Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless - The Official Thread
Nov 1, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #46 of 657
Sorry but I find your review (and after checking your website, also other comparisons among different headphones) to be extremely unreliable.

The only thing I agree with is the comfort.

What is so unreliable about it? I've got them for a 2 week loan, so everything in there is my honest opinion and my measurements back me up everything I mentioned in there.

Nov 1, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #47 of 657
Just finished my written review and my video one. :)
(included measurements and a comparison with Momentum 2.0)
Enjoy!
Excellent review, thank you! I’ve read a bunch of reviews of these headphones over the last few weeks, this is the first that really pays attention to wired use and the USB DAC feature.

I too love the M2s (bought them twice in fact) and have been wondering about the upgrade. I even went to 3 stores here that sell them but none had demo/display models to try out and they wouldn’t open a box to let me try before buying :frowning2:

It seems like your impressions of the M2 are similar to mine, I’ll probably make the step to the M3 on the basis of your review :)

Nov 2, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #48 of 657
Just finished my written review and my video one. :)
(included measurements and a comparison with Momentum 2.0)
Enjoy!

Thanks for the review! I agree with all your observations.

I also have the Sony XM3. The Sony’s have better battery life, are more compact in storage, and have better ANC by about 3dB (to my ear perception). But I prefer the sound and looks of the Momentum 3.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #49 of 657
The ironic part is that Momentum 3 and B&W PX7 have more bass than any of Beats' current offerings. (Which I'm not against, the bass on the Momentum 2.0 Wireless was fantastic and the 3 seems more balanced albeit with a stronger bass boost which could work out pretty well considering the quality of these drivers. Considering it's Sennheiser I'd assume it still has the velvety clean mid-range.)

Nov 2, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #50 of 657
The ironic part is that Momentum 3 and B&W PX7 have more bass than any of Beats' current offerings. (Which I'm not against, the bass on the Momentum 2.0 Wireless was fantastic and the 3 seems more balanced albeit with a stronger bass boost which could work out pretty well considering the quality of these drivers. Considering it's Sennheiser I'd assume it still has the velvety clean mid-range.)
Without question. It's currently my favorite sounding wireless headphone. I had the PX7, just sent it back today. The funny part is, I purchased the M3 first, grabbed the PX7, sent the M3 back, repurchased the M3 for a longer comparison, sent the PX7 back today. Initially I felt the M3 was only slightly better sounding than the PX7, so I kept the PX7 for longer battery life, a better case, and better multi device bluetooth management via the app. After spending more time with the PX7, I started noticing flaws with the sound and mic. On certain songs the PX7 just didn't sound quite right to me. Either sibilance in the Treble Range, or a hollowness in the Mids. Made me curious about the M3s again so I grabbed them. I did a more extensive comparison between the two and started to notice more the SQ advantages of the M3. Just a more detailed, musical, consistent sound. I initially thought the PX7 were the more detailed headphone, and it gives that appearance in certain songs due to the angled drivers and the way it presents it's soundstage. It's just not consistent enough with all music in my opinion which is important in a Wireless ANC headphone where you may be using it in many different situations. And to top things off, the PX7 has a noticeable volume limiter that the M3 doesn't have. After you get to a certain volume, it stops increasing certain frequencies when you push it higher. It further hurts it's balance.

Nov 2, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #51 of 657
It was similar with me.
I now have M3 for the third time and I will rather stay with them.
I still have Dali IO6 for several days, but unfortunately they are not as comfortable as M3. They pinch me on top of my head. I had the same with Sony XM3, although everyone wrote that they are very comfortable

Nov 2, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #52 of 657
Is curious, the m3 wireless is my favourite anc headphone in the sound quality after I trying in several years much anc headphones (qc35, qc35 II, qc20i, nc700, Sony 1000x, xm2, momentum 2, pxc550, h9, h9i, h9 3g, h8, new dali io-6, new mw65, px, new px7, new beats solo pro and new apple EarPods pro), and this is first time I posting in this thread.

