Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Mar 18, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #931 of 3,671
  As someone pointed out earlier, the complaints about the M2 Wireless on this thread make it seem very "doom & gloom" and suggests to the casual reader that there may be some serious flaws with this model when the reality is that those who have posted are not necessarily representative of all M2 Wireless user experiences since there may be many who don't have issues at all and aren't posting because there isn't anything to go to a forum thread to complain about.

I am one of those without issues.  I've had my M2 Wireless for almost 2 weeks now and could not be happier with it.   Comfort due to the larger ear cup size is a remarkable improvement over my M1, and there are some sound improvements too, though subtle, that makes it less balanced sounding than the M1, but in a good way (more bass and improve treble, but not necessarily V-shaped).   Best of all, I'm not having any of the bluetooth issues that a few are describing here.   Sure I will get occasional drops and stutters, but it is very rare and only happens when I walk away from my source device too far or if there is lots of interference in the room I'm in.  Interference is unavoidable people!  This is not the fault of the headphone but something inherent in wireless technology.   I have never owned a wireless consumer audio device that was perfectly immune to interference.  Compared to many other bluetooth audio devices and headsets I've ever owned, the M2 Wireless is definitely better than average if not the best I've had in terms of being resistant to interference.   I rarely have issues when walking around in public indoors our outdoors streaming audio from my iPhone in my pocket or my iPad in my shoulder bag.   At home, it almost never happens, which was surprising to me because my home has serious wireless traffic which includes: multiple wifi networks, wireless media streaming from NAS, several desktops, tablets, and laptops, 3 wireless printers, wireless connections to receivers, TVs, 2 wireless baby monitors, wireless lighting control, wireless thermostat controls, wireless VOIP phones, wirelessly connected PS4 and Xboxes, RF remotes, and a multitude of USB 3.0 devices which are notorious for causing interference.   My M2 Wireless works just fine in this environment.   I love this thing.  It is the ultimate in portable wireless cans in my book.

Very well stated. I am also one of those without issue, and have been posting as such throughout this thread. I have had mine since the beginning of Feb.

And BTW, sheesh you have a LOT of potential for interference. Your place must be in the direction at which I saw all that nuclear glow coming from... :)

Mar 18, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #933 of 3,671
  Anyone know where they have these in-store?

Certain Magnolia / Best Buy might have them in stock, but usually not for audition/demo.   Depends on location.

Mar 18, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #935 of 3,671
Okay, a novice and don't have good hearing will chime in here..

First off, I am a Sony Fanboy, also, bluetooth is my #1 priority. How it sounds wired, amp, or with EQ is secondary to me..
As I stated, I swear by my  Sony MDR 1RBT MK2s.. I hear a lot of people talk about the 1RBT in a bluetooth sense, and never mention the Mk2 BT, as it is vastly different animal then the 1RBT..

To the point, any thing that beats my Sony Mk2, I am going to look at it. 
I was vastly interested in the Sony 1ABT, because that is supposed to be an upgrade/successor or later model then the MK2. Therefore it has to be better..However, the 1ABT is not available, won't be until another 4 or 5 weeks.

So, the other two contenders, the Senn M2 wireless and the Definitive Technology Symp 1.. Both recently released bluetooth models in the $400+range. I never tried the Momentum 450 and 550x wireless because from the reviews, I didn't think they would be better than my Mk2. And from what I am reading about those, I was correct. Anyway, on the 14th of March I got 2 packages from Amazon. The Def Tech Sym 1, and the Senn M2 delivered at my door.

I planned on listening to both of them for about a week, and if anyone of them or both beat my Sony, one of them will be a keeper.

Bear with me now, because I have already clarified, I am a novice..

I fired up the M2 right off.BTW, my source is my Samsung Note 4, with aptx, and playing flac files.

Right off the M2, didn't impress me. Comparing it to my Mk2, I said, the soundstage is a little smaller on the M2, then on my Mk2. Everything else the same.. That was my first impression of the M2.  The Def Tech, just a tad better... On 2nd day.. After about 10 or 11 hours on the M2, I heard a difference.. The soundstage, as I called it was better, okay, from what I hearing now, it about even or a tad better than my Mk2..

Even the Def Tech on the 2nd day sounded better. It seems all these phones need a breakin or burn in time, because there is a difference after some time has been put on the phones..  Okay, now I go out and about with the phones. All at the same time, I thinking I will be sending both of these back and wait for the Sony 1ABT, before I make my mind up on a buy, that is, if I do buy one of these..

