Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Feb 15, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #498 of 3,671

No interruptions outside here with LTE and iPhone 6 in pocket. Even took them for a brief drive with no problems. Also, after charging the M2's and resetting both devices, the bluetooth range has improved greatly. I suspect the culprit was low battery.

Inet streaming or music that is stored on your iPhone?

Both.

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #499 of 3,671
My set of Ivory M2 wireless will arrive this week, I'm excited.  However, I'm really surprised about the overall lack of focus on the ANC features of the headphones.  Of course every person is getting them for different reasons but even though BT4.0/AptX is lower loss you're still compressing an already compressed audio format.  Doing this seems kind of oxymoronish for people that go on and on about audio quality, sound stage, etc.  I think the percentage of everyone using FLAC flies is pretty low.  Oh, BTW my iPhones have been utilizing AptX receivers for years with great results.  I think I was originally hoping that the new Sony MDR series would work for my needs but the reviews made me reconsider going in that direction.

I am religiously opposed to buying Bose products and wanted a set of headphones with excellent sound AND ANC.  There are few options out there in this category.  I didn't NEED them to be wireless but ANC and wireless often go together for some reason.  It's nice to hear that the sound signature is good.  I love my HE-400's and basically stopped using my DT-880's when I got them.  I'm getting the wireless M2's for my 12 hours of bus rides every week.  The "should" fold down nicely and enable me to block out the road noise and listen to music or movies.  I'll add my own mini review when I get them but I've not had experience with other ANC headphones.  Hopefully the wireless M2's will be exactly what I'm looking for.

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #500 of 3,671
Alright, so I went to the city and did some testing. I can now say with high confidence that my BT connection problems are not because of LTE and BT4 interference. I disabled cellular data connection and played music stored in the phones memory and I still had major drop outs.

Moreover, whenever I would go inside, e.g. metro station, connection was again much better. It is exactly the moment when I step outside that the connections drops. It appeared that repositioning the phone in my pocket also had huge impact on connection stability. It is however hard to find a way to position the phone so than no connection problems occur.

As someone already earlier mentioned it could be because of radio waves bouncing off the walls in confined spaces and thus keeping the connection alive. Outside the antenna simply doesn't do the job anymore in receiving the faint BT signal. However, I'm in no way expert on this subject and don't know if this explanation is logical and accurate.

I think that either the antenna on my headphones is faulty or these headphones inherently have poorer antenna than my cheap Sony BT headphones.

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #501 of 3,671
  My set of Ivory M2 wireless will arrive this week, I'm excited.  However, I'm really surprised about the overall lack of focus on the ANC features of the headphones.  Of course every person is getting them for different reasons but even though BT4.0/AptX is lower loss you're still compressing an already compressed audio format.  Doing this seems kind of oxymoronish for people that go on and on about audio quality, sound stage, etc.  I think the percentage of everyone using FLAC flies is pretty low.  Oh, BTW my iPhones have been utilizing AptX receivers for years with great results.  I think I was originally hoping that the new Sony MDR series would work for my needs but the reviews made me reconsider going in that direction.

I am religiously opposed to buying Bose products and wanted a set of headphones with excellent sound AND ANC.  There are few options out there in this category.  I didn't NEED them to be wireless but ANC and wireless often go together for some reason.  It's nice to hear that the sound signature is good.  I love my HE-400's and basically stopped using my DT-880's when I got them.  I'm getting the wireless M2's for my 12 hours of bus rides every week.  The "should" fold down nicely and enable me to block out the road noise and listen to music or movies.  I'll add my own mini review when I get them but I've not had experience with other ANC headphones.  Hopefully the wireless M2's will be exactly what I'm looking for.

Well religiously opposed isn't the right approach to view Bose products. Their Soundlink Mini, earphones and headphones are some very good products regardless of what "audiophile" opinion is. And then especially when people regard the Bose noise cancelling as the best around.

Regardless, I will receive my ivory wireless next week and I own/ have owned all the Bose noise cancelling headsets, so I'll be able to do a comparison. The only NC product I don't have from Bose is their in ear ones.

