Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless - The Official Thread
Oct 10, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #483 of 657
Charging is curious. It looks like the supplied USB-C cable has to be used.

While I had a pair of Momentum 3, I was able to charge them with two different non-Sennheiser USB-C cables.

But I've read from several reviewers that charging doesn't work with some cables.

Oct 22, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #486 of 657
It adds a more balanced equalization with less bass that cannot be edited when enabled.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211022-202808_Smart Control.jpg
    Screenshot_20211022-202808_Smart Control.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20211022-202803_Smart Control.jpg
    Screenshot_20211022-202803_Smart Control.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 0
Oct 22, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #488 of 657
They should lift the mids and dial down both the low bass and treble. And add a bit of mid bass and body to the vocals. In other words make it sound more like M2. That was the house sound not this extreme V-shape.

Oct 22, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #489 of 657
They should lift the mids and dial down both the low bass and treble. And add a bit of mid bass and body to the vocals. In other words make it sound more like M2. That was the house sound not this extreme V-shape.

Oh I absolutely *hated* the M2AEBT sound, and I actually find the "stock" sound of the Momentum 3 to be much better (and very close to a slightly tweaked sound of the B&O H9 3rd Gen) lol.

I found the Momentum 2 Wireless to be too bassy, warm and "boxy" for my tastes.

Oct 22, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #490 of 657
Agree with "boxy" but punch-bassy and warm (M2) I like better than low-bassy but empty in the middle and acid/grainy in the highs (M3). To each his own :) Didn't listen to the wireless M2 tho, I have the wired one.

Dec 13, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #493 of 657
Yeah. As I read reviews, a lot of them said the ANC on the A50 was supposed to be way up there with the Bose and Sony, but in my apartment, I found it not to be as good as the M3. Maybe it's a frequency of the fans (as in, maybe the M3 does better blocking higher frequencies than the A50, but the A50 is better at lower frequencies which is more typical of public transport and airplanes?) Totaly guess and shot in the dark, but for my purposes, M3 seems better at ANC. I'M AN IDIOT!!!! I tried it again, and realized that I had the A50s in passive mode when testing fans. Cause on the A50, the switch in the center is passive mode, and the M3, the switch in the center is ANC. so when I stopped being dumb and actually put the A50 in ANC mode, it worked MUCH better and DID block noise more than the M3. Still a faint hiss, but DEFINITELY blocked noise better.

As per the 'reference' sound, even the IDEA of reference I think is kinda fluid. For example, I own a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 pros, which I absolutely LOVE. You look at some reviews, and they're classified as great 'reference' headphones. And other websites call them V-shaped and "fun" with a lot of clarity. All I know is, I can hear a lot things happening in the music with them, and they make me happy. I'm also always concerned (in the back of my head) about how music and movies and games are mastered nowadays. Are they mastered on reference quality equipment with the EXPECTATION that people will use bass boosting headphones or systems to play them? So do they tweak them for a beats or ATH M50x headphone since that's what the market has? Are they USING M50X or DT 990s to tweak and master their music and therefore they're reference recording doesn't sound as they intended on a "truer" reference headphone? These are the questions that keep me up (a little bit) at night (unless I'm REALLY tired)....
Thanks! Just tried to put forward one average dude's impressions!
1. ANC addressed above, but just in my apartment, I felt like the M3 blocked more noise. Could be any sort of thing. Maybe the frequencies in my fans are blocked better in the M3, or maybe something like the passive noise canceling (seal around my ears) is better with the M3. Just my experience. I'm a moron. I tested it again CORRECTLY, and yes, the A50 blocks noise better.

2. I also felt like the bass was a little more with the ANC on, but there was also a VERY slight recess of some other instruments. I listened to a track called "Caribe" (it's a big band chart) and has every instrument playing some awesome lines, headed by the screeching trumpets and chordal hits in the beginning. With ANC on, the chords seemed SLIGHT more out of balance than with the ANC off. For the record, on the M3, the beginning definitely emphasized the bass guitar and bass drum (they're heavier on the base it seems like), but it was not to the point of overpowering the rest of the chords, and the chords seemed well balanced above the sustained bass tone.

3. 100% agree!!! I rarely (if ever) use an EQ, but you're right. The EQ in the SA50 is MUCH better implemented than the M3 or the B&O apps (I also have owned an H9i in the past). Moving a dot around looks cool, but it's so much harder to figure out what the hell is happening, ESPECIALLY if you KNOW the frequencies you're trying to reduce or boost. I will say though, the ability to have an EQ be persistant across devices because it's saved to the headphones is a BIG plus for the M3. A pain in the ass to find your desired EQ, but once you set it, it's applied EVERYWHERE, whether you're connectred to your phone or not.

4. Not an issue for me. But each headphone has features that are more important to one person than another.

5. I would say that almost everyone will EVENTUALLY build muscle memory to their specific headphones. My advice, is don't let this be a big deal in the future. EVENTUALLY, you'll adjust.
This is the dilemma. My thoughts on the sound for the most part mirror yours. The chamber music I listened to was absolutely more balanced with the Shure A50. And you're right, the volume didn't raise anything specific to "pain" level. I would be happy with either. But for me, using for movies and gaming, the increase in soundstage was nice and it makes me enjoy the TV more. I personally would NOT consider the M3 a 'reference' headphone, cause I do feel the bass gets more emphasis. But for me, the increase in bass helped me feel immersed in movies and TV shows (my main reason for owning headphones), and didn't hurt music enough for me to regret it. Chamber and classical music to me on the M3 still sounds good, although I can tell the bass is increased a bit and I'm SURE that's not how it sounded if you were in person.

But to reiterate, angolem, I agree. If you're listening to classical music or something you KNOW was perfectly blended in a live situation recorded well, the A50 will be more accurate to the that performance than the M3. The M3 doesn't make it bad, but it won't be how it sounded if you were there. When it comes to mastered music, then who knows what the hell the intent was. Certainly not me.

Alexi

Re: The M3 vs A50 ANC, are you sure the A50 is better? I just watched this ANC comparison and the M3 seems significantly better, especially in the 'loud cafe' scenario with voices.

I'm still deciding between the two models. The M3 sounds better to me, much closer to my M40x which I really like. But where I am, the A50 is half the price. I'm counting on being able to EQ in the bass response that I find lacking on them.

Dec 14, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #494 of 657
Agree with "boxy" but punch-bassy and warm (M2) I like better than low-bassy but empty in the middle and acid/grainy in the highs (M3). To each his own :) Didn't listen to the wireless M2 tho, I have the wired one.
I just got the wired M2 from cex for £34 (!!) and they sound seriously good. Like making me question my Focal Elegia good lolol.

Dec 14, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #495 of 657
I just got the wired M2 from cex for £34 (!!) and they sound seriously good. Like making me question my Focal Elegia good lolol.

Yeah, they sell for nothing now... I sold my M2 for the equivalent of £57 a few weeks ago, because I had to get rid of some of my headphones, and I felt kinda sad that I had to let them go for that kind of money, when I paid £190 four years ago... I liked that headphones and used them a lot outside, but now the PX7 replaced them. I wanted to like the M3, but they're just not my cup of tea. Before the PX7 I had the XM4, but returned because they creak a lot..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back