Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless - The Official Thread
Apr 27, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #436 of 657
I think that all the symptoms that avantree reports happens with any bluetooth headphones that I've owned (and I've got a lot), including the one that everybody says works best. As for the M3, my experience is that normally it will connect and work without any issue (using my thinkpad, macbook pro, ipad pro, iphone 8, S9+, bravia TV, etc), but then again, there are days where everything fails, and honestly, I can't say if it's the headphone or the device connecting.
Edit - in the end, I forgot to say, I don't have complains of the stability of the M3.
What's happening here is not something that happens with any Bluetooth headphones. Regarding the Sennheiser AptX-LL crackling issue specifically, you can find the same experience from different people. That one is pretty obscure I guess, because not many use that protocol.

The 'no sound' issue seems less widespread, but in this case I also read about this experience from different people. This Reddit post sums up my experience well, as well as this Amazon review.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #437 of 657
with AptxLL and aukey br-08 transmitter I don't have the reported problems. instead, after the latest M3 update, I must first connect the headphones to the mobile phone and then turn on the transmitter. If I open the headphones, with the Aukey transmitter ON, neither device connects. With the old M3 firmware this problem was not there.
P.S. No mute audio, crackle or other issues connected to my Samsung S10 lite

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #438 of 657
Don't own the M3 but in my experience with the FiiO Q5 and Q5s which also act as a Bluetooth receiver, a lot of problems like the ones described here come from the emitting device. I used to have lots of problems with the HTC 10 and since switching to Samsung S10e the BT connection is rock solid with any codec, including the more data intensive ones as LDAC. The connection distance has also increased. So my advice, before blaming the headphone, try different devices.

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #439 of 657
Don't own the M3 but in my experience with the FiiO Q5 and Q5s which also act as a Bluetooth receiver, a lot of problems like the ones described here come from the emitting device. I used to have lots of problems with the HTC 10 and since switching to Samsung S10e the BT connection is rock solid with any codec, including the more data intensive ones as LDAC. The connection distance has also increased. So my advice, before blaming the headphone, try different devices.
It's good advice, but I have had the no sound issue with my Galaxy S10 and Shanling M0, I can't just swap those for something else. This alone is a showstopper, because at any time during listening to music it can stop and I need to unpair, pair, reboot, etc., hoping it will work again. I'll return the whole setup and go for a wired solution.

/edit: I'll keep troubleshooting this for a bit, because I really want it to work.
  • It seems to not have the 'no sound' issue if I'm not using my Shanling M0 ánd if I'm not deselecting 'Audio' from Android's bluetooth settings. In Android, when I pause a song, the headphones stop playing ánd, after a second, stop audio output (small pop). Seems normal. If I have Calls deselected in Android, this makes me unable to resume play. It will play, but no sound is heard. When I have Call selected, I am able to resume play.
  • The AptX-LL crackling is only sometimes, that could be due to the transmitter. If I can fix that with a simple reconnect that'd be fine. Alas, a Creative BT-W3 didn't help either, crackling persists.
Keeping this post updated.

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #440 of 657
I also have some crackling sounds when connecting my M3s to either of my two BT5 LL Transmitters (plugged into Win10 PC). Does anyone have some recommendations to what alternative product to purchase so my listening experience is undisturbed? I tried the Avantree - DG60 and 1mii BT 5.0
I wonder why those wouldn't perform and if I can only get crackling free LL transmission via more expensive (and much larger size wise) options. Willing to compromise regarding the price but I'm not to keen on placing a big box somewhere (if it can be avoided). It's independent of distance, be it right next to my PC or in a different room, crackling persists. I deem interference with other transmitting devices unlikely to be honest.

May 2, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #441 of 657
I also have some crackling sounds when connecting my M3s to either of my two BT5 LL Transmitters (plugged into Win10 PC). Does anyone have some recommendations to what alternative product to purchase so my listening experience is undisturbed? I tried the Avantree - DG60 and 1mii BT 5.0
I wonder why those wouldn't perform and if I can only get crackling free LL transmission via more expensive (and much larger size wise) options. Willing to compromise regarding the price but I'm not to keen on placing a big box somewhere (if it can be avoided). It's independent of distance, be it right next to my PC or in a different room, crackling persists. I deem interference with other transmitting devices unlikely to be honest.
Yeah, it's definitely a Sennheiser problem. I've having the same issue with a FiiO BTA30 (99 euro) and Creative BT-W3 (29 euro) and whatever I try, crackling persists. Since AptX-LL is a big part of the reason I went for the Momentum 3, I sadly have to return them. They all seem to have this issue. Sennheiser Support did not acknowledge the problem to me.