I take the M2s to the gym.. BTW, if you see in my sig, I have the Harman Kardon BTs, they are my gym workout phones.. They have super clamping force, aptx, however, they are not in the same league as my MK2, so I don't include them in this comparison.  Also, the M2s are my first NC headphones too.

At the gym, the M2s stay on my head, their force is not as hard as the HKs, but sufficient enough that when my head goes horizontal or vertical doing an exercise, they don't fall off..The NC was super. People talking to me, I am seeing lip movement..
biggrin.gif
 Back to my Mk2 and the Def Tech..I am noticing something coming from the M2s that is better but can't tell what it is..Okay, I am fast fowarding to today. Like I said, I was going to send the M2 and the Def Tech back and wait for the 1ABT to see which one I will get, that is, if I do get another one.

Well, another poster had ask me about connection problems with the M2..So, this morning at the gym, I am taking note on how far away I am from my phone. Don't want to go too far, after all my phone is a NOTE 4!!
biggrin.gif
 Shucks at one time, I think I am a cool 75 feet away from my phone, no obstructions, just distance, and my phone is in a pouch..No connections breaks. I didn't take it pass the 75 feet. The music I was listening too, Chris Botti(jazz trumpeter) Micheal Jackson Thriller, Whiteney Houston, and the City of Prague, all in flac.. Sheesh, the M2 kicked it out.. Had me smiling big time. After the gym, hitched a ride on the subway..The vocals, the trumpets, the bass, all that is kicking big time.  People looking at me on the subway, cause I be grinning big time. After that, I decided the M2s have won me over, they are keepers. 

Now, another poster was trying to get out of me, what is better on the M2, then on the Mk2s and the Def Tech..I could not pinpoint it, but I know it is something different and good if the M2, going to make a cheapskate like me put down 5 large..When I got home, I grabbed the Def Tech, and took the dog for a long walk, playing the same flac music..Then it hit me what the difference was.!!!

The M2 was clearer, the jazz trumpet of Chris Botti was cutting me with the M2, plus the seperation, the clarity, and I guess I can use this word, the color. .All this was better on the M2.. I listened hard to that the trumpet on the Def Tech, it was there, but muddy, and the music was thrown at me.. bass not as good..The vocals the same way, the M2 shined like gold. Mind you, I am a Sony Mk2 fanboy..

Also, been reading some of this thread. I got no connection problems, in fact, I go no problems whatsoever with the M2. It must be that I have a later model, because Amazon was out of stock at one time, then then got new stock, so must have a later fixed model. Because the copy I got on a 1 to 10 with 10 being the best, it gets a 15!!

In my ears, it clearly out performs the Def Tech Symp 1..However, the M2, here in the states cost 20% more then the Def Tech and the Sony. All I can say is, Senheiser must have put that 20% back into the phone, that is why the M2 got more of something than the others.. Can't speak for the 1ABT, not out yet. In my opinion, the bar was raised with the Sony MDR 1RBT MK2. A lot of people didn't get that model because it was grey market in the USA. The MK2 had about 4 or 5 improvements plus aptx over the 1RBT. BTW, I will not look at a set of headphones without aptx. My Note 4 with its 128 gb sd card is packed with flac files.. I want it all!! 

The only con I can say for the M2, is the smaller cup size. It is over ear, I will not even consider on ear phones. 

Sorry for the long post, but I am an older gent, takes a lot of words, to say just one thing on my part. Comes with the age...

Once again, IMO, there is a new sheriff on the bluetooth turf. Kicking butt and taking numbers.. the Senn M2..

All 3 of the contenders here. The M2's cups don't rotate, but you can see the smaller cup size of the M2.

Mar 19, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #936 of 3,671
Thanks for sharing, could you state the order no and serial no from the box? Mine are 506250 and 0025000130, and I have BT interference issues in the city, not extreme though, just annoying.

Mar 19, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #937 of 3,671
I have the same bluetooth connection problems.
Ord. No.: 506250 (obviously the same), Ser. No.: 0035000485 (quite different, probably due to the fact that I got them from german Sennheiser Onlineshop)

I mean, most of the time it's really fine because I mostly have my iPhone outside playing around with it/surfing while listening to music. But then there are moments with the iPhone in the left front pocket where it's unbearable, even if only for a very short time.

Would be great if newer sets turned out not having these problems anymore, so I'll keep following this thread.

