Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Nov 14, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #2,432 of 3,671
Do the Momentum Wireless support AAC? I can't find that info on the Sennheiser website, and it's one of the things that is making VMODA Crossfade Wireless the current favourite for my money as it does specifically support AAC.

No they do not. 

A lot of what you say could be because of the Note 4 simply having better technology inside then the fact they use aptx too. I've noticed even with headphones that only have SBC that they often sound better on Note devices than iPhones. Aptx does seem make a difference to most people but it does vary depending on which version of SBC the heaphones support. Often it isn't really noticeable if the headphones are using high quality SBC or if they support AAC and you are using an Apple device.

I'm sure this is true. I just wish you could actively switch AptX on/off to demo the sound differences. That would solve a lot of questions for sure IMO.

Nov 15, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #2,434 of 3,671
Regarding the bumping noise some of you have reported when riding on buses:

That was interesting.... I haven't been on a bus yet with my Momentum 2 AEBT's yet. I've noticed something else. When in wired mode, the cable scraping against my jacket transfers the sound into the headphone. I have to stabilize the cable so it doesn't move. Maybe lots of headphones do this? I don't know. I was using the Bose QC20 earbuds for a long time before changing the Senn's but this never happened with the Bose. A possible factor: I am using a Moon-Audio Silver Dragon cable which are stiffer than copper and don't have that much plastic sheathing. Could be that.

Nov 15, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #2,435 of 3,671
I'm sure this is true. I just wish you could actively switch AptX on/off to demo the sound differences. That would solve a lot of questions for sure IMO.

There is actually a workaround way to do it though you would need to be a hardcore tester or happen to have/need the devices required. You basically need an Avantree Priva or probably any bluetooth adapter that supports multipoint and two bluetooth headphones. With the Priva it allows you to connect 1 device in SBC/aptx/aptx LL but only SBC for multipoint (connect 2 devices at same time). So if you are listening to music using an aptx headphone then decided to connect a second device to the Priva it will drop the quality of the headphones currently connected. Since I bought a Priva II recently I have tried this technique a few times (Giogio's idea which I improvised with) and it has worked. Can notice straight away a drop in sound quality (for most devices), see lip sync issues suddenly appear in movies and also notice an improvement in bluetooth connection/less dropouts for some devices when the headphones shift to SBC. Note though that the newer Priva II supports aptx (not aptx LL) in multipoint so it has only worked when my second headphones don't support aptx.

Nov 15, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #2,436 of 3,671
  No they do not. 

As far as I know it doesn't. Not sure if it was confirmed by anyone though.

Thanks both. I thought so. I will try to find them in store somewhere to test with my iPhone directly as my ears may not notice, but the lack of AAC suggests to me that the M2 wireless may be better with android devices that support aptX.

Nov 15, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #2,437 of 3,671
Hello! Hoping someone can help me out with this problem.

I have my Momentum Wireless connected to my desktop through a bluetooth dongle (Logilink, supporting apt-x and 4.0 class 1).

Under playback in windows, i get 2 output devices:
http://puu.sh/lmlOg/d9846aa7e1.png

AEBT-stereo sounds right, and is the one i usually use. But when the microphone is active, it doesn't work. Be it in a skype call, if i go to the record tab under sound, or skype settings.

So i have to use the Hands-free when i want to talk to people, and that sounds... wierd..
When the microphone is active, i'm pretty sure it sends the sound from around me into the headset aswell.. So i hear everything in this wierd tone.

Any ideas? How can i fix this, let me know if you need me to elaborate more.

Nov 15, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #2,438 of 3,671
Thanks both. I thought so. I will try to find them in store somewhere to test with my iPhone directly as my ears may not notice, but the lack of AAC suggests to me that the M2 wireless may be better with android devices that support aptX.

There is a good chance the Momentum Wireless will sound better with Android devices but that doesn't mean it will sound bad with iPhones. I don't recall any serious complaints regarding sound quality with iPhones on this thread. Most complaints were regarding bluetooth connectivity which has now been fixed. In any case unless you also have an Android device that you will use with the headphones regularly as well you are unlikely to even notice if they sound worse with iPhones in the long run.

Nov 15, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #2,439 of 3,671
There is a good chance the Momentum Wireless will sound better with Android devices but that doesn't mean it will sound bad with iPhones. I don't recall any serious complaints regarding sound quality with iPhones on this thread. Most complaints were regarding bluetooth connectivity which has now been fixed. In any case unless you also have an Android device that you will use with the headphones regularly as well you are unlikely to even notice if they sound worse with iPhones in the long run.

Agree the Bluetooth issues seem to have been the main issue and should be resolved now. I've not seen any specific complaints re iPhone usage either, but was just curious as to whether the lack of AAC support would make a difference.

I did test my iPhone in store with a Momentum 2.0 wired headphone yesterday. I thought it sounded pretty good, very balanced, but personally prefer the sound from my current iPhone / V-MODA M80 combination. As I now want over-ear and wireless I've decided to opt for the new V-MODA Crossfade Wireless on the basis of my previous experience of V-MODA sound and the early reviews seem very positive both wired and wireless. It doesn't have the active noise cancelling of the Sennheiser wireless, but I think the noise isolation will be sufficient for my usage.

