Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
May 4, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #1,771 of 3,671
  So I just had a good ling audition of the M2 AEBT's (wired) and the Shure 1540's.

The M2 wired are said to sound much better than the M2 bt in wired mode.
You should have rather compared the wired version of the M2 with those shure, if you are so sure you will never use the BT.

What I am not sure about is how the USB DAC sound of the M2AEBT would compare with the wired M2...
ANYBODY?

May 4, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #1,772 of 3,671

Interesting that you feel most headphones seem to have stronger bass when ANC is deactivated. Most of the ones I've tested (both wired and wireless) seem to have boosted bass when the ANC is activated. Though most of my tests were with older headphones, back when sound with ANC wasn't as refined. Of the newer ones the Momentum had stronger bass when unpowered and The Symphony 1 had weaker bass when unpowered and with ANC deactivated but powered.

Plantronic, Samsung, BeoPlay, Sennheiser MM550-X. Those are the ones I have tried, where you can deactivate the ANC.
There the bass is definitely less present when the ANC is active.
About the wired vs bt sound, in that case almost all if not all Headphones which I have tested have a boomier bass in wired mode.
I am testing the ones you know I have here now, and all of them have a boomier bass (or much boomier bass) when wired. And have problems in balancind that boomy bass with other frequencies, so that finally the wired sound is a bit, bleah.
The Plantronics have in wired amped with ANC on almost the same sound of bt mode with anc off, but still boomier and with some imprecision on the bass.
The Beoplay had also a nicer sound with ANC on, in wired mode (where their boosted bass was even more boosted).

You basically asked two questions in the same sentence; if people with large heads also have problems with seal, and then wether the effect of thin bass caused by lack of seal is also affected/boosted by the ANC.
I replied to the first part of your question, and simply said I have no idea about the 2nd part of your question, since I would never use them unpowered anyway because of the bloated bass. Yes, I am aware that you can disable ANC separately on _other_ headphones, but I fail to see the relevance.

I think I'll leave your suggested test to someone else...

Sure, no problem, I know that moving the head with engaging music is not the style of northern people :D (kidding)
But it was one question, bro.
"does anybody else have this of the clamping force on the M2AEBT not being enough to make the earpads seal perfectly when chewing or moving the head forward and back or right and left (like when you listen to engaging music and you just cannot avoid moving the head), so that finally the bass on bassheavy tracks like this would distort because the leak of bass makes the ANC go crazy?
I am curious to know if it is a problem which at least people with big heads would not have."

"it" = bad seal when chewing leads to bass distortion.
I did not ask if the seal on big heads is good. I have asked it the seal on big heads WHEN cheawing AND/OR moving the head like "**** yeah!" is good or if there is distortion (distortion = bad seal and ANC going crazy with bass).

About the unpowered sound, I do not find it boomier than the wired powered. To my ears the only difference between wired unpowered and wired powered is not the bass (which is 10% th same way too boomy bass) but a way better management of the other frequencies in the wired powered mode, although also those other frequencies sound way too boosted to my ears in that mode, compared to the beautiful, refined, smooth sound of the bt mode.
The wired powered mode remembers me of the BeoPlay H8 with their boosted upper mids.

About the relevance of the possibility to deactivate the ANC you may have missed the explanation of the reason why this distortion happens: it happens because when people chew or move the head the bass leaks due to the bad sealing and the ANC goes in conflict because tries to eliminate that bass, producing an antibass which will also leak and this is a loop and there is distortion.
It is in part a theory because what EXACTLY happens I do not know it, but it is a fact that it is due to the ANC, because I could reproduce it on the Plantronics when I lift the earpads with ANC active (anc not active = no problem).
So, I was pointing at the fact that to avoid this problem Senny should have made the ANC deactivable.

May 4, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #1,773 of 3,671
I don't really get your question, what do you mean by "ANC going crazy"? And if you mean "reducing the bass", which is how I interpreted your first post, how could people know if the thin bass is caused just by the lack of seal itself, or some ANC feedback loop?

Anyway, a Sennheiser rep has already stated in this thread that an ANC off toggle feature is never going to happen for the M2. I guess they use some sort of integrated hybrid BT/ANC chip.

May 4, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #1,774 of 3,671
  I don't really get your question, what do you mean by "ANC going crazy"?

In the case of the Momentum I am not talking of a lesser amount of bass due to ANC. That was referred to other ANC headphones where the ANC can be deactivated.

Let me explain the problem again.
The problem is a distortion on bass heavy tracks like the one which I have linked before, but it actually happens with ANY single possible bass heavy track. I have linked that one just because the bass all the time present, so you would notice the problem much easier.
The Problem appears when the seal is not good enough, for example if you do not place well the speakers around your ears, or when you chew or move the head a lot and a part of the earpads lifts, leaving a little space between your skin and the earpads, and letting the sound out.
You can force this leakage (just to understand what I am talking about) by simply wearing the headphones off while they are playing a bass heavy track with ANC active (= BT more or wired amped mode), or just even lifting one speaker a bit, like if you want to hear what somebody near you is telling you.

"ANC going crazy"= my supposition is that when the sound leaks, the ANC receives it through the microphones, and treats it as if it was external noise, producing "antiwaveform" to neutralize it.
And so the headphone will play at same time the music and the antimusic!
Matter + antimatter = no good.
If that was not enough, think that if the leakage is not just a brief moment but continuative, the mics would receive not only the music but also the antimusic, and would try to compensate all of that, which is what I meant with "going crazy".

This is probably only perceivable with heavy bass, because the ANC normally mostly reduces low frequency noise (turbines...).

