Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Feb 17, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #556 of 3,671
That's very interesting.

Quote:
I'm using my pair with an iPhone 6 and have had no problems going inside or outside.

Do you use compressed audio files? (MP3 320 or lower)
It's either that or the others have unreasonable high standards.

In case it's none of the above they should get theirs exchange, because they got a faulty one.

Feb 17, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #557 of 3,671
Just used mine wirelessly for the first time with my macbook, they sound just as good imo. 

Nothing like dancing around in the living room free as a bird 
wink_face.gif

Feb 17, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #558 of 3,671
  How do the M2's controls compare to the Zik's ones? Like I wrote earlier, I'm worried that double-pressing to play the next song and triple-pressing to play the previous song might be a little awkward.

How much better is the noise cancellation of the Zik's? How did you compare it?

I can't really quantify them since I dont have the Zik 2 anymore. But it was noticeably better when I tried turning up my TV (going from memory I feel like I was able to increase the volume at least 50% more with the Zik 2 compared to the Sennheiser until I was able to understand dialogue from the TV), but again there was also a noticeable hiss where I dont notice it with the Sennheiser unless its a dead quiet room. I think the # of microphones on the Zik 2 are like 4 on each cup or something crazy like that so they definitely put a lot of effort on the tech with those headphones. Like i said before, they are crazy uncomfortable and build is shaky at the headband extender (unless the buyer has a small head, then it might not be an issue).

I haven't had the chance to to work in the M2 Wireless too much, but so far so good, enjoying them. They do get steamy (leather pads, can't really escape that), also if wearing a jacket or something with a tall collar if it brushes against the earcup while walking it makes a noticeable/loud scraping sound resonance into the ears - not crazy about that, especially since im in Indy right now and its cold so im wearing jackets quite a bit.

Feb 18, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #560 of 3,671
So here I am 24 hours later.

BT Wireless sometimes gets messed up, but I'm pretty sure this is not at fault of the headset. I've switched it off and back on, this appears to fix the issue. I should say some more about this before people think this is a headset issue. It is not, it's just a general BT connection issue. I'll keep a look out for it as it happens, but most of the time it's when I've moved the headset out of the way, and coming back to the computer.
Also my current dell computer is pretty terrible and it causes BT broadcast issues alone when the machine is a little busy with something. Even my macbook had issues. But it's working 99.5% of the time if not more. That is to say, I've only had this happen 3 times for less than a second each and then the one time where I had to switch off the headset and back on to fix it.

Multiple connections to various devices is really nice. So if I pair it with my iphone and macbook, I can still make a call through the iphone and then go back to listening to music on the macbook easily. Same works with Windows too. This is my first bt headset, so not sure if this is a bt4 feature.

ANC is still good. My office has a loud hum all day from the air filtration unit and it's like night and day difference between the headset on or off. I've been finding myself keeping the headset on even without music just for the piece.

There is however still the low white noise from the ANC system, which when nothing is playing is noticeable. However playing music, you don't hear the hum/ hiss at all.

BT connection is playing back the music fine. None of my devices support apt-x so can't tell the difference and while USB is slightly better quality, the BT connection is as good as any other BT connection device I've had.

Noise isolation in these is also amazing. I can listen to my music at near full volume and nobody can hear it. This is the greatest thing as I bought a month ago the Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO and had to return them because the sound leakage meant I couldn't use them at work.

Battery life is great. Looks like I'll just plug it in at night and then us them wirelessly the whole day. It's pretty awesome working without cables and having the voice controls means I can skype/ lync chat without changing headset.

Overall a day in, I'm really happy. Sound quality is amazing, ANC works near as good as Bose, battery is solid, build of the headset is incredible. If you can afford them, I'd say go for it.

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #561 of 3,671
So my black M2 Wireless arrived today and I've been wearing them for about three hours straight now. I'm using it with my Sony Xperia Z3 so aptX, NFC and Bluetooth 4.0 Class 1 all apply.

Some quick notes:

- Perceived quality of the headphones is phenomenal, from the moment you open the second pouch they included and are greeted by the smell of genuine leather. Sennheiser have managed to craft something that feels incredibly premium and refined yet inspires confidence in its durability. Despite how light they are and how slim the steel band is, every moving part is dampened and has a solidity to it that feels like it could last forever, while the smart choice of finishes are enough for me to not worry about scratches or fingerprints.