The Shure Aonic 50 is not on the same level of build quality and those all seem to have a rattling left ear cup issue, as I have experienced myself.

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #442 of 657
a problem and an advice please.
since i have many earphones,i had the mom 3 not used for over 2 months. today i got the out and charged them. after the charge i noticed that they dont power up or shutdown when folding unfolding them. I can power on off only with the button. i conected them to the app checked if there was a new firmware ( not one) and did a reset thgrough the app.
The problem continues.....
What else can i try before returning them for warranty'?
thanks

Jun 7, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #443 of 657
a problem and an advice please.
since i have many earphones,i had the mom 3 not used for over 2 months. today i got the out and charged them. after the charge i noticed that they dont power up or shutdown when folding unfolding them. I can power on off only with the button. i conected them to the app checked if there was a new firmware ( not one) and did a reset thgrough the app.
The problem continues.....
What else can i try before returning them for warranty'?
thanks
So i finally decided to give them back . They took it on the service and after 15 days they sent me a new pair,so i guess they couldnt repair them. I didnt open them yet and i hope thet this time i wont have the other problem which was very easy movement of the adjustment of the headphones....Will see

Jun 19, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #444 of 657
Hi, new member here. I've read (or at least skimmed) all this thread. After all that, I'm planning to get a set of Momentum 3s.

Now forgive my shallowness here. but the question right now is which colour! :) I do like the look of the white in photos, but I'm wondering if they are targeted more at younger people and/or females - I'm a guy in my 50s with grey hair and will use them in the office a bit. I haven't seen the white in person yet, only the black.

Your thoughts appreciated!

Jun 20, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #445 of 657
Hi, new member here. I've read (or at least skimmed) all this thread. After all that, I'm planning to get a set of Momentum 3s.

Now forgive my shallowness here. but the question right now is which colour! :) I do like the look of the white in photos, but I'm wondering if they are targeted more at younger people and/or females - I'm a guy in my 50s with grey hair and will use them in the office a bit. I haven't seen the white in person yet, only the black.

Your thoughts appreciated!

The white ones with that sand leather are beutiful, elegant and perfectly fine for anybody I'd say.
I'm also in my 50's and I'm bored with black headphones, so I say - get what you like! live's too short :)
I'm thinking on getting the XM4s in bra-beige myself :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #446 of 657
So I got these expecting these would be have good quality sound for a portable wireless headphone based on a acclaim from a reviewer, but I ended up disliking the sound of these.

First of all, I really like the feature of turning off the headphone by folding the headphone. I just find this feature very practical. I hope this feature would be common among wireless foldable headphones. Also, folding aspect of a headphone that would be used for travel is a important feature. I want something that can be compacted in a smallest case possible.

The sound just doesn't do it for me. It was highly v-shaped sounding. The bass was just too much. The bass impact was too strong that I found it just over-bearing. The quality of bass is ok, not all that high of a quality. It's tight, but not quality in bass definition. Very basic sounding thumping bass.

The other aspect I didn't like was the treble. The treble seemed a bit too elevated, and treble quality was pretty bad. Treble sounded really broken up, and this stuck out along with the thumping bass that it really affected the engagement with the music.

It has good sound stage size for a closed back. Nice ample room inside the earcup.

The ANC performance is subpar. I prefer the Sony XM3 my usage due to the ANC performance, and it's sound response doesn't have such a crazy v-shape that interferes with what I'm listening to. The Sony is a keeper due to price I got it for (discounted) and generally travel friendly for my usage scenarios fits better than anything else out there.

So anything Momentum by Sennheiser is not my cup of tea. They are certain type of v-shaped that bothers music enjoyment. Perhaps the intended purpose of Momentum tuning is for the general consumers, but I don't fit the target. I fit the target of HD600/650/6XX tunings. HD650 out of a Bottlehead Crack is what like, and it would be a dream if that kind of sound can be achieved for a travel headphone. For a travel headphone, I don't need high technicalities, but tonalities and other features are weighted much greater like ANC for example.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #447 of 657
Yeah, it's definitely a Sennheiser problem. I've having the same issue with a FiiO BTA30 (99 euro) and Creative BT-W3 (29 euro) and whatever I try, crackling persists. Since AptX-LL is a big part of the reason I went for the Momentum 3, I sadly have to return them. They all seem to have this issue. Sennheiser Support did not acknowledge the problem to me.

