Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless - The Official Thread
Oct 19, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #31 of 657
Thanks, will do :)

The PX7 are simply too expensive and by the look of things also quite large. I know the M3s are just about the same, but I could get a good deal from a friend of mine.

Oct 26, 2019 at 3:38 AM Post #32 of 657
I had a Momentum Wireless 3 and gave them a chance but got very frustrated and sent them back. Besides SQ (no complaints but nothing to compare them to) I thought they were terrible. I used them for several long-haul flights and a few times on a subway, but to me they’re too big for commuting.

I’ve never owned wireless ANC headphones because I’ve had CIEMs until recently, but I’ve used premium Bose and Denon models when provided by the airline in business/first class in many flights. So a direct comparison isn’t possible but I have an idea of ANC levels.

- App: pathetic. Even after a month (to give them time to update it) you could almost never reconnect (iOS). Sennheiser officially suggested pausing audio but that didn’t make any difference for me. The equaliser was overly simple. I only ever wanted to use it to adjust ANC level though.

- Size/fit: awkward but comfortable. The sliding notchless earcups often became misaligned, as in one would slide down and the other would slide and the asymmetric fit would then annoy me. The exposed cables on both sides were also just ugly and touched your head, with sweat or grease an issue in the long-term maybe.

- Controls: the most annoying part. You have to fold them to turn them off, but they’re huge. On a flight I normally hang them on the reading lights but that eats battery life. Likewise around your neck or on a headphones stand.

- Battery life: much lower than advertised. From fully charged I ran out of battery on two 10-13 hour flights where I didn’t use then non-stop.

- ANC: not as good as a CIEM and generally disappointing. Low frequency noises were gone but overall not good at low volumes and I could hear conversations (and even the plane toilet flushing when sat nearby through a closed door). From memory it was better on the Bose headphones several airlines have given me. Possibly also the Denon headphones Turkish Airlines give you.

Hugely disappointing, just like the Momentum True Wireless in-ear. Going back many years, HD700 was my favourite over ear and the IE800 my favourite in-ear (if only the tips were more secure). I’m done with Sennheiser.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #33 of 657
I agree on all points, and you can't believe how much that frustrates me!

They could have kept everything of the Momentum 2 Wireless and just improved sound quality, and they would be a beast!

But no, they wanted to do things differently, adding/changing stuff nobody has ever asked for.

Well maybe they'll learn with the Momentum 4 Wireless.

Disappointing to see the battery lasts even less than the 17 advertised hours, but perfectly in line with the expectations: even the M2WAEBT lasted me less than 22 hours.

Oct 26, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #35 of 657
OK guys, I'll spare you the pain since you're so pissed off - just send them to me! I'll struggle with the larger ear-cups that are more comfortable, and all the sh**... :p
Seriously now, just try to enjoy them, most people that have them do so. It can't be that bad. There is no perfect product.

Oct 28, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #36 of 657
Okay, so while I'm waiting for my Momentum 3's to arrive, I have a question about bluetooth vs wired. This is the first time I've heard anything about bluetooth being better than wired (3.5mm jack), and this will also be the first time I'm owning bluetooth headphones.

Is this really true, that these headphone manufacturers make the bluetooth output better than wired/don't make sure wired is equally as good? Are there any articles or posts written about this? And what about using the USB-C cable?

I have a Samsung Galaxy S10 (Exynos), so I have all the options. I can use bluetooth, I can use the 3.5mm jack cable, and I can use the USB-C cable. What is the best option out of these three with the Momentum 3's? Assuming there's no external DACs/amps involved, just straight from phone to headphones.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #37 of 657
I sold my Sony WH-1000XM3, and pick these up about a week ago.

The Sony XM3, where great and in my opinion has better noise cancelation, much better Bluetooth coverage. Also, the Sony EQ app is much better than Sennheiser's App.

The main reason for getting rid of the Sony XM3, is due to its build quality, it defiantly feels that its made out of premium plastic's but the hinges felt so weak also the headphones seem easier to mark/damage.

The Momentum 3, build quality feels far more premium with its part metal design also the real leather Ear Cushions are much more comfortable than Sony XM3.

