the left earpad is deformed.

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #761 of 931
Please tell me, whether the Momentum is something for my taste or not: I love the sound of the HD558 and CAL! But want to have something stylish.
The Momentum On Ear was just awful, I returned it after 3 days of trying to get used to the sound :frowning2:

Jul 27, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #762 of 931
Please tell me, whether the Momentum is something for my taste or not: I love the sound of the HD558 and CAL! But want to have something stylish.
The Momentum On Ear was just awful, I returned it after 3 days of trying to get used to the sound
frown.gif

I used the Momentum as my closed HP with the HD558 as open worked well for me. Now I use with HD600. But only you can judge it for yourself.

Jul 27, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #763 of 931
The Momentum On Ear was just awful, I returned it after 3 days of trying to get used to the sound :frowning2:

The Over the ear version has a more refined and balanced sound signature (and, IMHO, looks better and is more comfortable), as a closed headphone is an excellent complement to open Senn's.

Go ahead, I totally recommend the Momentums.

Jul 31, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #764 of 931
I got a chance to demo these in a store the other day.  Unless the pair I tried is a dud, or these somehow don't pair well with my Fiio X3ii (which seems silly and impossible), then I find the sound on the Momentums to be a SUPREME disappointment.  Sure, there's good detail and the frequency-response, if anything, is decent, but the soundstage sounds SO closed-in, even compared to other closed-back headphones, and the dynamics sound super-duper artificial to me.  Ugh.  Not to mention the fact that I think the guys at Sennheiser were tripping on acid or something and thought they were designing headphones for people from the Shire in Middle Earth, i.e. Hobbits with teeny-tiny ears.

I MUCH prefer the sound and build of my lovely V-Moda M-80s :)

Jul 31, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #765 of 931
  I got a chance to demo these in a store the other day.  Unless the pair I tried is a dud, or these somehow don't pair well with my Fiio X3ii (which seems silly and impossible), then I find the sound on the Momentums to be a SUPREME disappointment.  Sure, there's good detail and the frequency-response, if anything, is decent, but the soundstage sounds SO closed-in, even compared to other closed-back headphones, and the dynamics sound super-duper artificial to me.  Ugh.  Not to mention the fact that I think the guys at Sennheiser were tripping on acid or something and thought they were designing headphones for people from the Shire in Middle Earth, i.e. Hobbits with teeny-tiny ears.

I MUCH prefer the sound and build of my lovely V-Moda M-80s :)

So how long did you actually listen to the momentums? and you're comparing them to your M80's which you've had for how long?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back