Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Oct 4, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #3,196 of 3,671

I have both still.  The M2 wireless is better when in active mode, either wireless ANC or wired ANC versus the older Momentum.  The soundstage is about the same but the dynamics is better with the M2 with a smoother mid range, ideal for vocals.  I also hear less distortion with the M2 versus the older Momentum wired.

Paul

I agree with this, but I think that even the wired passive mode sounds a bit better on the M2 than on the M1. Also, don't forget USB mode. I think this is the best sounding mode that the M2 wireless has. 

More to the point, I think that he was asking about a comparison between M2 wireless (in passive wired mode), and the M2 wired (which I can't comment because I have not heard the M2 wired headphones), but I could be wrong since they have convoluted it so much with naming that it can get very confusing... hehe

Oct 4, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #3,197 of 3,671

I agree with this, but I think that even the wired passive mode sounds a bit better on the M2 than on the M1. Also, don't forget USB mode. I think this is the best sounding mode that the M2 wireless has. 

More to the point, I think that he was asking about a comparison between M2 wireless (in passive wired mode), and the M2 wired (which I can't comment because I have not heard the M2 wired headphones), but I could be wrong since they have convoluted it so much with naming that it can get very confusing... hehe

LOL.  Please do not buy the M2 for the passive mode.  By all means, make sure it's juiced. IMHO

Paul

Oct 4, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #3,198 of 3,671

Yea, I have just been debating if the wireless set is worth the extra price (because i really dont want to sacrifice audio quality to just have a portable pair) but from your statement it would definitely seem like BT is the way to go. Especially because you get get a set of them used on amazon shipped from their warehouse for 300 bucks, seems like a solid deal. 

Yes it is at $388 currently at Amazon with free returns.
I paid $499 when they first came out.

Paul

Oct 4, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #3,199 of 3,671
Hey guys I have a slight predicament. Since about May, my pair of Wireless M2's  (purchased new, open box) have be having a bunch of issues in regards to a couple of things

1. I dunno if its just me getting used to it, but the ANC seems pretty much non existent
2. Vibrations in vehicles causes low end to distort
3. Turning the unit on without initiating playback comes with a slight hiss coming out of the right earcup only.

I've brushed off these issues as maybe being placebo in the past, but after checking more and more impressions, I shouldnt be having these problems. BTW this is not a bootleg pair as the serial number check consider the model number genuine. Debating whether or not to send these back to Senn depending whether this is a faulty unit or not due to my reported issues. Thanks!

Oct 4, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #3,200 of 3,671
  Hey guys I have a slight predicament. Since about May, my pair of Wireless M2's  (purchased new, open box) have be having a bunch of issues in regards to a couple of things

1. I dunno if its just me getting used to it, but the ANC seems pretty much non existent
2. Vibrations in vehicles causes low end to distort
3. Turning the unit on without initiating playback comes with a slight hiss coming out of the right earcup only.

I've brushed off these issues as maybe being placebo in the past, but after checking more and more impressions, I shouldnt be having these problems. BTW this is not a bootleg pair as the serial number check consider the model number genuine. Debating whether or not to send these back to Senn depending whether this is a faulty unit or not due to my reported issues. Thanks!

It's under the 2 year warranty period, you should be covered by Sennheiser.  I recently had mine replaced with a new one.  None of your issues, just cosmetics.

Paul

Oct 4, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #3,201 of 3,671
So, I went to best buy to buy a friend a couple movies for his bday and felt compelled to go into their magnolia section and see what they had. Sure enough, they had the M2 AEBT. One pair left! Thankfully. Had to pick them up. Just had to. Especially because they have a 15 day no questions asked return policy.

I'm listening now and have been for the last hour so this is going to be a very limited impression, but so far they are pretty fn amazing. The comfort of these bad boys is noticeable right away. No clamping what so ever and the pads are so soft. Plenty of room for my ears, but i guess someone with very large ears could have an issue.

I will say the bass is shocking! I was not expecting that. Not in a bad way and doesn't mess with the mids or anything, just surprising. I was definitely worried about the loudness and let it be known there are no issues with it getting loud enough. Well, I have it maxed on the headphones and probably 80% on my phone and it may just be a tick too loud. Anyone else care to comment where they have their levels?I'm not one to want anything crazy loud or anything but after getting a couple pairs of bluetooth headphones and their extreme lack of volume I now make sure that it isn't an issue going forward. 