Mar 19, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #938 of 3,671
Hi guys, I've been lurking on the thread for a few days, but I can't seem to make my mind. I want to put the bluetooth and ANC aside for a bit and talked about sound quality.

Of what i gathered, there is conflicting opinions on whether the bluetooth connection was better or worst than the M1, but not much info on the wired capabilities of the M2 wireless.

Similarly, I didn't find much comparison between the wired/passive M2 wireless and the M2 wired, maybe because few are those that had the chance to test both.

So, here comes my question, do you think that, sound quality wise (only), the M2 wireless (in wired passive mode) is as good as the M1 ? And what of the M2 wired ?

I'm very tempted by those cans :)

Mar 19, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #939 of 3,671
Yesterday I went for a walk in Lisbon and had no major problems, even putting my iPhone 6 in left pocket. I was quite surprised, it seems to happen only on wide open areas and inside when I leave the room where my Macbook is.

My SN is 0514000119 and I have this other info on box, 2014118REV01, I think it's the manufacture day.

Mar 19, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #940 of 3,671
Hi guys, I've been lurking on the thread for a few days, but I can't seem to make my mind. I want to put the bluetooth and ANC aside for a bit and talked about sound quality.

Of what i gathered, there is conflicting opinions on whether the bluetooth connection was better or worst than the M1, but not much info on the wired capabilities of the M2 wireless.

Similarly, I didn't find much comparison between the wired/passive M2 wireless and the M2 wired, maybe because few are those that had the chance to test both.

So, here comes my question, do you think that, sound quality wise (only), the M2 wireless (in wired passive mode) is as good as the M1 ? And what of the M2 wired ?

I'm very tempted by those cans :)

Both the m2 and m2 wireless sounded the same to me when run passively in wired mode and they both sounded pretty much the same as the original momentum. Even comparing the wired m2 to the m2 running in wireless mode I struggled to hear any noticeable differences. Perhaps if you were to do some critical listening in a nice quiet room then any apparent differences might be more noticeable but for their intended purpose and environment there wasn't any discernible difference to my ears. In a very noisey environment the wireless model will of course sound better due to the anc, the wired models isolation is only average imo so outside noise will interfere with the sound quality more.

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #941 of 3,671
Both the m2 and m2 wireless sounded the same to me when run passively in wired mode and they both sounded pretty much the same as the original momentum. Even comparing the wired m2 to the m2 running in wireless mode I struggled to hear any noticeable differences. Perhaps if you were to do some critical listening in a nice quiet room then any apparent differences might be more noticeable but for their intended purpose and environment there wasn't any discernible difference to my ears. In a very noisey environment the wireless model will of course sound better due to the anc, the wired models isolation is only average imo so outside noise will interfere with the sound quality more.

I think they sound heads and heels better than the original...the treble doesn't roll off. The soundstage is big and there is some quality imaging. The bass isn't near as loose and boomy as before.

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #942 of 3,671
Unfortunately my 3 day old senns are getting replaced. The right side makes a loud popping side when other loud sounds happen around me. Its only the right side. Crutchfield is shipping me another pair for exchange as we speak. Great cust service! Btw, really loving the sound of these things.

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #943 of 3,671
I think they sound heads and heels better than the original...the treble doesn't roll off. The soundstage is big and there is some quality imaging. The bass isn't near as loose and boomy as before.

The m2 still sounds like the treble is rolled off, I tested some of my sibilant tracks on it and they were easily listenable. The soundstage still has the congestion of the original model and i did not notice much, if any improvement in the bass but then again I never found the original to be loose or boomy by my standards. Loose and boomy to me was something like the original beats headphones which the Momentums bass sounds nothing like.

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #944 of 3,671
The m2 still sounds like the treble is rolled off, I tested some of my sibilant tracks on it and they were easily listenable. The soundstage still has the congestion of the original model and i did not notice much, if any improvement in the bass but then again I never found the original to be loose or boomy by my standards. Loose and boomy to me was something like the original beats headphones which the Momentums bass sounds nothing like.

Another review and opinion...and when the dust settles we can tastefully agree to disagree.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-24-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #945 of 3,671
I have both m2 and m2 wireless. Using the wireless in passive mode wired it sounds the same as the wired m2. Both have rolled off treble but not as much as the m1. The bass in the m2's is present like the m1 but not as muddy. If you don't need the BT or ANC save the money, their the same headphone. IME.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back