I just got the Sennheiser Momentum 3 (my first Bluetooth over ear headphones) and was planning to use them for music and movies. Sources would be a smartphone, a Windows 10 PC (USB dongle), and a TV/Blu-ray player (optical output). For music, long signal range would be great (to be able to walk through the entire appartement without connection loss) and for movies, there must be no audio lag. That's the reason I got the Momentum 3 with aptX LL.

To my disappointment, my Avantree Oasis B transmitter, connected to the TV, produces crackling noises, while the signal range is great and there is no lag (AptX LL is supported). As there is no solution for this (no firmware upgrade for this Avantree device, unlike others), I will need to get a different transmitter with optical input. I was thinking about the Sennheiser BT T100, which is supposed to work fine.

Concerning the connection to my Windows PC, using a cheap BT 5.0 USB dongle with the Realtek RTL8761B chip, I was amazed that there was no lag as well (checked with the "Audio Video Sync Test " video on Youtube), unlike with my Samsung Galaxy Live buds. Same with my old laptop. Does that mean AptX LL is applied in Windows 10 (I couldn't find out how to check that in Windows)? The signal range was rather limited though (no connection though walls, unlike with the Avantree transmitter).

Does anyone have a recommendation for a USB dongle with no sound issues that has a long range and supports AptX LL? I was thinking about the Avantree DG60 and the Creative BT W3, but they both seem to have the crackling noise issues with Sennheiser headphones, although Avantree claims to have fixed that for the DG60 with a firrmware upgrade:

https://avantree.com/product-suppor...rackling-noise-on-aptx-low-latency-headphones

Thanks

Jun 26, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #448 of 657
Hi all. Sorry for going OT, but this is in regards to the matter you're all discussing about in the last few posts.

Here's the thing: the crackling issues you had with aptX Low Latency are always gonna be present, to some sort of degree.

I've had exactly the same experience with my Beoplay H9 3rd Gen and Plantronics BackBeat Pro, which both support aptX Low Latency.

I've used both of them in multiple combinations and with several aptX Low Latency Bluetooth dongles with different designs.

Crackling was always present when I used them in aptX Low Latency mode (as I switched to aptX classic, crackling went away).

I've also used them with some third party Bluetooth drivers with my Spectre x360 laptop which enabled aptX Low Latency, and the crackling issue was present there too.

Actually, when using the laptop built-in wireless card, the crackling issues were even more frequent, and when using the external dongles they were much less frequent. I suspect that it may also have something to do with external devices RF interferences.

This leads me to believe that this instability is the reason why aptX Low Latency was eventually discontinued by Qualcomm, with no real successor.

@Claude: no, aptX Low Latency is not integrated in Windows 10. However, one of the recent updates of Windows 10 (which, by the way, already supports standard aptX) - can't remember exactly which one, maybe 1909? - added to the Windows Bluetooth stack the support of AVDTP 1.3, which introduced the feature of "delay reporting", that allows the Bluetooth audio device to report its audio latency to the source device, so that the source device can adjust the video playback to be delayed by the same amount of ms that the audio is delayed by. So that's probably why you're seeing good A/V sync with your laptop.
Plus, TWS earphones usually have a much higher A/V delay, so the fact that you first had experience with them, likely played a part in having you perceiving the delay with the Momentum 3 to be much lower than it actually is.

Still, this is only a "workaround" as it's a passive way to solve the A/V sync issue that the Bluetooth has (and it can't be applied to all use scenarios, like for instance video games), unlike aptX Low Latency which solved it in an active way by making the Bluetooth audio stream in fact virtually lag-free (albeit, with those crackling issues).

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #449 of 657
Thanks @matteventu for that interesting info.

Does that mean that with Windows 10 and the Sennheiser Momentum 3, I don't have to worry about audio lag, and aptX LL support is not necessary?

So I could use any good Bluetooth 5.0 dongle?

Jun 26, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #450 of 657
AVDTP 1.3 support depends also on application level, so your mileage may vary.

aptX LL instead works with everything.

Ideally if you're able to find an aptX Low Latency solution that doesn't have crackling issues, that would be much better and reliable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back