Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Mar 9, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #796 of 3,671
Well, I got rid of My LG G3 as a main source in favor of GT-N915Fy (Samsung Note Edge), reset the bluetooth pairing on the headphones, and voila, all problems gone so far: no hiss, no stuttering in the office/ at home. Go figure. 

Strangely so, I tested Samsung S4, S5 (Android 4.4.4) and Note Edge (5.0.1) and had no problems with BT stuttering, while my G3 with Android 5.0, several Iphones and Sony Z3 with Android 4.4.4. all had stuttering every 5-10 seconds.

Mar 9, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #798 of 3,671
Never ever thought I would say this, but are the Earpads replacable? I just realized that they are not deep enough. Was looking at the Brainwavz hm5's. Compatible or not?

The pads are replaceable. Have seen them for sale here in the UK for approx. £55 (USD $85), so not exactly cheap.

I've got some HM5 pads to hand and comparing them with the stock pads they would not be a suitable replacement. Much taller / wider and the stock pads are angled at the back whereas the HM5 pads are flat.

Mar 9, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #799 of 3,671
The pads are replaceable. Have seen them for sale here in the UK for approx. £55 (USD $85), so not exactly cheap.

I've got some HM5 pads to hand and comparing them with the stock pads they would not be a suitable replacement. Much taller / wider and the stock pads are angled at the back whereas the HM5 pads are flat.

Hmm, do you know of any other pads that may fit the momentums? But are deeper in volume

Mar 9, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #801 of 3,671
I don't sorry. The M2's are the smallest headphones I own and none of the spare pads I have available fit them.

Thanks. Was curious due to this review http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-urbanite-xl-black-over-ear-headphones/reviews/12696

The urbanites could support the hm5's, so I had to make sure about the momentums. I wonder what the original momentum users used for earpads since they were too small?

Mar 9, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #803 of 3,671
Finally had chance to use it outside, some stutter but nothing annoying, it happened like 5 times during all day (10+ hours of use).
Inside Lisbon Metro I had no stutter at all.

Update on Macbook Pro Retina problem:

Downgrading from Yosemite 10.10.3 Beta to Yosemite 10.10.2 solved the massive stutter problem.
I had chance to try the Momentum on another Macbook Retina and went smoothly.
They have different bluetooth drivers installed and most probably it was causing the trouble. 

Mar 9, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #804 of 3,671
    I just can't believe that Sennheiser doesn't advertise this more, as a listening mode (because it is so good), except for 1 line in the manual. I think that if more people knew about this (along with the other 2 modes), it might help justify (in their minds) the cost of the HP. I don't think I know of ANY HP out, currently, that can do this. This is where Bose would market the crap out of something like this as groundbreaking, and it would start a craze (maybe craze is not the word, but you know what I mean) where all the manufacturers would try and jump on the "bandwagon"..... hehe

Definitive Technology's Symphony 1 headphones are supposed to be able to utilize a digital USB source as well: http://www.definitivetech.com/products/symphony  (the reference to it is also buried into a sentence in the manual)

Mar 9, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #805 of 3,671

Thanks. Was curious due to this review http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-urbanite-xl-black-over-ear-headphones/reviews/12696

The urbanites could support the hm5's, so I had to make sure about the momentums. I wonder what the original momentum users used for earpads since they were too small?

Oh, I see what you mean. Rather than fit them onto the plastic fitment rings Brooko simply slipped the vinyl over the outside of the cup....makes sense now.

That would work for the M2 also I think. Mine are the wired version so I'm reluctant to mess around too much but I can get the HM5  pads about 90% in place. The only thing stopping me getting them on fully is the wires coming out of the top / bottom of the cup but with some slight trimming of the vinyl I think a fit (might not be the snuggest tho') could be achieved.

I'll upload some pics shortly to give you an idea of how they look fitted and also to give you an idea of how the pads compare in terms of size. Not sure how the HM5 pads would alter the sound though and you'd perhaps want to try adding some gauze / paper towel to angle the rear of the pad to keep things consistent. 

Edit: pics now added.

Edit #2: a word of warning. The stock pads are easy to remove but pretty fiddly to put back on. so not something you'd want to do regularly (the vinyl strip that fits onto the fitment ring is very flimsy so tends to slip off easily). 

Mar 9, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #806 of 3,671

Definitive Technology's Symphony 1 headphones are supposed to be able to utilize a digital USB source as well: http://www.definitivetech.com/products/symphony  (the reference to it is also buried into a sentence in the manual)

That is very interesting. More interesting is that they also basically bury it as a feature to be mostly ignored.....Thanks for the info.

Mar 9, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #807 of 3,671

Originally Posted by jellofund 

Oh, I see what you mean. Rather than fit them onto the plastic fitment rings Brooko simply slipped the vinyl over the outside of the cup....makes sense now.

That would work for the M2 also I think. Mine are the wired version so I'm reluctant to mess around too much but I can get the HM5  pads about 90% in place. The only thing stopping me getting them on fully is the wires coming out of the top / bottom of the cup but with some slight trimming of the vinyl I think a fit (might not be the snuggest tho') could be achieved.

I'll upload some pics shortly to give you an idea of how they look fitted and also to give you an idea of how the pads compare in terms of size. Not sure how the HM5 pads would alter the sound though and you'd perhaps want to try adding some gauze / paper towel to angle the rear of the pad to keep things consistent. 

Edit: pics now added.

What are the inner dimensions of those pads? They look (from the pictures anyhow) like they are the same ID as the M2's.

Mar 9, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #810 of 3,671

Ahh, ok... Thanks for that.

That's not a problem!

They do look a bit closer in the pics (& to the naked eye) than they measure. Whilst I think these pads would just about be use-able I'd imagine there must be something else out there that would be closer in size to the stock pads but with a bit more depth / room for larger ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back