Nov 16, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #2,440 of 3,671
Hey guys, does the clamping force reduce a little over time?  Is it possible to stretch out the headband a tad to be less tight?  I have a rather big head and find that the clamping bothers me after a while :)

Thanks heaps
zambz

Nov 17, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #2,441 of 3,671
Just registered to leave my 2cents.

Ordered both the black and ivory cans last weekend when new stock arrived here. The black one had rev2 on the box and is produced in week 38. The ivory one had rev1 on the box but is produced in week 43. I tested both for 2 days with an iPhone 6 but had zero dropouts with both of them. I like the ivory color better so maybe the box story has some merit to it.

Nov 17, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #2,442 of 3,671
Just registered to leave my 2cents.

Ordered both the black and ivory cans last weekend when new stock arrived here. The black one had rev2 on the box and is produced in week 38. The ivory one had rev1 on the box but is produced in week 43. I tested both for 2 days with an iPhone 6 but had zero dropouts with both of them. I like the ivory color better so maybe the box story has some merit to it.

May I ask how did you check what week they were produced?

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #2,444 of 3,671
I picked up a pair on Friday from the Best Buy at Alderwood Mall (in WA); the box shows "REV02" ... and that's directly printed on the box. Serial number starts with: 0375

Genuinely surprised at how these things sound and how little difference there is when active or passive. Far better than anything else I've heard that way and a very agreeable and musical presentation overall. Bass may be a tad warm, brushes on cymbals are a little recessed (compared to a Mojo or ALO Int+ OE driving LCD-2.2c, HE-500 and SE846), top-end isn't harsh at all).

Comfort is very good and the ANC is pretty close to the QC25 (musically I like these FAR better than the Bose).

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #2,445 of 3,671
1 week ago, I received my Momentum Wireless Ivory replacement from Sennheiser Germany after having shipped the original defective unit about 1 month ago.

I’ve been testing it extensively for several hours with the headphones mostly connected to my Mac. Here's my observations:

Test set up:
- Replacement package says REV01
- Serial number starts with 0435 (defective unit started with 0135)
- Been testing it with a 15” MacBook Pro 2012 (non-retina), Mac OS 10.11.1
- The MacBook is also paired with an Apple Wireless keyboard and Magic Trackpad (both are bluetooth peripherals)
- I also have it paired with my iPhone 6 at the same time, which in its turn is paired with a Pebble watch (bluetooth)
- Judging from the above, I’d say I’m near a worst case scenario in terms of susceptibility to bluetooth interference :)
- I plan to use the headphones mostly at home, so I didn’t go out to test them and cannot verify other types of usage reports (interference near traffic lights, thumps from bumps, etc.)

With the above setup, the defective unit I shipped back would have easily failed with constant stuttering/crackling of sound and occasional drop-outs. By easily, I mean I’d get crackling sound roughly at least once per minute.

Results with replacement in my home setting:
- No issues when using the iPhone as the source, even with the Pebble watch paired
- I can confirm on Mac OS it still defaults the connection to SBC instead of AptX. Turning off BT > turning on BT > disconnecting other Bluetooth peripherals (Apple wireless keyboard and trackpad) > reconnecting headphones will now connect with AptX, just like the experience described in http://www.head-fi.org/t/749606/sennheiser-momentum-2-0-and-wireless/2370#post_12018224
- With the other 2 bluetooth peripherals paired, the replacement will sometimes stutter/crackle, but way less than before. At most it happens once or twice an hour, with the SBC codec, if it happens at all. With AptX, it may happen 3 or 4 times, at most, in the same hour, again if it happens at all.
- If the other 2 bluetooth peripherals are disconnected (but the headphones remains paired with the iPhone at the same time), then I managed to get 2 straight hours with zero drop-outs, with AptX. I didn’t test for longer because I don’t listen to music more hours in a row than that, but the tendency here seems clear and it’s a good one.

The problem of defaulting to SBC instead of AptX feels to me like a separate issue, don’t think it’s related to the headphones themselves. It may very well be that with 2 other bluetooth devices paired at the same time, the bandwidth of the MacBook’s bluetooth module becomes nearly exhausted and Mac OS defaults to using a codec that requires less bandwidth to prevent it from actually getting exhausted (and maintain minimum acceptable performance for all peripherals).

So it seems that even if a replacement says REV01 in the box, it may very well contain a new fixed (or at least improved) unit and prove that what counts is the manufacturing date, not whether it says REV01 or REV02. This has been suggested previously by zandian in http://www.head-fi.org/t/749606/sennheiser-momentum-2-0-and-wireless/2355#post_12012634?

In conclusion - it seems the folks at Sennheiser did the trick!

P.S. For those Sennheiser representatives monitoring the issue, here’s some feedback about the RMA process: After I shipped the defective unit, within a whole month I never got any interactions or acknowledgements that you received the shipment and I also was not notified that a new unit had been shipped to me. Even though I’m sure you resolved the issue within the shortest amount of time possible, I was totally in the dark - that didn’t feel to me like proper care from customer service to reassure me that you were taking care of such an expensive problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back