I deciding posting because I have big disappointment with majority of anc headphones or earphones recently. Recently I trying h9i, h9 3g, qc35 II, nc700, mw65, px7, dali io-6, beats solo pro and AirPods pro. I posting first again after long time in px7 thread because my favourite sound is from b&w p7 wireless but this isn't anc headphone and I thinking previous px model is very bad sound and I have good hope for the new px7. The px7 is big disappointment and I deciding starting posting again for this reason. Then I trying mw65, then dali-io6, beats solo pro and airpods pro. Now is good time for I posting here.

Today my favourite sound is very clear: m3 wireless. The number 2 probably is qc35/qc35 II but is problem for me the plastic ear pads too that is make my ears very hot or sweating. My number 3 or maybe number 2 (because I don't comparing directly) is AirPods pro. AirPods pro is earphone and is better sound than much very more expensive anc headphones in my opinion. Is really fantastic job from Apple, but for people who thinking they audiophile isn't easy admitting AirPods pro is excellent product and sound.

M3 isn't perfect. How is really possible sennheiser giving completely ridiculous terrible mediocre case for this very good premium headphone?!! The battery of 17 hours isn't bad completely but today isn't exactly completely good with the competition. The minimum good battery today is is 20-22 hours in my opinion.

And the company more famous in the world of headphones why is using very bad ridiculous EQ in the app? Sennheiser having money for giving simple and good 5 or 7 bands EQ that is easy for using and very better with numbers and is looking more serious and professional like the design of the headphone (little retro/classic). But I'm happy because the default sound isn't perfect but is very very good.

Much people criticise the anc in m3. Yes, isn't strong like bose and sony, but other headphones with not good anc changing the sound when anc on or off very much (h8, mw65, h9, etc). m3 wireless is very good sound with anc on, off or ambient mode. I love ambient mode.

One big suggestion the next time for sennheiser is please looking at control buttons of p7 wireless and copy the perfect position and the feeling in the fingers. I changing volume and songs very much and the buttons in m3 isn't always easy recognising what is what, In p7 wireless (3 years old) is completely perfect.

Please also giving more volume steps for volume up and down. P7 wireless having many steps and is very good for small change in volume. In the iPhone m3 is bad because volume suddenly going 3 steps up very loud or very low and is necessary to do opposite for compensating this, so immediately after big jumping in volume is necessary going down 2-3 steps and iPhone having only 16 steps. bowers & wilkins is best in this aspect. I surprise very much because sometimes I think the manufacturers don't looking or listening at competition.

But the sound of the m3 is very very good, the construction is very solid, the design is very good, the comfort is great, the logo isn't showing from 20 kms (like b&w), the ambient mode is excellent, the call quality is good too and connection very quickly.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #53 of 657
Is curious, the m3 wireless is my favourite anc headphone in the sound quality after I trying in several years much anc headphones (qc35, qc35 II, qc20i, nc700, Sony 1000x, xm2, momentum 2, pxc550, h9, h9i, h9 3g, h8, new dali io-6, new mw65, px, new px7, new beats solo pro and new apple EarPods pro), and this is first time I posting in this thread.

I deciding posting because I have big disappointment with majority of anc headphones or earphones recently. Recently I trying h9i, h9 3g, qc35 II, nc700, mw65, px7, dali io-6, beats solo pro and AirPods pro. I posting first again after long time in px7 thread because my favourite sound is from b&w p7 wireless but this isn't anc headphone and I thinking previous px model is very bad sound and I have good hope for the new px7. The px7 is big disappointment and I deciding starting posting again for this reason. Then I trying mw65, then dali-io6, beats solo pro and airpods pro. Now is good time for I posting here.

Today my favourite sound is very clear: m3 wireless. The number 2 probably is qc35/qc35 II but is problem for me the plastic ear pads too that is make my ears very hot or sweating. My number 3 or maybe number 2 (because I don't comparing directly) is AirPods pro. AirPods pro is earphone and is better sound than much very more expensive anc headphones in my opinion. Is really fantastic job from Apple, but for people who thinking they audiophile isn't easy admitting AirPods pro is excellent product and sound.

