Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Apr 15, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #1,517 of 3,671
  To the best of my knowledge (and I did research this, once upon a time) you are correct about the iphones not supporting aptx. My 4s doesn't.

Yup - that much I'm sure of.  Apple definitely hasn't adopted apt-x in iOS.  Does anyone know what approximate bitrate we can expect when transmitting lossless files from iOS > m2's via SBC codec?

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #1,518 of 3,671

Yup - that much I'm sure of.  Apple definitely hasn't adopted apt-x in iOS.  Does anyone know what approximate bitrate we can expect when transmitting lossless files from iOS > m2's via SBC codec?

SBC can go up to 328kbps. Medium quality SBC is 229kbps and low quality is 201kbps. I would imagine (and expect) that Apple devices can support high quality SBC.

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #1,519 of 3,671

If you haven't returned the M2 yet, it would be best, if you got the Def Tech Symp 1, while  you still have the M2. That way YOU can do the A/B comparison and then make the choice of which one best suits you.. I think that is the BEST option.   For me, when I had both the Def Tech and the M2, and I wear glasses, comfort wasn't even considered, because both of them were comfortable FOR ME with glasses on.. My choice for the M2 was based clearly on BT SQ. Because I didn't get any BT connection issues with either pair.

I know we all have different preferences, but IMO the symph 1's sound almost exactly the same as the m2's. What didn't you like about the sq?

Apr 15, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #1,521 of 3,671
I think it is documented in this thread, but OS X 10.10.3 makes the headphones unusable.  I updated one of my MacBooks to 10.10.3 and audio cuts out, gets static, and goes in and out of mono.  My other Macbook on 10.10.2 just has the regular annoying dropouts, but 10.10.3 takes things to a whole new level.

Apr 15, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #1,522 of 3,671
  I think it is documented in this thread, but OS X 10.10.3 makes the headphones unusable.  I updated one of my MacBooks to 10.10.3 and audio cuts out, gets static, and goes in and out of mono.  My other Macbook on 10.10.2 just has the regular annoying dropouts, but 10.10.3 takes things to a whole new level.

I posted this link earlier in this as having helped with some older model bluetooth Senns I have. I don't know if anyone has tried it with the Momentums yet, but it is probably worth a try:

http://lifehacker.com/fix-your-bluetooth-audio-in-yosemite-with-this-terminal-1670380974

Apr 15, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #1,523 of 3,671

As I previously mentioned. Same thing happened to me. 
The bluetooth driver version is different in 10.10.2, 10.10.3 Beta and 10.10.3 (final release), being the 10.10.2 the less trouble version in my case.

I actually took a picture of 10.10.2 version and 10.10.3 beta:

- 10.10.2 : 4.3.2f6 (works fine for me unless I leave the room where my Mac is located, one wall is enough to destroy the signal reception and eventually drop the connection at all);
- 10.10.3 beta: 4.3.4b7 (terrible experience, was inaudible... stutters every single second);
- 10.10.3: I don't remember because I immediately came back to 10.10.2 once I noticed music was still skipping. Still, I am sure it wasn't the same bluetooth software version as 10.10.3 Beta.

PS: Sorry about my bad English.

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #1,524 of 3,671
  I know we all have different preferences, but IMO the symph 1's sound almost exactly the same as the m2's. What didn't you like about the sq?

I also thought there was a pretty big difference in sound quality between the two but I thought the Symphony 1 were much much better sounding. The Momentum to me had bloated bass and an artificial boost in the upper mids. The soundstage was also a lot smaller. The Symphony was much more balanced across the spectrum.

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #1,525 of 3,671
I also thought there was a pretty big difference in sound quality between the two but I thought the Symphony 1 were much much better sounding. The Momentum to me had bloated bass and an artificial boost in the upper mids. The soundstage was also a lot smaller. The Symphony was much more balanced across the spectrum.

