Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless - The Official Thread
Jun 26, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #451 of 657
My Sennheiser Momentum 3 issues are provisionally resolved, as I finally decided to return mine, because of a small channel imbalance (left channel is louder). It's not unbearable, but I don't think I could live with that, considering it's a premium product.

What I liked about them:
- The sound is ok (but not nearly as good as my wired headphones)
- They are very comfortable (but the earcups could be a bit wider for me, requiring less adjustments to make them fit)
- Noise cancelling works great (in max setting) and doesn't alter the sound

What I didn't like:
- the stupid bass bump (but with -3dB in the app equalizer it was fine)
- connectivity issues:
.AptX LL crackling with Avantree devices
.when connected to the PC for music listening and the smartphone, unlocking the phone (which generates a little tick sound) would move the sound source to the phone
- the Sennheiser app is very basic and it takes some time to reconnect to the phone
- battery duration is shorter than the competition
- the control buttons on the headphones are difficult to distinguish. They should be more seperated

I will certainly buy other bluetooth over ear headphones (because I'm now hooked on having a noise cancelling device in the house), but maybe another model, with more focus on the practical aspects. For music listening and movie watching while sitting down, I will favor wired headphones.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #453 of 657
It's a Samsung Galaxy S8 with Android 9.

Every phone notification sound interrupts music playback from the PC for about 5 seconds.

This also applies to unlocking the screen, when the setting "System sounds and vibration --> screen lock sound" is turned on.

I can easily solve that by disabling that sound (which I don't need), but other phone system sounds that I want (such as connecting a charger) have the same effect.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #454 of 657
It's a Samsung Galaxy S8 with Android 9.

Every phone notification sound interrupts music playback from the PC for about 5 seconds.

This also applies to unlocking the screen, when the setting "System sounds and vibration --> screen lock sound" is turned on.

I can easily solve that by disabling that sound (which I don't need), but other phone system sounds that I want (such as connecting a charger) have the same effect.
It’s a classic problem of the Senn M3, was happening to me also on iOS with an iPhone and iPad. The software side of the Sennheiser is rather poor. I also ended up selling the M3 even though I used to like their sound.

Jun 30, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #455 of 657
OK so I received my M3s yesterday. Charged and updated FW to 4.0.8. Very happy with them so far.

Just one thing... I thought I did my homework on using them for online meetings, but apparently I didn't do it well enough. I wanted to be able to mute the mic from the headphones while in a webex call. Holding Volume- for 2 seconds should do this. This works for me while making a phone call, but not in webex on my laptop.

My Win 10 laptop says the M3 is connected for "voice, music". Not sure about types of connections, or how the M3 decides in what situations the mute function works. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #457 of 657
OK so I received my M3s yesterday. Charged and updated FW to 4.0.8. Very happy with them so far.

Just one thing... I thought I did my homework on using them for online meetings, but apparently I didn't do it well enough. I wanted to be able to mute the mic from the headphones while in a webex call. Holding Volume- for 2 seconds should do this. This works for me while making a phone call, but not in webex on my laptop.

My Win 10 laptop says the M3 is connected for "voice, music". Not sure about types of connections, or how the M3 decides in what situations the mute function works. Any ideas?

If you click on the speaker icon in the Windows taskbar, you'll see that the headphones are listed two times, one next to "Stereo", another one next to "Hands-Free".

Make sure that during the calls, the Hands-Free option is selected.

Does the mute button work that way?

Jul 1, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #458 of 657
Just tried in webex using the headset profile and didn't work. From experience, I always have a lot of problems with mute in webex. I normally use a plantronics wired headset and it doesn't work 95% of the times.
I can try later in a call with teams to check if it's working.

Jul 1, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #459 of 657
Thanks for the replies - I appreciate it. But I can't get it to work. When I click the speaker icon in the taskbar, I see these options:
- Headphones (MOMENTUM 3 Stereo)
- Headset (MOMENTUM 3 Hands-free AG Audio)

And in the webex app itself, I can choose to use these (separately for speaker and microphone):
- Use system setting (MOMENTUM 3 Hands-free AG Audio)
- Headset (MOMENTUM 3 Hands-free AG Audio)

None of the options seem to make the mute work.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #460 of 657
I've ordered these directly from Sennheiser's discount promotion last weekend in the UK. I realise they are getting quite old now, but that's fine. I only need AAC BT connectivity. Reading lots of reviews and skimming this thread, it seems like the biggest issue for some people is the hotspot on the top of the head created by the headband. I don't know if it'll be an issue for me or not. I plan on using them for listening sessions of 1 to 3 hours.