- Comfort and fit are impossibly perfect. I have a pretty small head for a guy and correspondingly small ears, and the earcups envelope my ears wonderfully with just the right amount of pressure, while the lack of thick padding on the headband is a non-issue. Even with glasses on, I haven't experienced any discomfort. However, I can imagine someone with large ears finding the earcups too small.

- NFC pairing is a breeze (I guess that's whole the point of NFC). The NFC chip is in the opposite side from the Bluetooth chip and controls so that can cause some confusion if you don't notice the NFC logo on the left side.

- Sound quality is remarkably satisfying over Bluetooth and I find myself leaving out any EQ adjustment for most music, which I rarely do with other headphones. Soundstage is pretty balanced, although there is a noticeable bias towards the upper and mid ranges which are beautifully crisp. Bass is not underwhelming but I find does need a little EQ adjustment to get it suitably punchy on tracks that demand it.

- I don't know if it's because I have an aptX device, but the difference in quality between Bluetooth and wired is not discernible to me. One advantage you have with Bluetooth is a much higher maximum volume; the max when wired is slightly better than the max on the B&O H6 from what I remember but still unacceptable and I think this is due to an EU restriction. In any case, Bluetooth isn't hamstrung by this problem. As others have mentioned, the controls on the right ear won't work with the cable as these are AVRCP controls.

- Bluetooth connectivity has been average with a little stuttering in the last few hours. Range is poorer than expected considering the specs of both devices. The major problem arose when I connected the Momentums to multiple devices, which they are advertised as capable of doing. Having multiple dormant connections with one actively streaming is not a problem, but if I switch my PC's default active audio to the headphones, audio streaming from my phone becomes an unusable, choppy mess. However, the reverse is not a problem, so my PC has no trouble streaming smoothly with my phone connected in standby waiting for a call. I haven't tested it outdoors yet.

- My least favourite thing about the M2 Wireless is the astonishing amount of sound leakage. I would've thought this wouldn't be a problem since these are closed-back headphones, but anything at and above a medium volume level is noticeable by people around me.

- Noise-cancelling, as many have mentioned, cannot be turned off in wireless mode. While I don't observe the noise-cancelling having any negative effect on quality, I can't help but think the option to turn it off when not needed would help to improve battery life.

- I haven't completely gotten used to the controls. I can see the rationale for touch-controls on headphones like the Parrot Zik and B&O H8 because it is so natural to reach for the face of the earcup, but thankfully the button placement on the M2 is right where your thumb lands so it's alright for me, although the button's travel is way too much.

Basically, for me it was a toss-up between this and the Parrot Zik 2.0. Choosing the Momentum over the Zik was not easy considering the latter is £80 less. Furthermore, the M2 wireless also lacks more advanced features like auto pause when the headphones are taken off, different noise cancelling profiles and touch controls. Ultimately, without having actually tried them, the Momentums won out with better expected quality (genuine leather vs synthetic), outdated Bluetooth 2.1 with no aptX support on the Zik and smaller earcups that suited my size better.

All things considered I'm very happy with the M2 Wireless. I'm not over the moon about them the way I hoped I would be because they could use more bass and the Bluetooth is a little spotty. I think for £380 they should have been perfect; as it stands they are merely very, very good.

Feb 18, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #562 of 3,671
  - My least favourite thing about the M2 Wireless is the astonishing amount of sound leakage. I would've thought this wouldn't be a problem since these are closed-back headphones, but anything at and above a medium volume level is noticeable by people around me.

That's crazy, because I'm in a whisper quiet office and listening to mine above medium volume over BT, around 75 to 80% of max volume and not a sound can be heard by my desk neighbours who are in arms reach from me.

I had to return my 770 pro headphones because they had huge leakage, but with my M2 wireless there is nothing, it's quiet amazing. I even had one of them try them and for me to listen in case they were just being polite about it.

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #564 of 3,671
OK nearly 24 hours now and I'm honestly considering returning my M2 Wireless. At the very least they will have to be exchanged because the Bluetooth performance is borderline horrendous. I don't know if this is a teething problem in early units or if its just how they are, but it would be unacceptable in headphones half the price. Both indoor and outdoor streaming is beset with intermittent stuttering every few minutes or so.

Also got a chance to test the ANC this morning on the bus and I'm less than impressed. I appreciate that there is very low hiss compared to other, more aggressive systems but ambient noise is more noticeable than I expected it to be. There is also a persistent loud cracking noise in the left ear that I'm assuming is caused by the ANC being unable to deal with sudden bumps on the road. I don't know if this is common in headphone ANC systems but I didn't experience it with my Sony Walkman A846's built-in ANC.