If you are a Bass Head like me but still appreciate subtle sounds from electronic music the Momentum 3, Sound/Bass is just fantastic. (You can feel your ears physically rumbling with its undistorted Bass)

As mentioned earlier the only complaint I have with Momentum 3, is the poor Bluetooth coverage. With my old Sony XM3, I could have my Samsung Note 9 on the ground floor and still pick up a decent signal from my first floor. The Momentum 3, signal starts dropping out soon as I step out of the same room as my Note 9. Small grumble which I can live with.

In the past, I have owned the following Headphones
Sony wh-1000xm3
Beats studio 2.0 wireless
Beats studio pro
Bose QuietComfort 35
Sennheiser momentum 2.0
Microsoft Surface Noise Cancelling Headphones, Platinum

I think the Sennheiser momentum 3.0, Build quality, Sound/Bass, Physical buttons, Auto On/Off and Smart Pause, Premium and Comfortable Ear Cushions make these the best headphones I have owned, (My Opinion)

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 6:48 AM Post #38 of 657
Okay, so while I'm waiting for my Momentum 3's to arrive, I have a question about bluetooth vs wired. This is the first time I've heard anything about bluetooth being better than wired (3.5mm jack), and this will also be the first time I'm owning bluetooth headphones.

Is this really true, that these headphone manufacturers make the bluetooth output better than wired/don't make sure wired is equally as good? Are there any articles or posts written about this? And what about using the USB-C cable?

I have a Samsung Galaxy S10 (Exynos), so I have all the options. I can use bluetooth, I can use the 3.5mm jack cable, and I can use the USB-C cable. What is the best option out of these three with the Momentum 3's? Assuming there's no external DACs/amps involved, just straight from phone to headphones.

"Better" is very subjective. If "better" is the most accurate sound processing that is transparent to the source then the comparison would be between the combination of the DAC/AMP of your Phone vs the DAC/AMP of the headphones, that produces the most accurate sound.
This is best tested with specialized gear, but you could also try to test by ear the 3.5mm output of your S10 plugged into the analog 3.5mm of the headphones vs. USB-C from the S10 plugged into the headphones both without any EQ or other "enhancements".
Then compare the USB-C connection with the Bluetooth connection, see if you hear any difference.
Otherwise, if "better" is colored sound that is pleasing to your ears, then you should decide what is best for you, trying all the options, and maybe tweaking with the EQ app too.

Oct 30, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #39 of 657
Momemntum3 sounds perfect to my ears, I'm delighted with build quality, but I'm worried about a poor battery. Today I got IO6, but here I am afraid that there will be too little bass for my taste.

I am still wondering if I should not try B&O h9v3, the question is, does anyone have a comparison to M3, or a sound signature in general?

Oct 31, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #40 of 657
I just registered for an account here. I received a free set of the Momentum 3s to review recently, and am not a audiophile by any means, but I do have to say these sound great to me overall. However the battery life is pretty bad. I probably get 10-12 hours on a full charge.

I updated the firmware after the android software install, the software SUCKS, especially the EQ, I have to agree with some of you up there. I don't know why they had to do that. I have no issues with the it auto pausing, resuming, etc, personally. I wonder if it was fixed in the firmware update I performed?

Just an FYI.. I went from "over 20 percent battery life", to, "100 percent battery life" in just over an hour of charging, using the included USB-C to USB-A adapter, and my LG v30 charger. A lot faster than the ~ 3 hours they say you need for a full charge.

I feel like these are pretty comfortable so far, but man do these have an odor to them!! Even after a week out of the box they still smell. I don't usually fly super long distances, but the battery life isn't great if you fly alot. And while you can charge them while using them, it introduces a low hum while listening.

I do love being able to have these connected to my Android phone, and my NVIDIA Shield TV at the same time. I only saw some lag once via KODI, after a sound interruption from my phone. It pauses video, and then continues it after the phone notification is over. You can stop this behavior by setting phone to vibrate (at least on my android LG v30 running OS v9.0).

I guess like most of the reviews seem to agree, if you need these for mostly ANC and long flights, you should probably look at other options, but to my ears, these sound much better than the Sony's and Bose @ $350 in the short time I tried both of those.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #45 of 657
All BT headphones in the premium category have a longer operating time, I don't know what you mean by writing about the battery 4-5 hours and in what years they were produced. We currently have 2019 and M3 appeared this year, where all competitors have longer working hours.

I agree that they are very comfortable and have a great sound for me, but the working time is really a misunderstanding and in my conditions it comes out about 12 hours without ANC ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back