I hear the boosted mids...but bloated bass??? Didnt get that, to be honest, i believe the symphs bass is almost identical to the m2's. True about sounstage, the symphs are huge. Too bad senn couldnt figure out the bt issues, along with the horrible nc artifacts, because they look and sohnd awesome, along with great portability

Apr 15, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #1,526 of 3,671
I've tried all of sennheisers suggestions and not one of them made any difference. As soon as I move my head to look over my right shoulder, the headphones skip and stutter while out walking, you know, being portable. I've tried it with 3 different iPhones and multiple sources ranging from music app, YouTube, spotify and songza. So I guess it's what they say, it's the nature of wireless to be interrupted by outside sources. The HUGE problem with this statement is that my Sony Bluetooth headphones do not skip, stutter or lose connection. So imo, it's the nature of the momentum wireless' weak BT receiver

Apr 15, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #1,527 of 3,671
I've tried all of sennheisers suggestions and not one of them made any difference. As soon as I move my head to look over my right shoulder, the headphones skip and stutter while out walking, you know, being portable. I've tried it with 3 different iPhones and multiple sources ranging from music app, YouTube, spotify and songza. So I guess it's what they say, it's the nature of wireless to be interrupted by outside sources. The HUGE problem with this statement is that my Sony Bluetooth headphones do not skip, stutter or lose connection. So imo, it's the nature of the momentum wireless' weak BT receiver

Just been listening to my Sony MBR-10RBT headphones. No connection skips or stutters streaming flac files from two rooms away with two sets of walls in the way. No disconnects, nothing. Glad I took the Senns back.

Apr 15, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #1,528 of 3,671

Well, you know I am a newbie!!
biggrin.gif
 With that said, in my newbie way of explaining, the Def Techs just didn't seem alive to me. The sound had no color, kind of flat if you can understand that. Whereas, the M2s, were kind of so so at first, but still better than the Def Techs. Then after about a day or two of burn in the M2s really raised the level. Now, most of this testing was down sitting at my desk, and going from the Def Tech to the M2, and back and forth, both connected by bluetooth..  To my ears, the M2 was better all around. I listen to a lot of Jazz, women and men vocals, and a lot of sound tracks. No hip hop, rap, etc..I ran through about 10 or 15 of my favorite albums..The M2 just distance itself from the Def Tech.. Also, as I mentioned before, I paid a $130 more for the M2s. Whereas, if I sent the M2s back, I would be $130 to the good. No way, that was happening. I guess it is how our ears, which are all different, perceive the sound. In reading a lot of feedback on the M2s, most say, it is the best BT sound they have heard.. Now, the connections issues are another issue all together.. I don't have any, and I think that is because I am not around high interference for the most part..

Apr 15, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #1,529 of 3,671
I hear the boosted mids...but bloated bass??? Didnt get that, to be honest, i believe the symphs bass is almost identical to the m2's. True about sounstage, the symphs are huge. Too bad senn couldnt figure out the bt issues, along with the horrible nc artifacts, because they look and sohnd awesome, along with great portability

I guess it would vary depending on what music you listen to. I tested it with all sorts of music like I usually do with new headphones and the ones where there was meant to be more bass the Momentum boosted the bass a lot more than was natural. Some people would prefer the bass heavy response but for me it was boosted artificially and there was definitely too much bass. The Symphony did it much more naturally, you could feel that the track was meant to be bass heavy but the bass didn't try to overpower everything.

Have you tried taking the Symphony outside and seeing if you have bt issues with them? No one really seems to have compared how the Symphony performs outside in the places where the Momentum had bt or nc issues, probably because they aren't as portable. It would be good to hear a comparison of how the bt is at intersections or in the areas where there are lots or wireless signals or how the nc performs when there are bumps on the bus. In the internal tests I did both seemed to struggle when walls got in the way.

Apr 15, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #1,530 of 3,671

Forget it, the Sennheiser complains about the M2 AEBT not being supported (yet). The list on the Sennheiser website also does not list the M2 Momentum Wireless either ...

I would respectfully disagree (if you are talking about the Sennheiser Updater software). I have it installed and it recognized the headphones just fine. There just has been no update to install as of yet. If you were talking about something else, ignore my comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back