Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Mar 27, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #1,081 of 3,671

Sennheiser may be out of stock.

Even amazon shows backordered 1-3 months on the white ones (though black appears in stock).

IMO, those open box returns will start showing up someplace, at a reduced price. Most likely Amazon.

EDIT: Amazon has Sennheiser M2s BACK IN STOCK. 

In addition, those RETURNS are showing up on Amazon too. At the tune of around $450 and the new and the used are Amazon Prime, so you got that super return policy with these..

Mar 27, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #1,082 of 3,671

Tough to compare them, imo, but I'll try.

The z7 is much more comfy and has more bass quantity along with much wider soundstage.

Aside from obviously being more portable and wireless, the m2's bass (in wired passive mode) is a bit cleaner but can sometimes sound over-boosted. I think Sennheiser did that to reduce chances of having too little bass (may be harder to use any kind of bass boost in wireless mode depending on the device and software in use).

Both the z7 and m2 have good separation and can bring out the minute details in many songs. So far, I'm amazed how much soundstage and clarity the m2 often has. The m2 is also easier to drive although both can be driven pretty well by my Note 3.

I do think the z7 responds a bit better to amping and are less fatiguing all-around but your ears can get warm and/or sweat more in the z7 due to the much larger, deeper, and more plush earcup padding. I could listen to the z7 almost nonstop but find I have to reposition the m2 every hour or so. However, even if physical comfort were equal among them, the z7's unique sound sig is also less fatiguing than that of the m2.

I'd say the m2 was built/designed exactly like a travel headphone that will be taken on/off frequently or moved and repositioned often; as in motion, on-the-go. They're still comfortable and sound amazing but they can't touch the z7 for long-listening.

Thanks for that specific feedback..
beerchug.gif

This is where I am at now. I am locked on the M2.. Say I am a M2 fanboy.  I have 3 BT headphones that I use. With this new found hobby, I was thinking about getting a set of headphones just for home, such as the AKG K712 or the Senn HD650, something in that range.. However, as I understand, they are open back and not a chance of them going portable.. However, in looking at the Sony Z7, I am assuming I can get HD650 and AKG K712 performance, but still have a close back, and if I wanted to carry them out for mobile action, I could.. I am dying to try out my portable Filo E18 amp too..
wink.gif

Mar 27, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #1,083 of 3,671
The M2 wireless should be available here in Europe in a few days, and I think I've convinced myself to pick one up the moment I can.  Currently I'm using the M100, which someone else also mentioned recently - they are definitely overly bassy for my tastes.  I only have Apple mobile devices at the moment - hopefully the wireless audio quality with them is ok.

Mar 27, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #1,084 of 3,671
How are these headphones for use in an office environment? My main usages scenarios for headphones is either while travelling (on the bus, by plane, etc.) or while at the office but I'd rather not have to constantly keep removing the headphones whenever someone wants to talk to me. Do these headphones feature a toggle for letting voices through?

Mar 27, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #1,085 of 3,671
How are these headphones for use in an office environment? My main usages scenarios for headphones is either while travelling (on the bus, by plane, etc.) or while at the office but I'd rather not have to constantly keep removing the headphones whenever someone wants to talk to me. Do these headphones feature a toggle for letting voices through?

No they dont.

Mar 27, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #1,086 of 3,671
IMO, those open box returns will start showing up someplace, at a reduced price. Most likely Amazon.

EDIT: Amazon has Sennheiser M2s BACK IN STOCK. 

In addition, those RETURNS are showing up on Amazon too. At the tune of around $450 and the new and the used are Amazon Prime, so you got that super return policy with these..

I "stole" a pair on amazon for $350 shipped, thanks to a member here for the heads up.

Mar 27, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #1,088 of 3,671

Technically that would mean to be able to turn off the ANC when you want to.. The Definitive Technology Symphony 1 can turn off the ANC, in bluetooth and wired. Whereas, the M2, the ANC is always on with bluetooth, and you only have the choice to turn off ANC is when you are wired. Also, some are putting the Def Tech Symp 1 up there with the M2, and maybe slightly better.. The Def Tech Symp 1  just might be the headphones for you..

Mar 27, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #1,091 of 3,671
  Does the momentum wireless sound better or worse with the ANC active, when wired?

I went into details about it in my review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-momentum-wireless-over-ear-headphones-in-black-m2aebt/reviews/12802

Absolutely, it sounds a lot better in wired with ANC on because internal DAC kicks in with a power to balance out sound sig (bass being the biggest improvement where you no longer have that mid-bass hump) and to expand soundstage with an improved depth/width and layering/separation.  Plus, ANC "cleans up" background for a better SNR (just my perception of black background that improves signal to noise ratio).

Btw, just to add, obviously DAC is not going to improve the sound with analog wired input, but there is some internal processing (perhaps some DSP?) when power is ON because you definitely hear sound improvement and input impedance changes from 28 ohm to 480 ohm.

Mar 27, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #1,092 of 3,671

I went into details about it in my review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-momentum-wireless-over-ear-headphones-in-black-m2aebt/reviews/12802

Absolutely, it sounds a lot better in wired with ANC on because internal DAC kicks in with a power to balance out sound sig (bass being the biggest improvement where you no longer have that mid-bass hump) and to expand soundstage with an improved depth/width and layering/separation.  Plus, ANC "cleans up" background for a better SNR (just my perception of black background that improves signal to noise ratio).

Well then, if the wireless momentum sounds better when wired and anc active, can I conclude that the wireless model sounds better than the wired model since many people say they sound identical when the wireless momentum is in wired, passive mode?

Mar 27, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #1,093 of 3,671

Well then, if the wireless momentum sounds better when wired and anc active, can I conclude that the wireless model sounds better than the wired model since many people say they sound identical when the wireless momentum is in wired, passive mode?

That's just an assumption without testing them side by side.  I wouldn't conclude it for sure without actual test of M2 wireless (in passive wired) and M2 wired.  There gotta be some difference in sound tuning, where I'm sure M2 wireless was optimized to work with internal DAC.  If local Best Buy going to carry M2 wired, maybe I will swing by for a quick comparison, but can't promise.  Perhaps others who tested both can chime in with their impressions.

Mar 28, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #1,095 of 3,671
Uh-oh! Just experienced THE bluetooth issue at home for 1st real time:

Walked 15-20ft (5m) away from my Note 3 but didn't experience any dropouts and stuttering UNTIL I reached for the right earcup to adjust the volume. Then the music stuttered so bad it sounded broken. It wasn't 100% direct line of sight between my phone and the M2 but no obstructions either. Repeated to confirm the issue 3x.

Also tried my old Creative WP-350 (also apt-x BT but on-ear) for comparison, leaving the phone in same spot and walking same path as with the M2. Absolutely no dropouts or stuttering.

I got a good deal on the M2, but like others here, may have to return them. The sound is amazing (wired or wireless) but I have other, equally great sounding, wired headphones and planned to use the M2 for wireless. Well, if I can't rely on the BT, no need to keep these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back