Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
May 3, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #1,756 of 3,671

It depends if you like the sony house sound. I found the mdr-1a's much too bassy and muddy sounding and the fact that are also quite dark sounding just did not suit my preferences at all. I quite liked the mdr-1r's but i found its bass reponse a bit lacking at times. I had hoped that they would fix this in the 1a's but they have gone a bit overboard for my tastes. I prefer the momentum sound over the sonys but for $245 the 1a's are much better value.

Its funny you say that because I actually found the mdr-1r's to be a little bit too much bass for me - and I like bass! I guess this goes to show that a lot of it just comes down to personal preference.

May 3, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #1,757 of 3,671

Its funny you say that because I actually found the mdr-1r's to be a little bit too much bass for me - and I like bass! I guess this goes to show that a lot of it just comes down to personal preference.

At least talking of wireless, the Momentum destroy the Sony 1RBT (old version) in little invisible miserable forgettable insignificant pieces.

For the rest, I recognize my own perception of the Sony Headphones in the words of @chailee80
I have tried 1RBT (old version), 10RBT, and XB950BT, and they all are muddy, dark, and with an artificially boosted bass (bloated quantity of questionable quality).

Talking of the perceived quantity, I suppose it depends not only on the personal tastes, but also on the music you listen to.

May 3, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #1,758 of 3,671
Sorry if this has been asked before, but where can we find replacement ear pads for the M2? I can't seem to find this on the Sennheiser site, I've only found one aftermarket one but it doesn't even have a picture and it's very pricey (~50 UK pounds).

May 3, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #1,759 of 3,671
  Yes, yes they are!

The cable with the inline remote is the ridiculously expensive one, at almost the price of a new Momentum On-Ear 1.0 on Amazon.

Yeah.. I ended up just ordering the 1.0 version to go with the 2.0. I preferred the old controls which were less "plasticky", and as a bonus point I get the flexible tip at the end.

May 3, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #1,762 of 3,671
So, for statistical researches, does anybody else have this of the clamping force on the M2AEBT not being enough to make the earpads seal perfectly when chewing or moving the head forward and back or right and left (like when you listen to engaging music and you just cannot avoid moving the head), so that finally the bass on bassheavy tracks like this would distort because the leak of bass makes the ANC go crazy?
I am curious to know if it is a problem which at least people with big heads would not have. So I can know that I can suggest the M2AEBT to the bassheads with big head.

May 3, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #1,763 of 3,671

Yeh i found the 1r bass to often sound out of balance, it tended to have too much mid bass and not enough sub bass. The 1a fixes the sub bass issue but goes overboard with the mid bass imo. I found the momentums bass much better then both.

May 3, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #1,764 of 3,671
Really disappointed. I just got my pair and I think they're defective. They're not working in passive wired mode and neither are they even switching on.When I put them to charging,they give a weird clicking sound from the left cup and a purple led flashes repeatedly, and the led correctly indicates the charging level. Had anybody else faced this problem? FYI I ordered these through a relative,I don't live in the US.

May 4, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #1,765 of 3,671
  Sorry if this has been asked before, but where can we find replacement ear pads for the M2? I can't seem to find this on the Sennheiser site, I've only found one aftermarket one but it doesn't even have a picture and it's very pricey (~50 UK pounds).

It looks like Sennheiser haven't included spare parts for the newer models like the Momentum Wireless ear pads on their website just yet. It will come soon enough I think, and probably cheaper than what custom cable is charging.

May 4, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #1,766 of 3,671
So, for statistical researches, does anybody else have this of the clamping force on the M2AEBT not being enough to make the earpads seal perfectly when chewing or moving the head forward and back or right and left (like when you listen to engaging music and you just cannot avoid moving the head), so that finally the bass on bassheavy tracks like this would distort because the leak of bass makes the ANC go crazy?
I am curious to know if it is a problem which at least people with big heads would not have. So I can know that I can suggest the M2AEBT to the bassheads with big head.

I have a 61cm head, and the clamping is not more than what it should be. I some times wear them with sunglasses on my commute, and I find that the leather pads remember the glasses so that the seal is not perfect when I remove them again. They sound thin when not fully sealed. I have no idea if that is an ANC effect, I would never use them unpowered anyway because of the exaggerated bass in that mode.

As a side note, I tried the M1 on-ear in a store, where they had mounted the headphones on display on a fairly large glass head replica, resulting in the head band being bent too loose over time. The seal was bad and the sound was horrible, way too thin. If I clamped them with my hands the sound totally changed.

It looks like Sennheiser haven't included spare parts for the newer models like the Momentum Wireless ear pads on their website just yet. It will come soon enough I think, and probably cheaper than what custom cable is charging.

In one of the early posts in this thread, someone asks Sennheiser if there will be larger replacement earned available. The customer rep. didn't pick up on "larger", and replied that there will be normal replacement pads available, and I think the RRP quoted was $74. So don't get your hopes up.

May 4, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #1,767 of 3,671
Really disappointed. I just got my pair and I think they're defective.  FYI I ordered these through a relative,I don't live in the US.

