Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Feb 17, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #541 of 3,671
  Not sure I see the problem in the pictures, they look the same as mine. I received mine this morning and the earpads are thicker at the rear and narrower at the front.

Really? Ok that is good, I guess I hadn't noticed that when I first got them. This puts my mind at ease somewhat, as I REALLY love these headphones.

Feb 17, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #542 of 3,671
  So I've just received my Ivory Wireless about 30 minutes ago, so really need much more time trying them out, but initial feedback is that the noise cancelling is not bad. That is to say, it's not as good as Bose at all, there is far too much static hiss in a quiet environment. But in saying that, it does work out well at blocking audio on par with Bose I would say, maybe the hiss is because it's a little more aggressive at trying to block out the audio.

Huge difference between the connections. Wired is great, nice range in volume too depending on Amp. USB connection works out really well too on PC. Bluetooth is noticeably worse, but this was with an aptx-less device.

Wired > USB > Bluetooth

In saying that, the Bluetooth is pretty awesome and you have to be pretty picky to say it's bad.

Regarding to the fit of the headset, it's an odd one. These are designed for sure to be used outside due to their size. The larger earcups fit my ears just and are a hug. I noticed somebody else mentioned an uncomfortable right here and I was getting that too. I had to adjust the band, to make the band rest more on my head rather than the earpads resting on the top of my ear. This fixed the comfort issues.

They are pretty amazing in comfort though. Weight isn't bad either for a battery/ wireless edition. I was expecting something really heavy, but these are really not much more noticeable than regular over-earphones.

For those using your headset for voice too, the quality is not bad. Interestingly it goes into a strange audio mode when the Mic is active, basically sounds like they are enhancing the audio playback for voice and reducing it to not interfere with the mic's. It works well though. The mic pickup is very clear.

Overall, quick 30 minutes with them I'm happy. I need to try Bluetooth with Macbook which will be my main listening usage with them. iPhone with movement, i.e. walking to and from work. Though honestly I think I'll stick to my Bose in ears as I really prefer in ear devices for being outside.

Thanks for sharing your impressions!

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #544 of 3,671

I see great range differences when using my bluetooth Bose Soundlink Mini speakers while being at an open space for a BBQ in my experience. I can imagine this goes the same way for the headphones with maybe even smaller antennas. Not being able to bounce of surfaces and not being able to go through a persons body, creates the hick-ups in music we sometimes encounter. Probably, the more advanced aptX codec needs more bandwidth and is more susceptible to dropped packets, causing the hick-ups to be more / faster noticeable.

I can second that, my Nokia Play 360 speaker has a pretty bad connection to non-aptx devices.
For my aptx phone, I have the following experience:
Outside in a park, in a line of plain sight during a warm summer day, I was able to stream music without skipping with a distance of just about 100 meters from my old Samsung Galaxy S3, BT power class 2.
Inside, it will start skipping if I set the speaker in my bathroom and the S3 on the other side of the concrete wall, only 0.5 meters aparts.

Assumedly regular aptx needs 352 kbps data rate. From what I can see, classic BT has a max between 5600-16800 kbps ?

I see with some interest that phones like the Z3 (unlike the iPhone 6) comes with BT power class 1, which from what I understands means an increase in max signal power by 40 times, and up to 10 times longer range. According to the manual, the M2's are class 1.

Quote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth 
 The effective range varies due to propagation conditions, material coverage, production sample variations, antenna configurations and battery conditions. Most Bluetooth applications are for indoor conditions, where attenuation of walls and signal fading due to signal reflections make the range far lower than specified line-of-sight ranges of the Bluetooth products.

Feb 17, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #546 of 3,671
So, I started with Philips shb 7150 bluetooth headphone at 60 euros. Lightweight, large earcups, decent sound, good bluetooth range but to much wind noise on my bike (in Amsterdam we commute with bikes). Oh, and a good thing, I could easily and comfortably run with them. But because of the wind noise, I changed them for the plantronics backbeat pro. Felt like a bionic machinery add-on. To heavy, earcups to small, but great features (turning noisecanselation off, mic passthrough, perfect with Siri, great controls). Great bluetooth range, but just too heavy and uncomfortable. Also to bass heavy to my taste ... So went on to these beauties. What a sound!!! But, as mentioned, a lot of drop outs when phone 5s is in my pocket, and really bad bluetooth range. Can't leave the room without the english lady announsing "not connected". With both Phillips and plantronics I could be out in the streets without loosing connection. Also, I want to be be able to turn noisecancelation off. When on my bike I don't hear the other traffic, but there is a lot of windnoise. For safe biking I want it the other way around. The sound is just awsome, but they need an update with more controls and better bluetooth. However, there isn't even a OSX updater, so I wonder if there will be updates at all....
Voicecalling also not working, the lady announces 'voicecalling' but my iphone doesn't receive my instruction. It is beatiful, comfortable, though earcups move down by themselves and the sound is really really awsome. Just too many flaws, the product is not mature yet. Waiting for an answer from sennheise regarding updates, but think I'll return them ... And get the Philips again.

Feb 17, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #549 of 3,671
Dunno, wonder if there's even anything that they could do softwarewise.
You would assume that Sennheiser did proper testing with all kinds of devices. So they either didn't test enough or consider this bluetooth connection problem nothing out of the ordinary or several sets are simply broken.
This forum is well known, so if they didn't notice anything wrong so far then I am sure they DO know about it now, considering that there's also the Sennheiser rep.

Feb 17, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #550 of 3,671
I guess I am the only one with a wired pair, at this point I appear lucky since the entire thread is dedicated to BT issues and no mentions about SQ.

Feb 17, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #555 of 3,671
I may be jumping into this discussion late, but what is the underlying theory for why there should be LTE interference with BT4.0? As far as I'm aware, BT4.0 uses the same exact frequencies as BT2.1 up (short-wavelength UHF radio waves in the ISM band from 2.4 to 2.485 GHz).

Moreover, my understanding with Bluetooth is that the spec is progressive—pulling in old standards along with new; if this is true, the move to BT4.0 didn't change anything on the audio transmission side, but only added Bluetooth LE/Bluetooth Smart, which was really relevant for short-range, low power devices like activity and heartbeat monitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back