M3 isn't perfect. How is really possible sennheiser giving completely ridiculous terrible mediocre case for this very good premium headphone?!! The battery of 17 hours isn't bad completely but today isn't exactly completely good with the competition. The minimum good battery today is is 20-22 hours in my opinion.

And the company more famous in the world of headphones why is using very bad ridiculous EQ in the app? Sennheiser having money for giving simple and good 5 or 7 bands EQ that is easy for using and very better with numbers and is looking more serious and professional like the design of the headphone (little retro/classic). But I'm happy because the default sound isn't perfect but is very very good.

Much people criticise the anc in m3. Yes, isn't strong like bose and sony, but other headphones with not good anc changing the sound when anc on or off very much (h8, mw65, h9, etc). m3 wireless is very good sound with anc on, off or ambient mode. I love ambient mode.

One big suggestion the next time for sennheiser is please looking at control buttons of p7 wireless and copy the perfect position and the feeling in the fingers. I changing volume and songs very much and the buttons in m3 isn't always easy recognising what is what, In p7 wireless (3 years old) is completely perfect.

Please also giving more volume steps for volume up and down. P7 wireless having many steps and is very good for small change in volume. In the iPhone m3 is bad because volume suddenly going 3 steps up very loud or very low and is necessary to do opposite for compensating this, so immediately after big jumping in volume is necessary going down 2-3 steps and iPhone having only 16 steps. bowers & wilkins is best in this aspect. I surprise very much because sometimes I think the manufacturers don't looking or listening at competition.

But the sound of the m3 is very very good, the construction is very solid, the design is very good, the comfort is great, the logo isn't showing from 20 kms (like b&w), the ambient mode is excellent, the call quality is good too and connection very quickly.

Momentum 3 looks like a winner. It targets a bass-heavy consumer response but I’m sure it’s still that clean Sennheiser sound as others attested to. I just don’t find it to be versatile enough for my use since I’d probably prefer truly wireless for the gym. Momentum TW also receives top marks for sound but I’d probably be more likely to get AirPods Pro.

How did you feel about Beats Solo Pro in relation to the other headphones?

Nov 2, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #54 of 657
Momentum 3 looks like a winner. It targets a bass-heavy consumer response but I’m sure it’s still that clean Sennheiser sound as others attested to. I just don’t find it to be versatile enough for my use since I’d probably prefer truly wireless for the gym. Momentum TW also receives top marks for sound but I’d probably be more likely to get AirPods Pro.

How did you feel about Beats Solo Pro in relation to the other headphones?

I have momentum true wireless (mtw) and is great sound. This is big surprise for me and mtw taking me for ordering new m3 anc headphone because m2 isn't making me happy. The sound quality for me of mtw is better than AirPods pro (APP) but isn't far if you trying the different tips (I always using medium in many years and now with APP I using large). Yes, APP is more practical and having excellent anc, the mtw isn't have anc. But you having volume control in mtw and not in APP.

Beats solo pro is having for my surprise excellent anc but the sound is thin, this is very big surprise, it isn't sufficient bass, the low frequencies isn't correct. I have previous model solo 3 wireless (with no anc) and the sound quality is clear is better for me. The treble is also maybe sometimes little much in new model. I have hope for solo pro because I think solo 3 is very good, but solo pro is disappointment.

Nov 2, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #55 of 657
They pinch me on top of my head. I had the same with Sony XM3, although everyone wrote that they are very comfortable
Had the same with sony xm2. Felt like a spike going through after an hour or so. Got a smaller problem with the sony xm3's.

