Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Feb 10, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #376 of 3,671
Had my urbanite xl wire get caught today and pulled out of my iPod. Man. I cannot wait till the m2's come in. By the way, have there been sound signature remarks on these yet? I'm not exactly looking for bass, although that'd be nice. Listen to a lot of rock, alternative, really a wide range of music.

Feb 10, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #377 of 3,671

Yeah, the remote looks better, and probably is easier to operate by feel with its contouring, but I'm listening almost exclusively from the AK100II these days which is incompatible with either remote and has its own external physical controls, so the functionality of the iDevice/Android remotes isn't an issue. A big reason I AM using the iPhone cable from the original Momentum, though, is because I LOVE the articulating device-end plug. The fixed 90-degree plug on the cable for the M2 is a retrograde step.

Yeah, I have went over to the cable from my M1s too. I don't really need the controls, but love the plug also.

Feb 10, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #378 of 3,671
Had my urbanite xl wire get caught today and pulled out of my iPod. Man. I cannot wait till the m2's come in. By the way, have there been sound signature remarks on these yet? I'm not exactly looking for bass, although that'd be nice. Listen to a lot of rock, alternative, really a wide range of music.

On the Urbanite XL or the M2? If you are talking about the M2 I can tell you that the quantity of bass is the same as the M1, but the clarity has been boosted, so you can now better distinguish the different sounds at sub, and mid lower levels... The transitions between the lows and mids has been improved too, so it is pretty darned smooth when going between the two.

I think they have taken the sig of the M1, and simply improved on that (fixed the things that people were complaining about). So, think M1, but with brighter treble, more imaging, more sound stage, and the same (mostly) up front mids (to my ears anyhow, feel free to test and share your disagreements).  

The lows are also faster, so there is more energy to the music. This makes listening to rock and that type of music a much more enjoyable experience (I listen to rock, alt, metal.... But also a wide range besides).

Feb 10, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #380 of 3,671
First time momentum user here.. The Urbanites were just known for bass... Looks like I'm in for a new world

A lot of people thought the M1 had too much bass, but I thought it was just a tad muddy and not as tight and controlled as it should be. The new ones (IMO) have the same amount, but it is controlled much better, so it seems less boomy, or bloated sounding.... Make no mistake though, it will hit pretty hard on parts that call for it to.

I have not heard the Urbanites. Are they really that bassy?

Feb 10, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #381 of 3,671
  A lot of people thought the M1 had too much bass, but I thought it was just a tad muddy and not as tight and controlled as it should be. The new ones (IMO) have the same amount, but it is controlled much better, so it seems less boomy, or bloated sounding.... Make no mistake though, it will hit pretty hard on parts that call for it to.

I have not heard the Urbanites. Are they really that bassy?

Yes! However I'm a bit biased because they didn't feel so comfortable due to small earcups. I think that would make a difference, but yes bass was pretty prominent. Definitely what they marketed it to be. Rock songs don't have the same clear instrumentation.

Feb 10, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #382 of 3,671
Ok, since the M2's showed up on my doorstep in good time, I'm going to answer my previous post in comparing these to the Plantronics Backbeat Pro. This is no easy take but here goes.

This is the first pair of Sennheiser's I've heard, so no previous bias here other than knowing the good name. Obviously, what others have said about the design of the M2's is true...they are the best fitting, most comfortable phones I've tried. And against the bulky Plantronics, there is no contest. The ANC on the M2's performed noticeably better, both with lower frequencies and random sounds. I do prefer the ease of control of the Plantronics, as well as the ability to auto pause the music when you remove them.

In regard to sound performance (wireless only), the Plantronics focus more on the ends of the spectrum. The lows are broader providing a fuller sound, whereas the M2's seem to do a better job isolating instruments in that range. Using Rush's Moving Pictures as a test, I was able to "follow" the bass a little better with the M2's, but the Plantronics provided more breadth and overall fullness. Probably the biggest difference I heard was the stretch at the higher frequencies with the Plantronics -- strings, horns, and vocals certainly have a brighter flavor. The M2's do have a nudge in the mids, but with some rock and jazz, I felt it was somewhat too concentrated, and in a few songs, overshadowed the highs. I also did limited testing with electronic music and both phones did very well -- the M2's having a tighter punch in the low range and the Plantronics creating more separation at the high end.

Bottom line, very tough call here, and certainly choosing one over the other is going to be based on one's listening preference. If I had to lean, it would be with the Plantronics, but in fairness to the Senn's, they need much more listening time. 