Has anyone found a viable solution for the 'hotspot' headband issue?

Jul 5, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #461 of 657
I realise they are getting quite old now, but that's fine.

I'm sorry but how are they "getting quite old"? Are they a piece of fashion? They are released in late 2019 and are the latest product in their category. They have BT 5.0 What's getting old about them? Do we need a new phone every year? No, but we still buy one and add up to the destruction of this planet. They're getting old... this is crazy.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #462 of 657
I'm sorry but how are they "getting quite old"? Are they a piece of fashion? They are released in 2019 and are the latest product in their category. They have BT 5.0 What's getting old about them? Do we need a new phone every year? No, but we still buy one and add up to the destruction of this planet. They're getting old... this is crazy.
Well, in terms of product cycles, they are getting "old". That doesn't mean that they are getting bad, though. However, that statement is still true. Soon, they won't be getting any new firmware updates for example (they actually haven't for quite a while already).

Of course, we don't need "a new phone every year" but when you decide to buy a completely new technical device at least, you very often look out for the latest and greatest or something that's been just released. So, I can completely understand that statement of his.

Jul 5, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #463 of 657
I'm sorry but how are they "getting quite old"? Are they a piece of fashion? They are released in late 2019 and are the latest product in their category. They have BT 5.0 What's getting old about them? Do we need a new phone every year? No, but we still buy one and add up to the destruction of this planet. They're getting old... this is crazy.

Apologies, I didn't mean to offend. It was just an observation that I had to weigh up in my buying decision as these were competing with quite a few newer wireless headphones. I did end up buying them with the knowledge that a successor is likely to be released fairly soon and support and future-proofing will be limited. This decision to buy them was mainly due to sound quality opinions which ranked highly in many of the reviews that I have read and watched over the last few weeks.

FWIW, I also purchased the Sennheiser MTW2 wireless IEMs, again, based on generally positive opinions about their sound quality.

Jul 6, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #464 of 657
To my disappointment, my Avantree Oasis B transmitter, connected to the TV, produces crackling noises, while the signal range is great and there is no lag (AptX LL is supported). As there is no solution for this (no firmware upgrade for this Avantree device, unlike others), I will need to get a different transmitter with optical input. I was thinking about the Sennheiser BT T100, which is supposed to work fine.

After I asked Avantree support about this, they released a new firmware upgrade for the Oasis B transmitter:

https://avantree.com/product-support/BTTC-500-W-D# (firmware 1.16 dated July 5th: "FIXED Crakling Noise issue when used with aptX Low Latency Headphones.").

As I've returned my Momentum 3 (because of a channel balance problem) and I won't get another one, I won't benefit from this anymore, but Avantree support is really fantastic.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #465 of 657
Well, in terms of product cycles, they are getting "old". That doesn't mean that they are getting bad, though. However, that statement is still true. Soon, they won't be getting any new firmware updates for example (they actually haven't for quite a while already).

Of course, we don't need "a new phone every year" but when you decide to buy a completely new technical device at least, you very often look out for the latest and greatest or something that's been just released. So, I can completely understand that statement of his.

That makes sense... you are right, I overreacted.

Apologies, I didn't mean to offend. It was just an observation that I had to weigh up in my buying decision as these were competing with quite a few newer wireless headphones. I did end up buying them with the knowledge that a successor is likely to be released fairly soon and support and future-proofing will be limited. This decision to buy them was mainly due to sound quality opinions which ranked highly in many of the reviews that I have read and watched over the last few weeks.

FWIW, I also purchased the Sennheiser MTW2 wireless IEMs, again, based on generally positive opinions about their sound quality.

No... it's me that I need to apologize, not you. I was too quick to react, and was wrong. So... sorry.

However, looking at how long Momentum 2 was in production, and the fact that the Sennheiser consumer electronics branch was sold to another company, I don't see a new product coming in this line for at least another year or two. So maybe late 2022, if not 2023.
I wish they will go back to the old "house sound" and make the Momentum 4 sound more like the HD650 with A LITTLE more bass for on-the-go fun, and not the massive V-shape that the M3 is.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back