Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Nov 7, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #4,982 of 7,699
I have read and read about how people can't get a good seal with these with the tips provided ..everyone asks ..what tips insulate the best and so on...my opinion would be that sennheiser are not dumb and probably do a lot of research on these thing... In my opinion..they made these things not to fully insulate really well on purpose..to me..even though the tips provided do not insulate really well like other iems I own..but they still sound great. ..I've tried other tips too and to me the tips provided sound the best..again this is only my opinion . Happy listening..:)

You may be right but I have to say that the 8's became much more interesting for me with custom tips. YMMV. I also think that it is significant that ACS chose to add the IE8 to the very short list of IEM's that they make custom tips for.

Nov 7, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #4,983 of 7,699
You may be right but I have to say that the 8's became much more interesting for me with custom tips. YMMV. I also think that it is significant that ACS chose to add the IE8 to the very short list of IEM's that they make custom tips for.

@burtomr Exactly!! haha

Hi krismusic, I recall your initial disappointment with the IE8s a few years ago. I still adhere to the viewpoint that I have posited in a post above, but I would be very interested if you can share what made the IE8s more interesting for you after the custom tips. Thanks.

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #4,984 of 7,699
Hi Honeyboy. You have a very good memory! I've been using the IE8's for a few years now. You are right. When I first got them I just could not understand what the designer was thinking.
They have always seemed flawed to me but I did kind of get used to them.
With the tips the mid bass veil is still very much there but I think that the other frequencies frequencies have come some way toward meeting it.
Detail is also improved. IMO.
Incidentally, I never had a problem getting a good seal with the supplied tips and did try different levels of insertion.
It is since trying a couple of other IEM's that I realise how well the 8's suit me.

Nov 9, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #4,985 of 7,699
Hi Honeyboy. You have a very good memory! I've been using the IE8's for a few years now. You are right. When I first got them I just could not understand what the designer was thinking.
They have always seemed flawed to me but I did kind of get used to them.
With the tips the mid bass veil is still very much there but I think that the other frequencies frequencies have come some way toward meeting it.
Detail is also improved. IMO.
Incidentally, I never had a problem getting a good seal with the supplied tips and did try different levels of insertion.
It is since trying a couple of other IEM's that I realise how well the 8's suit me.

Yeah it was quite some time back, but you were quite vocal about it so I remembered haha. Thanks for the brief impressions. It's good to see that you've managed to come around to them with the custom tips. Sometimes taking a taste of something else gives you perspective on what you already have, and perhaps even greater appreciation of it. I'm not leaving you alone just yet though...When you say the 'mid bass veil', do you mean that you haven't perceived any improvement in clarity over normal ear tips ? Consequently, is bass quantity increased with these tips (my major concern)? Also, are these custom tips bonded to the body of the IEM or can they be removed so that you can go back to the regular tips if you so desire? Thanks...

Nov 9, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #4,986 of 7,699
Hi Honeyboy. No need to leave me alone! It is good to swap info and opinions. To answer your last question first. The custom tips are completely removable.
Even with the tips I would not call the 8's neutral or even balanced.
I would say that the midbass still sounds "thick" but the rest of the frequencies gain clarity and definition.
Bass and Treble quantity is not increased but it's quality is IMHO.
Just for a bit of context. The other IEM's that I tried were a pair of Musical Fidelity EB 50's which sounded very good but did not suit my ears.
Next was a pair of ACS T-15's. Good but lacking the scale and weight of the IE8's. I couldn't really get a very good seal with the T-15's until I got the custom tips for those.
At this point I would not buy a pair of universals that ACS do not do tips for...

Nov 9, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #4,987 of 7,699
Hey, thanks for the impressions with custom tips, I am interested in some, but just not yet. Maybe if I can find someone who does cheap ear impressions. Just curious if you've tried the tape mod, it tames the mid bass a bit.

Nov 9, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #4,988 of 7,699
I did try the tape mod. I felt that it made the sound anaemic. Maybe I didn't give it a fair chance. I am very sceptical of mods. I figure that if the original designer did not know what he was doing (unlikely!) then it is not probable that anyone is going to stumble across a "fix".YMMV.
BTW. I would find someone who does good impressions. The whole exercise rather depends on good impressions.

Nov 9, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #4,989 of 7,699
I actually enjoyed the tape mod when I had the bass dial set in the middle, had good sub bass presence with less mid bass bloat imo. I also found the mod on bass dial set to min made the ie80's a bit boring.

Sorry for being off topic but any recommendations for good audiologist in London?

Nov 9, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #4,990 of 7,699
  Correct. The best tips for the 80s I have used are the Auvios. I might check out the UEs after reading that recommendation.

This is correct. I tried all the stock Senn tips, but the Auvios have the best clarity but it somehow mutes the bass just a tad when compared with the stock silicon tips.

Nov 9, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #4,991 of 7,699
I'll have to try it again. Only a bit of tape to lose!
I had a 'mare with my first attempt at impressions and gave up. Then I was recommended a guy by ACS who lived just down the road from me. He took open mouth impressions and bingo! Right first time.
Nice guy too. PM me for his number if you like. He's in North London.

Nov 10, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #4,992 of 7,699
  I'll have to try it again. Only a bit of tape to lose!
I had a 'mare with my first attempt at impressions and gave up. Then I was recommended a guy by ACS who lived just down the road from me. He took open mouth impressions and bingo! Right first time.
Nice guy too. PM me for his number if you like. He's in North London.

Hi, thanks, but north London is a bit too far for me, live in south east London. Still trying to justify the price of custom tips.

Nov 10, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #4,993 of 7,699
Personally I would travel across London for a good Audiologist. If you do get the tips sometime you could call ACS and ask if they can recommend someone in your area. 

Nov 12, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #4,994 of 7,699
Got these on Saturday, so far so good! I previoulsy had V-Moda M80 but could never get a good seal and wanted something more portable.

I am using them with a Sansa Clip+ and mostly FLAC files.

I have noticed a slight improvement in sound after approx. 20 hours of use... more controlled bass and slightly more refined treble.

My question is, will the sound 'open up' further with more burn in? How exactly does the sound change with the burn-in process?

Thanks

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #4,995 of 7,699
Okay.... sound do improve after a proper burn in. but how? after 100 hrs youll hear that the harsh treble will fade away and the low rumble starts to get tight. + the presentation will be slightly airy as well.. After 400 hours , youll get the full treat :wink: and FYI- people hear things differently, so you may not get the same sensation that i had ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back