Also, the Bluetooth range is great, probably better than the PXC 550. No popping/crackling as of yet. The verdict is still out on the ANC but if you asked my impression as of now, I am not very impressed. The PXC definitely has it beat but that feature is what they're going for.

In comparison to the PXC: Hands down the M2 is certainly more comfortable, way more attractive (these things are gorgeous), better Bluetooth range, audio quality (still early) appears to definitely be better. Also, I hated that on the PXC you had to rotate a cup to turn it on and off. The hinges and the way these collapse seem so solid. They just scream quality. I like how these have actual buttons. The buttons the PXC did have were in the most awkward places (well, at least one was). And I don't care what the PXC users say, any time you put your hand near your ear it would accidentally pause. Not a huge deal but annoying....so, yea, kind of a big deal that you have to avoid putting your hands near that area, lol. Or if you wanted to swipe it was all too easy to pause accidentally first. I think you may get used to it after some time but it was kind of lame. I dig the buttons. 

Man this Bass! Just me surprised here? haha. Bumping it listening to RHCP. So, this is my initial impression, but I am certainly a fan thus far. I will be using these tomorrow at work for sure and over the coming days, so I will have a much better idea of the prolonged comfortability and sound (hoping these improve even more with some burn in time). Has anyone noticed improved audio after X amount of time?

Thanks to everyone for answering my questions prior to this purchase.

Oct 6, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #3,202 of 3,671
So, after several hours of using them, can anyone comment on the pressure these put on your ears in active mode? I don't mean clamping or pressure from the ear pads but from the ANC....I'm assuming? It's more noticeable when I first put them on but I feel like I could tell after a long work day and having them on for a good percentage of the day. When leaving work I ALMOST felt like I had been on a plane or that my ears had to pop. I am not certain of this and will be able to tell a little better after today, but wanted to put that out there.....aside from that they have been great. 

Can anyone comment?

Oct 7, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #3,203 of 3,671
Hi,

I can buy a new Momentum wireless for a very good price (299 euro). However, I've read that there were problems with the bluetooth connection in the past. According to a colleague who has a new pair, these problems are solved in the newer batches.

Is this true, and if so, can I check the serial number to see if these are the newest version? (and real, not counterfeit...)

Also, it's confusing to hear people talk about the Momentum 2 wireless. As far as I can find, the newest wireless is not version 2. But maybe I'm wrong?

Thanks, Daan

Oct 7, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #3,204 of 3,671
Hi,

I can buy a new Momentum wireless for a very good price (299 euro). However, I've read that there were problems with the bluetooth connection in the past. According to a colleague who has a new pair, these problems are solved in the newer batches.

Is this true, and if so, can I check the serial number to see if these are the newest version? (and real, not counterfeit...)

Also, it's confusing to hear people talk about the Momentum 2 wireless. As far as I can find, the newest wireless is not version 2. But maybe I'm wrong?

Thanks, Daan

The second version is identified on the box as "REV02".

Oct 7, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #3,207 of 3,671
I think firmware update doesn't help. Let's someone who knows confirmed.

Considering Sennheiser took back REV01s when there were Bluetooth problems, I assume the fix was beyond a simple firmware update.

Oct 8, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #3,209 of 3,671
Momentum 2.0 (wired or wireless) vs HD-26 Pro

I have a pair of HD-26 Pro which I use for travelling with an Oppo HA-2 DAC. These seem like fine sounding and pretty indestructible headphones to me, although they could be a bit more comfy. Does anyone have any opinion on the relative sound quality and relative comfort of the new Momentums in comparison to HD-26 Pros? 

Oct 8, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #3,210 of 3,671
  Momentum 2.0 (wired or wireless) vs HD-26 Pro

I have a pair of HD-26 Pro which I use for travelling with an Oppo HA-2 DAC. These seem like fine sounding and pretty indestructible headphones to me, although they could be a bit more comfy. Does anyone have any opinion on the relative sound quality and relative comfort of the new Momentums in comparison to HD-26 Pros? 

Comfort is a personal issue but regarding sound, I find the M2 more accurate with better sound stage than the HD-26.
The M2 is not indestructible as I already had mine replaced when the paint peeled off.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back