Nov 3, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #57 of 657
Without question. It's currently my favorite sounding wireless headphone. I had the PX7, just sent it back today. The funny part is, I purchased the M3 first, grabbed the PX7, sent the M3 back, repurchased the M3 for a longer comparison, sent the PX7 back today. Initially I felt the M3 was only slightly better sounding than the PX7, so I kept the PX7 for longer battery life, a better case, and better multi device bluetooth management via the app. After spending more time with the PX7, I started noticing flaws with the sound and mic. On certain songs the PX7 just didn't sound quite right to me. Either sibilance in the Treble Range, or a hollowness in the Mids. Made me curious about the M3s again so I grabbed them. I did a more extensive comparison between the two and started to notice more the SQ advantages of the M3. Just a more detailed, musical, consistent sound. I initially thought the PX7 were the more detailed headphone, and it gives that appearance in certain songs due to the angled drivers and the way it presents it's soundstage. It's just not consistent enough with all music in my opinion which is important in a Wireless ANC headphone where you may be using it in many different situations. And to top things off, the PX7 has a noticeable volume limiter that the M3 doesn't have. After you get to a certain volume, it stops increasing certain frequencies when you push it higher. It further hurts it's balance.

This sounds like my situation, got the M3 first, was not 100% sure it sounded better than the M2 I’d got. Ordered the PX7, liked the signature, but then begun comparing it to the M3, and noticed certain subtleties in tracks, in which I did not get with the PX7. It felt the more musical of the 2.

However as I wasn’t impressed with the battery, I hastily sent them back. Now after a short while without the M3, I’m noticing that they are the better sounding pair, and that I should have given them a longer go (which I’ll probably do now)

I didn’t initially notice the sibilance, however it’s bothering me more, and giving me flashbacks to the H9i I sampled (and hated) last year. Amazon are going to hate me! :o2smile:

Nov 6, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #58 of 657
Can someone comment on how these compare to the B&W P7W ? I am primarly concerned with SQ as i will be using these at home and in the office. I can get a BNIB P7W right now for 225 usd. which one is a better value? I used to have the P7W and i thought their sound was amazing. I sold them when i got the XM3 for travel. Thanks

Nov 7, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #59 of 657
Can someone comment on how these compare to the B&W P7W ? I am primarly concerned with SQ as i will be using these at home and in the office. I can get a BNIB P7W right now for 225 usd. which one is a better value? I used to have the P7W and i thought their sound was amazing. I sold them when i got the XM3 for travel. Thanks

I writing this in different thread:

The p7w is my favourite wireless headphone, but isn't only favourite wireless, p7w I preferring more than my wired very expensive top of the line sennheiser hd800 and the hd600 too.

The sound of the p7w for me is very real like with good speakers. The sennheiser m3w is the more close with p7w sound than many anc headphones I trying in the past. I prefer more p7w than m3w but m3w is sufficient close. The only reason for me is m3w having anc and ambient mode, the two things are very important for me. p7w having 14 hours of battery and m3w 17 so I'm happy, isn't perfect for 2019 but is good for me after I hear the very good sound and the excellent construction and the design.

The difference is m3w is having little elevated sub bass and p7w little elevated mid bass. The 2 giving different flavour in music but isn't far. But the combination of mids and treble I preferring in p7w. The m3w is having very good treble but for me I hearing more reality in mids and treble combination, with little more body in p7w, maybe because mid bass helping a little bringing with in the voices and instrumentation with sounds in midrange.

Nov 7, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #60 of 657
I writing this in different thread:

The p7w is my favourite wireless headphone, but isn't only favourite wireless, p7w I preferring more than my wired very expensive top of the line sennheiser hd800 and the hd600 too.

The sound of the p7w for me is very real like with good speakers. The sennheiser m3w is the more close with p7w sound than many anc headphones I trying in the past. I prefer more p7w than m3w but m3w is sufficient close. The only reason for me is m3w having anc and ambient mode, the two things are very important for me. p7w having 14 hours of battery and m3w 17 so I'm happy, isn't perfect for 2019 but is good for me after I hear the very good sound and the excellent construction and the design.

The difference is m3w is having little elevated sub bass and p7w little elevated mid bass. The 2 giving different flavour in music but isn't far. But the combination of mids and treble I preferring in p7w. The m3w is having very good treble but for me I hearing more reality in mids and treble combination, with little more body in p7w, maybe because mid bass helping a little bringing with in the voices and instrumentation with sounds in midrange.
So I'm saving about 175 USD by getting the P7W, so you think its worth it then ? Considering I already have the XM3 for traveling and N/C needs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back