Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
May 1, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #1,711 of 3,671
Talking from my own experiences, you might try the Sony MDR-10RBT.  JL sell them.  Considerably cheaper (sadly, also in look and feel) than the M2s, but very comfortable to wear and excellent BT connection.  You might want to listen to them - they do not have the same fidelity as the M2s, but they are a good set of headphones.  

You might also try the Sennheiser Urbanite XL wireless, which I now have.  My first pair had stuttering just like the M2s, but the current pair do not.  No ANC (which I did not find effective on the M2s anyway) and you may want to check you like the styling before buying.  Great BT and wired performance, and a good sound signature - darker sounding than the M2s (less rich and less airy), but still an engaging and enjoyable listen.

Both of these recommendations are over-ear headphones. If you're looking for on ear wireless phones, sorry, no experience of any.  The B&O H8s are even more expensive than the M2s, (by £20), but may do the trick?  

May 1, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #1,712 of 3,671
Someone wanted more opinions on the wired M2. My new pair of the wired arrived, which will make my 2nd pair. There was nothing wrong with the first pair I only returned them because I received a great deal on the wireless M2 and thought I would get the same awesome wired sound and have the ability to do BT as well when needed or wanted. I want to say that the wired M2 is just a joy in all ways compared to the wireless version. Comparing these to wired mode passive in the BT version. The bass is much more controlled, the creamy Sennheiser mids shine through with great detail and the treble is so improved over the original Momentum. The overall tuning is a great improvement. I found the wireless M2 very uncontrolled and boomy in bass and caused confusion in the mids. The tuning with the wired M2 creates a wonderful soundstage because of the improved treble and deeper earcups compared the the original. I think the negativity that Sennheiser has created with the BT version is a shame because they have a really improved and sweet sounding product with the M2 and folks will definitely shy away and think they can get a better product for the price.  I shopped for my 2nd pair of wired M2's and found them for 250.00, to me at this price range it would be difficult to find a better product based on looks, build quality, sound signature and portability. These are a very good portable option.

May 1, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #1,714 of 3,671
  Talking from my own experiences, you might try the Sony MDR-10RBT.  JL sell them.  Considerably cheaper (sadly, also in look and feel) than the M2s, but very comfortable to wear and excellent BT connection.  You might want to listen to them - they do not have the same fidelity as the M2s, but they are a good set of headphones.  

You might also try the Sennheiser Urbanite XL wireless, which I now have.  My first pair had stuttering just like the M2s, but the current pair do not.  No ANC (which I did not find effective on the M2s anyway) and you may want to check you like the styling before buying.  Great BT and wired performance, and a good sound signature - darker sounding than the M2s (less rich and less airy), but still an engaging and enjoyable listen.

Both of these recommendations are over-ear headphones. If you're looking for on ear wireless phones, sorry, no experience of any.  The B&O H8s are even more expensive than the M2s, (by £20), but may do the trick?  

Thanks for the reply. I did try the Sony's but I will confess snobbery kicked in - they felt a bit plastic like the Beats did.
The urbanites are massive and to me look too masculine looking for me.  I think my search continues, and I'll stick with my Bose QC15s for now.

May 1, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #1,715 of 3,671
Anyone know how to get the voice prompt to tell you the battery level? The manual says "When the battery is almost completely empty or when the headphones are being charged, the LED lights up or flashes as indicated in the table below and a voice prompt announces the charge condition of the battery." I've tried and tried but can't get the voice part to work. 

May 1, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #1,716 of 3,671
  Anyone know how to get the voice prompt to tell you the battery level? The manual says "When the battery is almost completely empty or when the headphones are being charged, the LED lights up or flashes as indicated in the table below and a voice prompt announces the charge condition of the battery." I've tried and tried but can't get the voice part to work. 

Check the manual, page 19.
Basically 3 quick presses on the multi function button, but you can't do it when you are "on an active call or listening to music", i guess because they have used 3 presses for other functionality then (it is skip to previous song when in music mode, as far as I can remember).

May 1, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #1,717 of 3,671
  Check the manual, page 19.
Basically 3 quick presses on the multi function button, but you can't do it when you are "on an active call or listening to music", i guess because they have used 3 presses for other functionality then (it is skip to previous song when in music mode, as far as I can remember).

edit - oh my god. I've been pushing the power button like a chump.

May 1, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #1,718 of 3,671

edit - oh my god. I've been pushing the power button like a chump.

What the document doesn't mention, though is that you also have to be connected to a BT source to get the voice prompt. Merely turning them on but not connecting (to BT) will not do it. If you are wired, but ANC on, pressing this button will result in absolutely nothing from the woman inside...:)

May 2, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #1,719 of 3,671
Hi all - I am very close to buying a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 AEBT's (when I can find somewhere what has any stock!) but while I"m waiting for this, I have read about the Shure SRH1540, which get 'What Hi Fi's 'Best over ears over £300 2015', so am I wondering how they might compare. I haven't heard them yet.

Does anyone know both, and can compare them?

A few thoughts:
I had never really thought about wireless, and it wasn't on my requirements list, it's just Richer Sounds showed me a pair of M2 AEBT's, and I thought 'OK, that could be handy'

I also hadn't really thought about ANC - I've never had a pair with this, and my current paid are Klipsch in-ears - which I like very much - and they block out the noise pretty well by physically blocking the sound.

But I was impressed with the sound of the M2's (I tested them wired, to lossless audio on my iPhone 6+ from iTunes & Tidal), and they were better than my Klipsch's (which many other premium headphones I tried weren't.

