Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
May 8, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #1,816 of 3,671
Seems like Sennheiser are contradicting themselves in those responses... They don't know what's going on, they're stopping all sales, but they can still somehow manage to find out if your headset is affected and replace it with one that isn't? Yet everyone I've read about who's done that has the same issues with the replacement headset...

Sounds like they're trying to talk themselves out of a full recall.

Indeed.  Some more official confirmation would be good.  If I were a retailer, I'd be particularly annoyed by this, as I'd be the point of contact for complaints.  However, that said, it is the first encouraging recognition of the problem that many of us have been talking about on this forum.  Now, if they sort the BT issues, perhaps that will sort the ANC issues I had, as the two are connected (no pun intended).  If so, I could see myself reconsidering M2 wireless ownership.

May 8, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #1,817 of 3,671
Hi everyone, 

We are currently seeing single cases in which the Bluetooth connection of the MOMENTUM Wireless is not working properly. We are taking these cases seriously. To our current state of knowledge, only a very small percentage of produced units are affected. If you bought a product and you are under the impression that the Bluetooth connection of your headphones does not work 100 per cent issue-free, please send an email to support-service@sennheiser.com.  As we want to make sure that every single unit is up to our high quality standards, we will do a case-by-case-review and fix the issue, if applicable. 

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
May 8, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #1,818 of 3,671
@Rosmadi Mahmood Thanks for the update!

I got my first set of Momentum Wireless a few weeks back, and had them replaced because the connection was really bad. I then got a second pair which seemed better, but still not great. I ended up keeping them because I like them a lot despite the issues.

I've been meaning to come back and give a follow up review so here it is:

For me the Momentum Wireless are 3 types of headphones in one: noise cancelling, good wired headphones and Bluetooth.

All of these have issues, but together it's a decent pair of headphones. I'd say they are even good, but they are not good value unless you need several of those categories.

As wired headphones they are good. And the added feature of ANC is nice in this mode. (And that they can be used passively.) However they are really expensive for what you get if you only intend to use them wired.

The ANC is pretty good too. Personally I like that it doesn't have a strong "ear pop" effect and the ANC is a bit less aggressive. The problem is that they don't handle physical bumps well. If you are travelling in a bus and it goes over some bumps in the road the headphones "pop" which can be annoying. On my commute this happens perhaps once or twice so it's not a big deal for me. But during a weekend trip it was happening all-the-time at a particular stretch of road on a municipal bus and that would just make them unusable if that was something that I had happening during my normal commute.

All in all, the ANC is good; but with some flaws.

Finally there is Bluetooth. And that's just not good. It seems a bit like the new headphones I got are better then the first pair. But they are still not "acceptable" as Bluetooth headphones if you are walking around with them outside. I've been using Bluetooth headsets during commutes and "walk around" for close to 10 years now. And these are *by far* the worst I have ever used.

I expect (as a minimum) that I can use a pair of Bluetooth headphones with my phone in my pocket regardless of where I am. Even with the phone in the best possible position (front right pocket in my experience) I still get cut-outs when walking around outdoors. In particular it happens a lot when I'm waiting at a zebra crossing when there's a lot of traffic. It's quite often that the signal cuts out a bit in that situation. It's also quite frequent that the signal cuts out when I look over my right shoulder (to cross a road).

If I put my phone in a less ideal pocket then the headphones become borderline unusable.

I have also noticed that the cut-outs happen more if I listen to music. (Usually I do that with downloaded Spotify music.) When I'm listening to podcasts it doesn't seem to happen as much.

All in all for me they were worth it for me. But with a lot of caveats. I really like the headphones in general and they have nice features and great sound. The Bluetooth issue is annoying but I can work around it for personal use even if I feel like I shouldn't have to at this price. I'll get in contact with Sennheiser support and see if there is something they can do to help me out.

May 8, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #1,819 of 3,671
I was planning on getting the M2 in the next couple of weeks. But I think I will hold off now until the BT issues have been sorted out. I wonder what sort of time frame they are lookin at to get this resolved.

I know a few people have also said that they have ANC problems as well. I wonder if this has also been identified by Sennheiser and if it will be fixed.

