Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless - The Official Thread
Feb 22, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #512 of 657
I think the m3 is underrated in the audiophile world. Maybe because it's more of a mass market consumer product. Foremost a wireless BT headphone. And that there is not much point in plugging it into expensive amp/dac stacks. But besides all the features it is well built, comfortable and damn fine sounding closed back with excellent balanced sound (once switched to the high-end sound tuning). It's not boring, nor too agressive sounding and has decent resolution.

Mar 4, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #513 of 657
I have a new set of Momentum 3's, one of the first things I did was to try a firmware update... But it is stuck on 3.1.6...

I've tried a factory reset, turning on and off headphones and phone, unpairing, reinstalling app etc... Is there a way to force an update?

Even within the app I'm told to pair with Alexa, but no option for Google Assistant. Also, phone calls don't work through the headphones...

Any help much appreciated!
Same problem here. I'm currently in contact with Sennheiser support and chances are that they will initiate a full replacement under warranty (bought them last weekend). Seems a bit ludicrous to me for a software issue, but I don't know the details of what's causing this problem in the first place.

Hi! I started to reconsider getting a pair of M3's, and went through a number of reviews online. I thought I saw an image or a clip of the Momentums on the Smart Control app and there an option "connections". However, I searched online, but don't seem to find any indication of the option to control or change connected devices on the app (like you can with Bose 700, Sony wh-1000XM4's and B&W PX7s).

Can anyone confirm weather that is possible or not? Appreciated.
This is a feature that was added with the firmware version 4.0, as far as I know. If you have the problem from above, you won't see the connection manager and if you can update your MW3s to the current 4.0.8 firmware, you'll be able to manage device connections from the Smart Control app.

Mar 10, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #514 of 657
Man, I really wanted to like the M3s, but ended up returning them. I bought the Bose 700s (super comfortable, but muddy sound) and Sony XM4s (ear cups too shallow, bass pressure uncomfortable) but returned them both. I also bought the SA50s, and their sound is next level in terms of detail and clarity, but the cups need wider holes and they lack some features of the others, like smart pause and folding hinges. I found the M3s the best balanced in terms of sound (almost as good as SA50s), comfort and features, EXCEPT for the super uncomfortable headband. I even bought several different wraps/covers but none really helped, and I believe that in addition to the overly hard padding, its mostly due to the low tension in the band - i.e. the ear cups dont press hard enough on the ears so that the headband pushes down on the head. I opened the band up as much as possible and I could feel the ear cups sliding (the same didn't happen when I did the same with the SA50s). And I have a 7 7/8 head size, so have to imagine its worse for smaller heads. So that's an unfortunate design flaw that is alone responsible for me returning the cans. At the end of the day, I'm super happy with the SA50s except for the ear cup design, but I've ordered the Dekoni velour ones and hope they are more comfortable.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #515 of 657
Man, I really wanted to like the M3s, but ended up returning them. I bought the Bose 700s (super comfortable, but muddy sound) and Sony XM4s (ear cups too shallow, bass pressure uncomfortable) but returned them both. I also bought the SA50s, and their sound is next level in terms of detail and clarity, but the cups need wider holes and they lack some features of the others, like smart pause and folding hinges. I found the M3s the best balanced in terms of sound (almost as good as SA50s), comfort and features, EXCEPT for the super uncomfortable headband. I even bought several different wraps/covers but none really helped, and I believe that in addition to the overly hard padding, its mostly due to the low tension in the band - i.e. the ear cups dont press hard enough on the ears so that the headband pushes down on the head. I opened the band up as much as possible and I could feel the ear cups sliding (the same didn't happen when I did the same with the SA50s). And I have a 7 7/8 head size, so have to imagine its worse for smaller heads. So that's an unfortunate design flaw that is alone responsible for me returning the cans. At the end of the day, I'm super happy with the SA50s except for the ear cup design, but I've ordered the Dekoni velour ones and hope they are more comfortable.

That's a very subjective matter.

For instance, I've owned both Momentum 2 and 3 and with neither of them I had the slightest problem with the head band.
I guess there are some people which are more sensitive at the top of their head.

I initially thought it could be because of the amount of hair, but I felt the exact same comfort even when I wore them after during the first COVID lockdown months where I clean shaved my head.

By the way I, too, loved the sound of the M3.

But I just couldn't stand their build quality (much worse than that of the M2 and B&O headphones), short battery life and extremely clunky controls ( + power on/off method). These things were all a huge deal breaker for me, despite the sound signature I loved.

Mar 24, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #516 of 657
Hello,

I am interested in the M3 and I have got some questions. Maybe you can help me:

- A better Bluetooth - headphone could be the Hifiman Ananda, but the M3 should be the best ANC-headphone. Is that right?
- Is there a delay with a TV (Panasonic) without AptxLL for movies. Would you use it for watching tv?
- Do you know if there is the possibility to change the battery pack?
- Is the sound difference between wired and bluetooth the same as between 320 kbit/s and loseless (which i can't hear) or can't you compare that?
- Would you buy it for using it at home if you had very good wired headphones or not? The advantage could be to feel more free and you can use it in more situations (for instance while moving yourself). Or would you always use a wired headphone if there is one in the same room?
- Is it good for rock / metal? Is the sound like the HD25 which seems to be very good for rock & metal?
- Is the software still buggy?