**** happens. You are not alone :D I am apparently a magnet for defect units.
So, do not judge daddy Senny for that. The M2are an amazing headphone overall. At least the Wireless, among wireless.
What do you mean with ordered through relative? That you cannot get a replacement?

I have a 61cm head, and the clamping is not more than what it should be. They sound thin when not fully sealed. I have no idea if that is an ANC effect, I would never use them unpowered anyway because of the exaggerated bass in that mode.

If you refer to the fact that I asked why didn't Senny make the ANC so that it can be deactivated, I would not call that "unpowered". Unpowered would be wired with amp turned off. But wired with amp turned on and ANC turned off (like you can on the Plantronics, the BeoPlay, the Phiaton, and I think the Samsung too) it is not umpowered.
Although I must also say that in most headphones which I have tried (if not in all of them) the bass is stronger when the ANC is not active.
Take the Plantronics, I believe that most people who could find them too bassy with the ANC off would find them ok of just slightly boosted with ANC on.

Anyway, if you have them, could you please do the test with that Balloons track I have linked? You could actually use any other bass heavy track like Beez in the Trap or other bassy/subbassy basshead hiphop tracks or even Royals by Lorde, but I have linked that one because the bass is constant, so it is easier to notice the problem.

Listen to that, and chew in the while, and move your head like you are feeling "**** yeah! this is ******* german techno! let's dance baby!". You know, all forward and all back, like if you want to reach somebody to kiss her (or avoid being kissed), and also down and up like if you want to look at how fast are your feet dancing, or up, at how slow are the stars moving compared to you.
And right and left, and now breath deep, that's it, and again, one, two
ok, sorry, that was too much, I was watching Jane Fonda in the while so I was carried away.

Let me know how the test goes! YOu can boost the bass with EQ to make it more noticeable.

May 4, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #1,768 of 3,671

If you refer to the fact that I asked why didn't Senny make the ANC so that it can be deactivated, I would not call that "unpowered". Unpowered would be wired with amp turned off. But wired with amp turned on and ANC turned off (like you can on the Plantronics, the BeoPlay, the Phiaton, and I think the Samsung too) it is not umpowered.
Although I must also say that in most headphones which I have tried (if not in all of them) the bass is stronger when the ANC is not active.
Take the Plantronics, I believe that most people who could find them too bassy with the ANC off would find them ok of just slightly boosted with ANC on.

Interesting that you feel most headphones seem to have stronger bass when ANC is deactivated. Most of the ones I've tested (both wired and wireless) seem to have boosted bass when the ANC is activated. Though most of my tests were with older headphones, back when sound with ANC wasn't as refined. Of the newer ones the Momentum had stronger bass when unpowered and The Symphony 1 had weaker bass when unpowered and with ANC deactivated but powered.

May 4, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #1,769 of 3,671

(...)

Anyway, if you have them, could you please do the test with that Balloons track I have linked? 

You basically asked two questions in the same sentence; if people with large heads also have problems with seal, and then wether the effect of thin bass caused by lack of seal is also affected/boosted by the ANC.
I replied to the first part of your question, and simply said I have no idea about the 2nd part of your question, since I would never use them unpowered anyway because of the bloated bass. Yes, I am aware that you can disable ANC separately on _other_ headphones, but I fail to see the relevance.

I think I'll leave your suggested test to someone else...

May 4, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #1,770 of 3,671
So I just had a good ling audition of the M2 AEBT's (wired) and the Shure 1540's.

I had already decided I would hardly ever use the wireless on the M2's because from my laptop i'll take the sound from my USB DAC, and apparently the iPhone 6+ doesn't support BT to the right fidelity level, so kind of misses the point.

The ANC might well have been useful, but really it was about the overall sound quality for me.

First off, the Shure were MUCH more comfortable. Almost as soon as you put them on, you could almost forget they were there. The M2's weren't uncomfortable, but I was just much more aware they were there, compared to the Shure's.

As for the sound. I went back & forth a hundred times, listening to music from Mahler to Miles, Steely Dan to Stravinsky, Joni to Jaco. etc.

M2s: Much brighter, more presence, a liveness, (a bit louder, also) but - at times - a thinness, hollowness in the mids.

1540's: Generally more even in tone. On immediate comparison to the M2's it almost seemed as though they were missing an 'edge' that the M2's had, but after just a few moments I had the sense these would a more satisfying long term listening experience. That the M2's brightness could get tiring quite quickly, and that the slight weakness in the mids would gnaw away at me and frustrate me. To paraphrase Joe Zawinul: 'hey man, mids are everything' - thats where the voice is, where the harmony is, where the cello is.

So, although there were lots of things pulling me towards the M2's, in the end I bought the Shure's. And walking back from the store, I had absolutely no sense of missing any brightness or top end. Just a lovely, beautifully balanced even, generous and detailed sound. With about 1 hour of listening so far, I'm happy :wink:

It's a very personal choice, but I just thought I'd let you know my experience and decision.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back