May 8, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #1,820 of 3,671

We are currently seeing single cases in which the Bluetooth connection of the MOMENTUM Wireless is not working properly. We are taking these cases seriously. To our current state of knowledge, only a very small percentage of produced units are affected. If you bought a product and you are under the impression that the Bluetooth connection of your headphones does not work 100 per cent issue-free, please send an email to support-service@sennheiser.com.  As we want to make sure that every single unit is up to our high quality standards, we will do a case-by-case-review and fix the issue, if applicable. 

Is this support email address for both US and EU customers? Does this mean we can skip the retail chain in our support cases?

May 8, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #1,821 of 3,671
I can't really go into depth as to how or why I was able to get a deal this good as I don't want to get into trouble but I was able to get my hands on a brand new pair of Sennhesier Momentum 2.0s from a genuine reseller for AU$375. On one condition that I had to visit the store in Sydney. Which I got one of my friends who was already visiting his Nephew in Sydney to go in on my behalf. 

he should be coming back from Sydney tomorrow midday :) so I'm super excited!

Lets just say that some stores will try everything to get a sale :) 

$375 is a sweet deal, I could actually see myself buying a pair for that price.

May 8, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #1,822 of 3,671
  I can't really go into depth as to how or why I was able to get a deal this good as I don't want to get into trouble but I was able to get my hands on a brand new pair of Sennhesier Momentum 2.0s from a genuine reseller for AU$375. On one condition that I had to visit the store in Sydney. Which I got one of my friends who was already visiting his Nephew in Sydney to go in on my behalf. 

he should be coming back from Sydney tomorrow midday :) so I'm super excited!

Lets just say that some stores will try everything to get a sale :) 

maybe you could send me private message regarding which store in sydney? as i live in this city :)

May 8, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #1,823 of 3,671
I was planning on getting the M2 in the next couple of weeks. But I think I will hold off now until the BT issues have been sorted out. I wonder what sort of time frame they are lookin at to get this resolved.

I know a few people have also said that they have ANC problems as well. I wonder if this has also been identified by Sennheiser and if it will be fixed.

Stock dried up on Amazon for the most part about a couple weeks ago so hopefully they are already a few weeks into analysis / redesign / etc. This is great news IMO as it was really the only glaring flaw for me personally.

May 8, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #1,824 of 3,671

Just got off the phone with Sennheiser support.  They are indeed aware of this issue and it's currently under investigation at their HQ in Germany.  Per Scott in product support, they currently do not know what is causing the issue(s).   He told me not to bother sending them into service as their is not an ETA of when they will be fixed.  They are not able to send a replacement as they are currently OOS as demand far exceeded supply.  They are expecting a new batch in 30-45 days.  I requested and was granted an advanced exchange so when they do come in they will ship out the replacement and I will ship mine back.  My thinking is the OOS is a front to buy them some time to figure out what the issue is so they can avoid a recall; since some folks are reporting that having the same issue(s) with replacements.

May 8, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #1,825 of 3,671
Well, according to the Gizmondo article:
 They also confirmed that they won’t be delivering any new units until the problem is fixed

So regardless of wether they would be out of stock or not, they wouldn't be delivering new units.

Though he doesn't quote his sources, seems the various affiliated support people like to give out different answers.

May 8, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #1,826 of 3,671
It's for IEMs, but there is this: http://nobleaudio.jp/en/shop/wireless/

Thanks, yeah, we lately talked of it on my comparison thread. There are also quite a lot of other ones like the noble. For example the Avantree Clipper. The noble is much more expensive, difficult to say if due to real better dac or just name.
But it is the kind of rx where you plug headphones in, not the kind you plug directly in the hole of headphones which have a detachable cable.
For that there only is the Miccus and the coming soon btunes (which is sexier than the miccus but still not small enough to me).
I just can't have wires hanging around, so i would eventually go for btunes.
But as you can read in http://www.head-fi.org/t/601665/what-are-head-fi-members-views-on-apt-x-lossless-codec-over-bluetooth/225#post_11580402, I've suggested something to Avantree, which i think could become the most sold bt receiver ever. Maybe you can give your thoughts.
I really like Avantree, they are so enthusiast, and nice with customers.