That's it for the moment :wink:.

Mar 25, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #517 of 657
Hello,

I am interested in the M3 and I have got some questions. Maybe you can help me:

- A better Bluetooth - headphone could be the Hifiman Ananda, but the M3 should be the best ANC-headphone. Is that right?
- Is there a delay with a TV (Panasonic) without AptxLL for movies. Would you use it for watching tv?
- Do you know if there is the possibility to change the battery pack?
- Is the sound difference between wired and bluetooth the same as between 320 kbit/s and loseless (which i can't hear) or can't you compare that?
- Would you buy it for using it at home if you had very good wired headphones or not? The advantage could be to feel more free and you can use it in more situations (for instance while moving yourself). Or would you always use a wired headphone if there is one in the same room?
- Is it good for rock / metal? Is the sound like the HD25 which seems to be very good for rock & metal?
- Is the software still buggy?

That's it for the moment :wink:.

I'd say wait for the Momentum 4.

- Uhm no, the M3 are very good indeed, but I wouldn't call them the best, especially in terms of ANC.
- We can't know, there are too many factors. Worst case scenario, you can buy a very cheap aptX Low Latency transmitter to use instead of using your TV built-in Bluetooth
- The battery is not serviceable
- No, it's less of a different in terms of "resolution" and more in terms of signature. Still, if you plan to use them mostly wired, buy something else.
- I would still definitely buy it for a home use instead of using wired headphones, the convenience of Bluetooth is just too high. I would only use dedicated wired headphones in some specific moments where I only listen to music ad do nothing else.
- I don't listen to much rock/metal, but I would say it is. If it's not, you can customise the sound with the EQ in the app.
- It's not the best software (Bose, B&O, Jabra, Sony, have software that's much much better), but it works pretty much bug-free in my experience.

Cons of M3W:
- Build quality not as good as competitors or as M2W
- Hideous control and power on/off system
- Prone to ANC failure
- Sennheiser warranty/RMA is a complete joke (experiencing it now due to damage in ANC)

I would suggest you to wait unless you find them at bargain prices, the Momentum 4 Wireless are probably coming out within the next 6 months.

Mar 27, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #518 of 657
Thank you very much. This helped me a lot. I hope it is o.k. if I ask you something more. But they are a bit specific.

- I think the M3 could be the anc-overtheear-headphones with the best sound quality. 199 € from Sennheisers outled is fair enough? I think "yes".
- Do you think AptxLL is necessary for watching TV? To be sure that there is no delay?
- Is it good to connect the Sennheiser BT T100 with the headphone output from the TV for using the M3 for watching TV?
- Is it a big problem to use the M3 alternately with the BT T100 & Iphone?
- With the Iphone the volume setting from the phone & the M3 is the same. But what's with the TV? What is better? To put the M3 or the headphone output from the TV on 100 % and to change with the remote or the button on the M3?

Actually I listen with wired models. The problem is that a lot of electronic is necessary: Apple TV, TV, DAC, Headphone Amplifier. I think i should try the M3 because of the convenience.

Mar 27, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #519 of 657
Yes 199€ is a good price and I'd say they're worth it.

That depends on your TV. I'd say you can just try them as they are, connected directly to your TV, and if the delay bothers you then you can purchase an aptX LL transmitter.
Yes, Sennheiser BT T100 should work fairly well. Bear in mind there are a lot of less expensive options on Amazon that just work as well.

No, it's okay as they support Multipoint Bluetooth, you should have no issues with using them connected to iPhone and a Bluetooth transmitter simultaneously.

With the transmitter, set the volume of the TV at 80% and then use the volume controls of the headphones to fine adjust the sound. If you use the TOSLInk connection, the TV probably doesn't even let you adjust the volume and will default at max volume - in that case, just use the controls on the headphones.

Mar 30, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #520 of 657
Has anyone updated the Sennheiser smart control app, for android, to the latest version 4.0.0? I can't find where the firmware of the headphones is indicated. On previous versions it was possible to see which firmware was installed. Thank you.

Apr 6, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #522 of 657
In a few days 2 more App updates. From 4.0.0 we are now at 4.0.2. I still can't find the headset frimware, but they finally fixed a bug introduced with an update some time ago ... Bug that wasn't present before that update. In this post the description:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sen...less-the-official-thread.915012/post-16321951

Thanks Sennheiser, it took some time but you solved a very annoying problem

PS now pairing is immediate, with all devices, even without manually connecting with the mobile phone first

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #523 of 657
yet another update, we are now at 4.0.3
What’s new in Sennheiser Smart Control 4.0.3:
- Fixed crash at startup (that I didn't have)
- Performance optimization and bugfixes

Apr 12, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #524 of 657
yet another update, we are now at 4.0.3
What’s new in Sennheiser Smart Control 4.0.3:
- Fixed crash at startup (that I didn't have)
- Performance optimization and bugfixes
I just got the Sennheiser momentum 3 and wanted to check the firmware, but even on smart control 4.03 i cannot even see the firmware version I have not able to update it. seems like i was a month too late, hope they will fix the Smart Control or do you guys think they disabled firmware update on purpose due to many problems in updating the Sennheiser momentum 3 (thats the impression i get after reading this thread)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back