Although I am not sure of the technical details about HOW this happens, I am sure it is related to ANC, because in wired unpowered mode it does not happen, and because I could reproduce the same problem on the Plantronics, by lifting the speaker away from my head a bit and letting the sound leak. When the ANC was off (you can turn it off there) = no distortion.
With ANC on = same distortion as on the Momentum.

Now, you may remember that one of the critics I have made to the BeoPlay H8 was a distortion on bass heavy tracks when the ANC was active and at max vol.
Now all is clear to me and that problem makes sense.
Obviously the H8 being on ear do not isolate sound so well, and when the vol is at max the mics of the headphone receive the bass and the ANC tries to antibass it, and there is this distortion.
There too, there was no distortion with ANC off.

:)

May 4, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #1,775 of 3,671

Yeh i found the 1r bass to often sound out of balance, it tended to have too much mid bass and not enough sub bass. The 1a fixes the sub bass issue but goes overboard with the mid bass imo. I found the momentums bass much better then both.

I've been looking at the pros and cons of both the Momentums 2.0's and the 1A's and I'm gonna go for the Momentum 2.0s. simply because for an extra $154 I get a pair of headphones that fold up, made out of better materials, more portable with it's sturdier case and to me a more of a true around the ear headphone.

I can get them from amazon.it for $396.45. it will not have warranty since it is imported from italy but I'm saving nearly $100 from Australias's RRP of $499 for the standard version. I could never imagine paying $499 for them. I may wait it out for a little while just in case I can snap it up for any cheaper but I essentially have all the money together to purchase it.  

is AU$399 a good price? 

May 4, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #1,776 of 3,671
  I've been looking at the pros and cons of both the Momentums 2.0's and the 1A's and I'm gonna go for the Momentum 2.0s. simply because for an extra $154 I get a pair of headphones that fold up, made out of better materials, more portable with it's sturdier case and to me a more of a true around the ear headphone.

I can get them from amazon.it for $396.45. it will not have warranty since it is imported from italy but I'm saving nearly $100 from Australias's RRP of $499 for the standard version. I could never imagine paying $499 for them. I may wait it out for a little while just in case I can snap it up for any cheaper but I essentially have all the money together to purchase it.  

is AU$399 a good price? 

Will Amazon Italy ship to Australia? It's not a bad price at all, what is the shipping cost on top of that? I have found getting items out of Europe is $$ compared to UK or US.

Please let us know how you go. Oh and a Link would be great.

Cheers,
Wormwood

May 4, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #1,777 of 3,671
  Will Amazon Italy ship to Australia? It's not a bad price at all, what is the shipping cost on top of that? I have found getting items out of Europe is $$ compared to UK or US.

Please let us know how you go. Oh and a Link would be great.

Cheers,
Wormwood

that's including postage brother with AmazonGlobal Priority shipping :) yeah surprisingly it will ship to Australia but amazon.de won't..which sucks cos it's going for EUR 282,99.

http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00RGH758U/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A11IL2PNWYJU7H

Let me know if this is a good enough deal to snatch up. I have seen it in the recent past going for $388 including shipping. 

May 4, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #1,778 of 3,671

is AU$399 a good price? 

Its a decent price but personally i would not risk having no warranty just to save $100. The 1A's are a proper over ear headphone the inside of the ear cups are just a bit more snug than the previous 1R model and about the same size and comfort as the m2 for me. The 1A's are also much better value at the moment imo, you can get them online with a warranty for around $250.

May 4, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #1,780 of 3,671
  Its a decent price but personally i would not risk having no warranty just to save $100. The 1A's are a proper over ear headphone the inside of the ear cups are just a bit more snug than the previous 1R model and about the same size and comfort as the m2 for me. The 1A's are also much better value at the moment imo, you can get them online with a warranty for around $250.

where have you seen the 1A's go for $250? 

I haven't seen them going for any less than $299.
I'd love to have warranty but $499 is still a lot of money when you start to think about what else you could spend that kind of money on. :/ 

After owning both the original Momentums and the 1A's I liked the Momentums more but not as much as the 1A's in terms of the comfort department and the interment sound stage. I believe the momenutm 2.0's have solved those issues for me. 

May 4, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #1,781 of 3,671
  where have you seen the 1A's go for $250? 

I haven't seen them going for any less than $299.
I'd love to have warranty but $499 is still a lot of money when you start to think about what else you could spend that kind of money on. :/ 

After owning both the original Momentums and the 1A's I liked the Momentums more but not as much as the 1A's in terms of the comfort department and the interment sound stage. I believe the momenutm 2.0's have solved those issues for me. 

Just do a quick google search and you should see them available online for around $250
http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com.au/sony-mdr-1a-premium-hi-res-stereo-headphone-silver.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=google&gclid=CjwKEAjwsZyqBRCT1aq6qcD53DQSJACcen4CVwHSZ-844MFeo-plSxnx1G2AfEV16bZb0yZaDIOWKxoCmbPw_wcB

The m2 is the better sounding headphone but like you i would rather not pay $499 for them.

May 4, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #1,782 of 3,671

Just do a quick google search and you should see them available online for around $250
http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com.au/sony-mdr-1a-premium-hi-res-stereo-headphone-silver.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=google&gclid=CjwKEAjwsZyqBRCT1aq6qcD53DQSJACcen4CVwHSZ-844MFeo-plSxnx1G2AfEV16bZb0yZaDIOWKxoCmbPw_wcB

ohhh places like eglobal and dwidigital. That's all grey imports, so you won't be getting any kindz of warranty when buying from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back