Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Nov 13, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #4,996 of 7,699
Sylaw - thank you for the detailed response!

It sounds very promising : )

Currently, certain tracks really shine with the IE80s such as 'Somewhere Only We Know' by Keane. But it sounds a bit congested with tracks by Rage Against The Machine... hopefuly this will imrpove when the sound opens up and becomes a bit more articulate.

Thanks

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #4,998 of 7,699
I don't think that burn in will bring huge changes but getting used to them may. I was very dissapointed with the IE8's initially but after using them for a while began to appreciate their strengths. I also think that they benefit from being amped ( others disagree) and of course the custom tips that I keep banging on about! The IE'8's are not perfect but what is?

Nov 13, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #5,001 of 7,699
I don't think that burn in will bring huge changes but getting used to them may. I was very dissapointed with the IE8's initially but after using them for a while began to appreciate their strengths. I also think that they benefit from being amped ( others disagree) and of course the custom tips that I keep banging on about! The IE'8's are not perfect but what

Thanks for the impressions krismusic! I am actually on my FOURTH pair of IE8s and I've never experienced the long burn in! They always sound great out of the box for me, and I've never really noticed any changes. I think they do benefit from an amp, but from my experience the improvement was so marginal that I felt it was unnecessary since the IEMs sound that amazing directly from my DAPs. I was skeptical at first, but the biggest improvements I've heard with these IEMs was with an alternative cable. I was shocked! What are your final thoughts on using the IEMs with the Digizoid ZO 2?

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #5,002 of 7,699
Sylaw - thank you for the detailed response!

It sounds very promising : )

Currently, certain tracks really shine with the IE80s such as 'Somewhere Only We Know' by Keane. But it sounds a bit congested with tracks by Rage Against The Machine... hopefuly this will imrpove when the sound opens up and becomes a bit more articulate.

Thanks

Try and get a listen to them with the iPhone 5S. There is something I am not keen on with the 5S but I have never heard the IE8's sound so clear and with such good separation.

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #5,003 of 7,699
Hi Honeyboy.
I just had another listen with the Zo2.
Really not bad.
With the bass at min on the Zo2.
The top end is maybe not as refined as my Arrow and the Zo is a bit noisy. About a third of the price though!
Turn the bass setting up on the Zo and things get pretty silly. Although it has good control of the excessive amounts of bass it pumps out.
Where the Zo 2 really shines is with bass light headphones IMHO.
As to cables. Can. Worms. Open!
I do not believe that electricity cares whether it is flowing along OFC or silver.
I reckon that the brain is amazingly complex and capable of creating all kinds of illusions.
In fact take my impressions with caution. I am as susceptible to placebo and perception bias as anyone!
At the moment the biggest difference I have heard from the 8's has been changing the source. The iPhone 5S improves the mid bass. Although at the expense of other areas IMO.

Nov 14, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #5,004 of 7,699
Hi Honeyboy.
I just had another listen with the Zo2.
Really not bad.
With the bass at min on the Zo2.
The top end is maybe not as refined as my Arrow and the Zo is a bit noisy. About a third of the price though!
Turn the bass setting up on the Zo and things get pretty silly. Although it has good control of the excessive amounts of bass it pumps out.
Where the Zo 2 really shines is with bass light headphones IMHO.
As to cables. Can. Worms. Open!
I do not believe that electricity cares whether it is flowing along OFC or silver.
I reckon that the brain is amazingly complex and capable of creating all kinds of illusions.
In fact take my impressions with caution. I am as susceptible to placebo and perception bias as anyone!
At the moment the biggest difference I have heard from the 8's has been changing the source. The iPhone 5S improves the mid bass. Although at the expense of other areas IMO.

Honestly, you're probably right. Quite smart to think that way. The thing is once you've been brainwashed, it's hard to see otherwise. I asked about the Zo2 because I was a tad interested, but I have took an unexpected turn to purchasing another portable amplifier, the Tralucent audio T1. I may have spoken too fast...

Nov 14, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #5,005 of 7,699
I was thinking further about this. If it is placebo does it matter? If the improvement is consistently present...
The Zo 3 is due soon. Using the vector tech for treble as well as bass. Digizoid claim that the amp will be silent.
I must admit I am prejudiced against heavy processing. That's probably ignorant of me. If it is done well why not?
There is something nice about simplicity though. How's the T1?

Nov 15, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #5,006 of 7,699
An update on the IE80..

Have now had approx. 35 hours use... whether it's burn-in or brain burn lol, these are starting to sound very good with many genres of music with the bass knob at zero.

When I first tried them I could hardly hear the vocals in 'Killing In The Name' by RATM, but now, much better separation and clearer vocals.

Like some others, I also wear these like normal buds after switching the cable (down, rather than over the ear) and I feel that now I have found an easy to pick up and go portable setup with the Sansa Clip Plus, and I do feel the sound will improve the more I listen to them.

Surprisingly the best tips for me are currently ones off an old pair of cheap skull candy buds that I had lying around, but have also ordered some Auvio tips from the USA which should be on the way soon. 

I may try a Toxic Cables silver cable upgrade in the future, but for now I feel that the sound is pretty close to what I like already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back