As for why wireless and noise cancelling are linked together, makes for a few reasons. Less buttons, less complexity, noise cancelling is generally good enough to never have a reason to switch it off. Then finally if you really wanted to listen to your headphones without noise cancelling, you can hook up a cable and switch them off, which is pretty good since the Bose products only allow you to listen while noise cancelling is on.

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #502 of 3,671
  Well religiously opposed isn't the right approach to view Bose products. Their Soundlink Mini, earphones and headphones are some very good products regardless of what "audiophile" opinion is. And then especially when people regard the Bose noise cancelling as the best around.

Regardless, I will receive my ivory wireless next week and I own/ have owned all the Bose noise cancelling headsets, so I'll be able to do a comparison. The only NC product I don't have from Bose is their in ear ones.

As for why wireless and noise cancelling are linked together, makes for a few reasons. Less buttons, less complexity, noise cancelling is generally good enough to never have a reason to switch it off. Then finally if you really wanted to listen to your headphones without noise cancelling, you can hook up a cable and switch them off, which is pretty good since the Bose products only allow you to listen while noise cancelling is on.

But the QC25 which will allow you to listen with NC off...but it is not good sound.

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #503 of 3,671

Well, that's a good point.  I think I've actually heard their soundlink mini and was shocked at how good it sounded.  I've never heard their IEM's at all but do consider their ANC the standard in the biz, though I've never owned any of their ANC products.  I think it's more the marketing BS they load into their cube/sat systems and the $ they shovel into marketing vs. producing excellent products.  That said, I'm also not a believer in the high end audio cable market that is generally full of snake oil and marketing BS.  =)  

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #504 of 3,671
  Has anyone ever found out what DAC is being used in this can for the USB listening mode? I have not found out myself. I think it will take actually asking Sennheiser. I guess I don't REALLY need to know. I was just curious, because they sound absolutely marvelous in this mode (to me, night and day difference vs. BT mode).

On the same topic, I can't really figure out why this mode deserved only one sentence in the manual. I would think Senn would want everyone to know about this mode, when doing reviews of these Headphones. AFAIK it is the first of its kind in this area (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #505 of 3,671
    Has anyone ever found out what DAC is being used in this can for the USB listening mode? I have not found out myself. I think it will take actually asking Sennheiser. I guess I don't REALLY need to know. I was just curious, because they sound absolutely marvelous in this mode (to me, night and day difference vs. BT mode).

On the same topic, I can't really figure out why this mode deserved only one sentence in the manual. I would think Senn would want everyone to know about this mode, when doing reviews of these Headphones. AFAIK it is the first of its kind in this area (please correct me if I'm wrong).

The USB likely is the same DAC as the BT mode, its just full bit rate instead of compressed audio over BT.

Feb 15, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #506 of 3,671
Not really that important, but does the US version of the M2 Wireless have the same british vocal assistant? The Plantronics Backbeat Pro give you the choice to change it to whichever language you want, so I set it to american english which I am more used to. Wish the Sennheiser could do the same.

Feb 15, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #508 of 3,671
  It is understandable that connection is lost when covering the receiver. Also covering the transmitter of course cuts the connection. Yes, placing the phone to right pocket improves the connection a lot. However, even then I did experience one or two short break ups.

I have 60€ Sony BT headphones that play music perfectly without any interruptions no matter which pocket I have my iPhone in. This tells me that it should be possible to use wireless BT headphones without the need to bring the sound source right next to the headphones and I think it is not too much to expect to have uninterrupted connection also with a 500€ headphones.

edit: Sorry if my post seems somehow aggressive, this is not my intention at all. I'm just trying to express my concern that with this high quality product this should not be an issue and I hope there will be an improvement to this somehow.

That's interesting, I'll be receiving my wireless Momentums in a few days so I'm curious to see how serious the issue is. The issue I cited was not meant to be deal-breakingly serious but rather an occasional occurrence that I experience with my Jaybird Freedoms (which are BT2.1, so yes logically one would hope such an issue would be eliminated by now).

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #509 of 3,671
Hmm, I have only had these a little over a week now, and already the pads have built up memory to how wear them. This is not a problem as yet, but since I just got them, I am concerned about whether the material inside the pads well break down quickly it not. Here are a couple of photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back