Feb 10, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #383 of 3,671
  Ok, since the M2's showed up on my doorstep in good time, I'm going to answer my previous post in comparing these to the Plantronics Backbeat Pro. This is no easy take but here goes.

This is the first pair of Sennheiser's I've heard, so no previous bias here other than knowing the good name. Obviously, what others have said about the design of the M2's is true...they are the best fitting, most comfortable phones I've tried. And against the bulky Plantronics, there is no contest. The ANC on the M2's performed noticeably better, both with lower frequencies and random sounds. I do prefer the ease of control of the Plantronics, as well as the ability to auto pause the music when you remove them.

In regard to sound performance (wireless only), the Plantronics focus more on the ends of the spectrum. The lows are broader providing a fuller sound, whereas the M2's seem to do a better job isolating instruments in that range. Using Rush's Moving Pictures as a test, I was able to "follow" the bass a little better with the M2's, but the Plantronics provided more breadth and overall fullness. Probably the biggest difference I heard was the stretch at the higher frequencies with the Plantronics -- classical strings, horns, and vocals certainly have a brighter flavor. The M2's do have a nudge in the mids, but with some rock and jazz, I felt it was somewhat too concentrated, and in some songs, overshadowed the highs. I also did some limited testing with electronic music and both phones did very well -- the M2's having a tighter punch in the low range and the Plantronics creating more separation at the high end.

Bottom line, very tough call here, and certainly choosing one over the other is going to be based on one's listening preference. If I had to lean, it would be with the Plantronics, but in fairness to the Senn's, they need much more listening time. 

great comparison. couple of questions:

can these function wired too?
and what music do you listen to?

Feb 10, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #384 of 3,671
  great comparison. couple of questions:

can these function wired too?
and what music do you listen to?

Both the Backbeat Pro and M2's can function wired. There was little sound difference with the BB Pro, and I haven't tried the M2's wired yet. As a frequent traveler, I go wireless only.

I hope this isn't against the rules, but I listen to all genres outside of pop and rap. I tend to gravitate toward instrumental music, whether it be electronic, classical, or older jazz. As a child of the '80's, I still occasionally go retro with the likes of U2, Police, Rush, Zep. And lately, since buying my Taylor acoustic, I'm playing and listening to a good amount of folk, a la Steve Earle. 

Feb 10, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #385 of 3,671

Both the Backbeat Pro and M2's can function wired. There was little sound difference with the BB Pro, and I haven't tried the M2's wired yet. As a frequent traveler, I go wireless only.

I hope this isn't against the rules, but I listen to all genres outside of pop and rap. I tend to gravitate toward instrumental music, whether it be electronic, classical, or older jazz. As a child of the '80's, I still occasionally go retro with the likes of U2, Police, Rush, Zep. And lately, since buying my Taylor acoustic, I'm playing and listening to a good amount of folk, a la Steve Earle. 

According to previous posts in this thread, the difference in sound between wired and wireless with the M2 is quite noticable, in a positive way. Always nice to have that option too!

I don't see why that'd be against the rules. I was born in the 90's, and am starting to add the 70's/80's to my library. Do you feel the M2's shine on tracks from that era? Or do you think they shine on more of the classical, folk, or jazz?

Feb 10, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #386 of 3,671
  According to previous posts in this thread, the difference in sound between wired and wireless with the M2 is quite noticable, in a positive way. Always nice to have that option too!

I don't see why that'd be against the rules. I was born in the 90's, and am starting to add the 70's/80's to my library. Do you feel the M2's shine on tracks from that era? Or do you think they shine on more of the classical, folk, or jazz?

I don't think I can make that comparison. The senn's just seem to have a tighter and flatter response. I guess some would call it a more "natural" or "truer" sound. Perhaps they better represent or reproduce the technology available during the 70's & '80's, but I'm no audiophile...I just know what I like :)

Feb 11, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #390 of 3,671
Hi, hope I'm not repeating a post/question, very time consuming to read everything...

I've just received my momentum wireless a few days ago, using it with the Sony Xperia Z3.

I have something I still cannot understand in the Bluetooth/aptx technology: does the SQ mainly controlled by the Momentum wireless electronics (dac/amp) as the music is streamed digitally from the Z3 ? will I have an upgrade switching to the Sony A15 walkman or even the ZX2 if I want to use the Momentum over the  Bluetooth/aptx ?

Thanks.
Roy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back