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #566 of 3,671
The bus thing is also an issue with the Samsung Level Over. Can't remember what people say, I haven't tried it myself, but they emit an annoying noise - maybe a screetching noise, when you hit bumps apparently.

I really don't want to return mine but think I have to for comfort reasons.

I found the sound amazing when listening to some DJ Krush remixes yesterday. The bass was really all encompassing - enveloped your ears, but then you can pick out all this higher frequency detail too. There was a richness and warmth to the bass and quite some power behind the mids perhaps.

Unfortunately I can't sit there and enjoy the music for long because my ears will give me grief, or my head sometimes too because of the rock solid headband. So it's like this pleasure and pain experience.

I think unless you have small or medium sized ears, you can't just sit there and enjoy the music forgetting about the headphones.

I have no idea how to get in contact with sennheiser about larger ear pads. I messaged them on Facebook as I couldn't find any way to email them etc. on their site.

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #567 of 3,671
  OK nearly 24 hours now and I'm honestly considering returning my M2 Wireless. At the very least they will have to be exchanged because the Bluetooth performance is borderline horrendous. I don't know if this is a teething problem in early units or if its just how they are, but it would be unacceptable in headphones half the price. Both indoor and outdoor streaming is beset with intermittent stuttering every few minutes or so.

Also got a chance to test the ANC this morning on the bus and I'm less than impressed. I appreciate that there is very low hiss compared to other, more aggressive systems but ambient noise is more noticeable than I expected it to be. There is also a persistent loud cracking noise in the left ear that I'm assuming is caused by the ANC being unable to deal with sudden bumps on the road. I don't know if this is common in headphone ANC systems but I didn't experience it with my Sony Walkman A846's built-in ANC.

I haven't had any issues with the bluetooth on mine. Sounds like you have a faulty pair. I use the every day on the train then tube (underground) via wireless and they only start to drop out when the battery is starting to get a little low. The ANC works well. I can't even notice the hiss when the music playing.

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #568 of 3,671
  The bus thing is also an issue with the Samsung Level Over. Can't remember what people say, I haven't tried it myself, but they emit an annoying noise - maybe a screetching noise, when you hit bumps apparently.

I really don't want to return mine but think I have to for comfort reasons.

I found the sound amazing when listening to some DJ Krush remixes yesterday. The bass was really all encompassing - enveloped your ears, but then you can pick out all this higher frequency detail too. There was a richness and warmth to the bass and quite some power behind the mids perhaps.

Unfortunately I can't sit there and enjoy the music for long because my ears will give me grief, or my head sometimes too because of the rock solid headband. So it's like this pleasure and pain experience.

I think unless you have small or medium sized ears, you can't just sit there and enjoy the music forgetting about the headphones.

I have no idea how to get in contact with sennheiser about larger ear pads. I messaged them on Facebook as I couldn't find any way to email them etc. on their site.

http://en-de.sennheiser.com/service-support-contact Choose the correct category and fill out the form, they'll get back to you.

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #569 of 3,671
Ok something weird is going on, because it feels like for half of the people it works great and the rest have constant connectivity problems.

Questions @ those that have problems with their BT connection:
 - Do you use uncompressed high resolution FLAC/WAV files?
 - What device are you using to play your music from?
 - Does your device support apt-x?

Question @ those that have no issues:
 - Do you use compressed audio files MP3 320 or lower?
 - What devices are you using to play your music from?

I'm currently deciding whether I should get the wireless or the standard wired ones.

My theories for the issues:

- lousy QC on Sennheisers part
 - people are trying to play uber high resolution files with a device that has only a class 2 BT transmitter and no apt-x support (e.g.: iPhone 6)
 - badly shielded USB 3 in close proximity

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #570 of 3,671
Ok something weird is going on, because it feels like for half of the people it works great and the rest have constant connectivity problems.

Questions @ those that have problems with their BT connection:
 - Do you use uncompressed high resolution FLAC/WAV files?
 - What device are you using to play your music from?

Mostly MP3s at 256/320kbps or WMAs at 192/255kbps, Sony Xperia Z3 with Bluetooth 4.0 Class 1 and aptX support.
So from where I'm sitting I certainly hope it's a quality control issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back