But then I thought, 'how much am I paying for wireless?' if you take that away, the 'basic' headphone costs much less, and is this essentially the quality level? eg: If my budget is under £500, would I get better sound from a non-wireless pair that cost the same, or even a bit more, than the M2 AEBT's?

Are the Shure SRH1540's that better pair? They cost about the same, but all the money goes into the core sound of the headphones, not the wireless or the ANC.

On the other hand, maybe I really could benefit from ANC? It hasn't been a problem with my in-ear's, because, well, they're in ear! and block everything out. Tried a pair of £800 Grado's in a store recently (out of my budget, but just tried out of curiosity), and although they were good as far as I could tell, I couldn't tell much as there was so much other noise in the store I could hardly hear the phones.

So maybe ANC is important, and maybe for that reason alone the M2's are better than the Shure SRH1540's?

Anyway, I've written enough, just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on the above.

Thanks!

Mark

May 2, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #1,720 of 3,671
Sorry, I'm also worried about what I've read that with the wireless on iPhones the sound get's compressed at the iPhone end, which kind of defeats all my efforts to get to lossless sound! Is this really the case? bit of a downer if so...

May 2, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #1,721 of 3,671
The SBC codec that will be used when connecting to an iPhone has a max output of 345 kbps. Your flac files will be anywhere between 0 and 1411 kbps, depending on the amount of information in the music at the specific point in time. White noise is close to 1411 kbps I guess.

So yeah, you will lose some information in the music, but will you notice? Only your own ears can tell....

May 2, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #1,722 of 3,671
I have just tested the M2AEBT.
it is too early to write about them, but as I am in the middle of a big comparison of the top headphones of my list, I could immediately notice how they sound.
And they do indeed sound excellent to me.
The bass is nicely boosted, not too much (less than the Plantronics and I think less than the Fidelio, but I will write more later on). I think some people will prefer something more neutral. Not me :)
But I have noticed a problem, as I wrote in my thread.
Do you guys have that too? Bad seal and distortion of deep bass when chewind or moving the head?

May 2, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #1,723 of 3,671
I have just tested the M2AEBT.
it is too early to write about them, but as I am in the middle of a big comparison of the top headphones of my list, I could immediately notice how they sound.
And they do indeed sound excellent to me.
The bass is nicely boosted, not too much (less than the Plantronics and I think less than the Fidelio, but I will write more later on). I think some people will prefer something more neutral. Not me :)
But I have noticed a problem, as I wrote in my thread.
Do you guys have that too? Bad seal and distortion of deep bass when chewind or moving the head?

Hello, been inactive for a really long time now but decided to post since I'm currently in Germany and can get a pair of Momentum Wireless cans (which I cannot in my home country as of now).

Thing is, I've just purchased a pair of M2 wired cans. But I haven't opened them yet. I'm considering selling them and getting the Wireless version. My biggest cause for hesitation is the sonic differences that others have mentioned between the M2 wired and M2AEBT. I would really enjoy ANC but only if it doesn't detract from the SQ of the headphones.

Could you please please please do a comparison between the SQ of the M2AEBT using its in built DAC over USB versus the M2AEBT with an active WIRED connection versus the M2 Wired? Details would be very gladly appreciated.

PS I'll be leaving Germany in about 2 weeks unfortunately. Beautiful country.

May 2, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #1,724 of 3,671
Hello, been inactive for a really long time now but decided to post since I'm currently in Germany and can get a pair of Momentum Wireless cans (which I cannot in my home country as of now).

Thing is, I've just purchased a pair of M2 wired cans. But I haven't opened them yet. I'm considering selling them and getting the Wireless version. My biggest cause for hesitation is the sonic differences that others have mentioned between the M2 wired and M2AEBT. I would really enjoy ANC but only if it doesn't detract from the SQ of the headphones.

Could you please please please do a comparison between the SQ of the M2AEBT using its in built DAC over USB versus the M2AEBT with an active WIRED connection versus the M2 Wired? Details would be very gladly appreciated.

I did every conceivable comparison but that...I am sorry.  I certainly would not want to be a deciding factor in your decision, but there are sonic differences between the wired and wireless versions. You can see some of my previous posts for that. If you have any specific questions I will be glad to answer.

May 2, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #1,725 of 3,671

It's not going to be so easy to buy the wireless in Germany. It was not easy to me at least. Strangely, it is not so much available here. No idea why.
The comparison with the wired one is going to be complicated, but I can try. I do not have nor can I buy now a wired one, but I could next week go with my wireless ones in a shop where they have the wired, and see the difference.
But, I think you are asking yourself the wrong question.
The right question is not which one sounds better or better to you. Whatever of the two sounds "better" there will anyway be many others which sound much better. Which leads to the "best gadget syndrome".
The right question is, do you need a wireless headphone and or ANC? Because in that case, you can just take the wireless. They are very very good as Sound Quality.
The signature is almost perfect for my tastes. I can suppose that some people may want a bit less bass out of the box, but they sound very balanced and clean and quite transparent to me.
Anyway. yes, i will do my best.
I would appreciate if you can tell me which kind of signature you tend to prefer, so that I can make a quicker and more precise test in the shop, and also please tell me some songs which you would like me to test. I can stream them in youtube and see which of the two headphones gives with those songs the signature you want.

Yes, Germany is a nice Country. Ingenious people. Quite correct, with a very good social system.

Hey, write me a PM, if you are near where I live we can meet and you can try my wireless yourself :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back