Seems like Sennheiser are contradicting themselves.
Sounds like they're trying to talk themselves out of a full recall.

Maybe, but i don't think they would ever try to escape from the problem.
I think that eventually they would try to avoid a general panic which would cause everybody wanting a replacement, even those who don't have the problem.
I think that it's pointless to call everything back, considering that not many people have this problem (you must think that in the forums you'll always find more negative than positive comments in these cases, because it's those with problems who more look in forums if other people have that problem too. So, here it seems that it's a huge problem, but it isn't).
I think the best solution would be producing a new batch which completely excludes the possibility of this problem, and starting to sell it without calling the first batch back, of course offering the new one as replacement to those who experience the problem and contact the support.

We are currently seeing single cases in which the Bluetooth connection of the MOMENTUM Wireless is not working properly

I can confirm what you say. Apart for the fact that I don't have the problem, and that other people in this thread do not have it, the seller where i bought the M2AEBT and OEBT to be able to review them and suggest them (sorry, i couldn't wait) told me that he had received 3 or 4 back of more than 100.
My personal opinion, or "supposition", is that there are not "defect units and good units". ALL units are the same. This is why replacing them changes nothing.
The reason why some people do not have this problem is, probably, because this problem needs specific "starters" to appear, specific conditions. Like, big City, zone full of wifi signal, open air.

That's also why I personally find the article on Gizmodo a bit too dramatic, apocalyptic, and somehow unfair.
You do not throw mud on one of the very best BT Headphones on the market saying that "it only works with wire".
That's a tabloid exaggeration.
There are lot of people out there who are perfectly satisfied with the M2AEBT.
The fact that something does not work for you does NOT mean that "it does not work".
Generalizing brings nowhere.

May 8, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #1,827 of 3,671
Adam from Gizmodo here. I was testing the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless headphones for a potential review and spotted a defect. After alerting the company, Sennheiser acknowledged it, and the company has stopped shipping the headsets. If you have an affected unit, contact Sennheiser. In the meantime, there are more details in my post:

http://gizmodo.com/sennheisers-new-wireless-headphones-only-work-well-with-1702879729

Thanks for taking a look!
Adam

Adam Clark Estes
Senior Writer, Gizmodo

t. @adamclarkestes
e. adam@gizmodo.com

May 8, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #1,829 of 3,671
Just got off the phone with Sennheiser support.  They are indeed aware of this issue and it's currently under investigation at their HQ in Germany.  Per Scott in product support, they currently do not know what is causing the issue(s).   He told me not to bother sending them into service as their is not an ETA of when they will be fixed.  They are not able to send a replacement as they are currently OOS as demand far exceeded supply.  They are expecting a new batch in 30-45 days.  I requested and was granted an advanced exchange so when they do come in they will ship out the replacement and I will ship mine back.  My thinking is the OOS is a front to buy them some time to figure out what the issue is so they can avoid a recall; since some folks are reporting that having the same issue(s) with replacements.

4 different pair for me from 4 different stock. All had BT issues. I dont buy it.

May 8, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #1,830 of 3,671

Adam from Gizmodo here.

Hello Adam, nice to see you here :)
As I wrote in the post right above yours, which I have actually just edited before even noticing that you had posted here, I believe you are not being really fair with your article.
Titles/claims like "it only works well with wires", which seem those tabloid titles to attract attention at the expenses of deep objectivity, damage not only Sennheiser, but the users too, at least those who could enjoy this amazing headphone without the problems you had.

The fact that where you live you have this problem, and that in this thread there is mostly a collection of negative experiences (like almost always when there is an occasional problem: only people with the problem search in internet for other people with whom they can share their frustration), does surely not mean that the M2AEBT "only work with wire".

I think it would be more objective if you tell things as they are really: there are some conditions needed for this problem to occur. Foreseeably walking on a populated zone of a big city full of wifi signals, like Manhattan of whatever people said here.
Letting people believe that if they buy these headphones they will definitely have this problem, it is not true.

Maybe they will, maybe they will not.
People should decide by themselves. If where they live the conditions for this problem are not there, they would get one of the most amazing BT Headphones on the market at the moment and be very happy.
If they buy and have the problem, they can always send back.

This, would be a more objective way to tell things.
Imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back